Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 30th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that persondie?

Lloyd 4 wrote:

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:18:12 +0200 (CEST), George Orwell wrote:

Al Klein said:

Eliminating a requirement is dumbing things down. But no one would
expect you to be able to understand that.

Well, let me ask, from the point of view of a potential noob to the hobby. What use is the code requirements?
I can't really see in today's era, the need for them? I've been surfing around looking at ham and talking to
an old friend that had a license and it look interesting to me.

As long a 'Rare DX' uses CW, CW will live and thrive in the DX community.

A DX pile of 100 stations on CW occupies much less bandwidth than 1 SSB station.
The CW contact rate exceeds the SSB rate.

As long a 'Rare DX' uses CW, CW will live and thrive in the DX community.

It's your choice: if you want to play the DX game learn the rules including 25
wpm CW.

If you want to operate an appliance, but an appliance.