Old July 29th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ten Tec RX-350D discontinued

The Ten Tec RX-350D receiver has been discontinued.

Old July 29th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"H. State" wrote:

The Ten Tec RX-350D receiver has been discontinued.

Yep, shown at the end of the description:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0350.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 29th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

That was a computer operated radio,operated via computer,wasen't it?
Will they replace it with something else? I think they should replace it
with non computer operated radios.
cuhulin

Old July 29th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

"H. State" wrote:

The Ten Tec RX-350D receiver has been discontinued.

Yep, shown at the end of the description:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0350.html

Think they will come out with another commercial radio?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old July 29th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

"H. State" wrote:

The Ten Tec RX-350D receiver has been discontinued.

Yep, shown at the end of the description:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0350.html

Think they will come out with another commercial radio?

That's a very good question!

One I certainly don't have an answer for.

Old July 30th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hello All.

This is sad. Several years ago, when I was in the market for a good
tabletop communications receiver, I investigated this model. It was
unfortunate that, though it appeared to have a great deal of promise,
Ten-tec never really followed through with support, "software"
(operating) improvements, etc. (I bought, as many of you know, an AOR
AR7030 Plus.)

To answer another message on this post, while the radio could be
controlled by computer (as can my AOR), it is, in fact, a stand-alone
(traditional) tabletop radio.

Even as it was, however, it was, at least according to virtually all
the reviews I read, a good radio and I know there are many owners who
are very happy with their 350s. This is a sad day for all SW listeners.

In my opinion, should one wish to have a modern, well-designed,
shortwave communications receiver, of which there are fewer and fewer
choices, the time to buy is now. Sacrifice what you will - lunches,
movies, cable-TV, clothes and jewelry for your wife (better have
pre-paid funeral arrangements if you go that route!), whatever - and
buy any one of these top-quality receivers (and I do NOT mean some
"used" eBay wonder!). You won't regret it.

Best,

Joe

Old July 30th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

H. State wrote:
[...]

Yeah that's to bad. This was a consumer priced DSP radio. I know they
were late with the software upgrades but I think people that bought the
radio were finally happy with it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 30th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

In my opinion, should one wish to have a modern, well-designed,
shortwave communications receiver, of which there are fewer and fewer
choices,

Joe, you're right--there are fewer and fewer choices--and on that basis,
now might be the time to buy.

On the other hand, we have to ask the obvious question: WHY are there
fewer and fewer choices?

At least two obvious answers come to mind:

1)The manufacturers see fewer buyers for their products.

2) Maybe the -manufacturers- view short wave as, if not dying, at least
tapering off, with less to listen to and therefore fewer potential buyers.

If the market was there, one would think the manufacturers would be
there to satisfy the demand.

Is the hand writing on the wall?
Old July 30th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

H. State wrote:
[...]

Well, there are new DSP receivers on the way....

http://kd-elektronik.com/index_e.html