Old July 15th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that persondie?

Al Klein wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Your assertion that transmitting GPS coordinates is not
a GPS-based system is obviously ridiculous and hopefully
just a bad joke. Better luck next time.

No GPS, the notification still occurs. No radio, the notice doesn't
occur. What was the notification based on, again?

Any notification that reports GPS coordinates is GPS-based,
by definition. When you add GPS capability to a radio
transmitter, it doesn't cease to be radio-based but it also
becomes GPS-based. It's not an either/or mutual exclusive
situation. Just as one can have a vehicle that is both
white and a Chevrolet, one can have an emergency system
that is both GPS-based and radio-based.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 16th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote in
oups.com:

Dirk wrote:
Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

:-(

Many ham are American Red Cross first aid and adult CPR instructors.

That trumps CW at any speed.

Have you ever givin CPR to a person 500 miles away? You must have long
arms.

Sc
Old July 16th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

"an old friend" wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:

Many ham are American Red Cross first aid and adult CPR instructors.

That trumps CW at any speed.

lol thank you for that

Sorry Mark, the pumping and blowing you know isn't called CPR.

SC

Old July 16th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
"an old friend" wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:

Many ham are American Red Cross first aid and adult CPR instructors.

That trumps CW at any speed.

lol thank you for that

Sorry Mark, the pumping and blowing you know isn't called CPR.

i am skilled at CPR amoug other thing

you uon the other have given us no reason to say your skilled at
anything

SC

Old July 16th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

"clfe" wrote in
:

"Alun L. Palmer" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in
s.com:

If you asked the same question to someone who had only passed 5 wpm
and then, like me, never used it, then I suspect the victim wouldn't
make it. But then in most countries there is NO morse code testing any
more, so there are plenty of hams now who've never learnt atall. For
decades there have been no code VHF hams in most countries anyway.

To "some" extent, I "may" have to disagree. I held a class once for "No
Code Tech" and one of the guys - a man in his 70s asked if he could go
for the code test even though I wasn't teaching code. He said he had
learned it years ago in the service - but may be rusty. Let me tell you
- when he was done testing, he had PERFECT copy. Was he practicing all
along? We'll never know - nor did I ask. He has since passed on. Some
people DO have a good memory and retain quite well. Others - lose
things almost immediately if not used. Some of us, it takes a while to
lose it and we usually do.

Lou

It is possible that someone could learn at 5wpm, not use it for years, and
still be able to use it, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

More to the point is I can't magine a scenario in which CW would be the
only mode available, and that hams are about the only remaining users of
CW.
Old July 16th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Alun L. Palmer wrote:
More to the point is I can't magine a scenario in which CW would be the
only mode available, and that hams are about the only remaining users of
CW.

How about a portable QRPer, camping out of range of
a cellphone tower, who falls and can't reach his beer?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 16th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

In article , "Alun L.
Palmer" wrote:

Assuming some weird contrived scenario where I had the equipment to send CW
but not phone, it would depend what frequencies it worked on.

I think this is the nature of the premise on which the original post was based.

Compare it to a similar situation, where a film camera user is debating a
digital camera user:

"If you came upon a drowning man, and you had to choose whether to save
him or photograph his demise, what kind of film would you use?"
Old July 16th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 16 Jul 2006 18:51:21 +0200, "Alun L. Palmer"
wrote:

More to the point is I can't magine a scenario in which CW would be the
only mode available

A transmitter with no mic, no computer - just a transmit switch. Or
not even a transmit switch, but you can get to one of the battery
wires. Far fetched, but it could happen.

and that hams are about the only remaining users of CW.

Boy Scouts? The military no longer uses CW - what used to be passed
by brass pounders is now passed digitally. Merchant Marine? Same
thing. Aero commo? Same thing, except for voice. I doubt any group
or service actually uses it these days.