Old August 23rd 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Transatlantic MW targets

Steve wrote:
I'm no seasoned MW DXer by any means, but I've been having a lot of fun
lately with my Quantum QX loop. And I'm curious: are there any
transatlantic MW targets that I could reasonably expect to hear using
the loop alone, without attaching a longwire to it? I'm on the East
Coast. I haven't made any transatlantic "catches" yet, but there's
always been unusually bad atmospheric noise when I've tried.

Steve

Just as a follow up, at midnight last night I heard LBC in London on
1152 and listened to it for around half an hour. There were periodic
deep fades that wiped out the signal all together, but for most of that
time I was making easy copy, easily understanding the discussion. Mind
you, I'm sure this station broadcasts with a lot of power, but still it
was a kick to listen to a British AM station.

I also heard Radio Reloj again on 790. This time around I was using the
Quantum Loop with an SW77.

Steve

Old August 27th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:
I'm no seasoned MW DXer by any means, but I've been having a lot of fun
lately with my Quantum QX loop. And I'm curious: are there any
transatlantic MW targets that I could reasonably expect to hear using
the loop alone, without attaching a longwire to it? I'm on the East
Coast. I haven't made any transatlantic "catches" yet, but there's
always been unusually bad atmospheric noise when I've tried.

Steve

Where exactly are you on the East Coast? If you are in the northeast try
for England on 1215 kHz, Croatia on 1134 kHz, Monaco on 1467 kHz, Saudi
Arabia on 1521 kHz, the Vatican on 1611 kHz. Too bad Norway on 1314 kHz
is no longer broadcasting.

JB