Old August 20th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Transatlantic MW targets

I'm no seasoned MW DXer by any means, but I've been having a lot of fun
lately with my Quantum QX loop. And I'm curious: are there any
transatlantic MW targets that I could reasonably expect to hear using
the loop alone, without attaching a longwire to it? I'm on the East
Coast. I haven't made any transatlantic "catches" yet, but there's
always been unusually bad atmospheric noise when I've tried.

Steve

Old August 21st 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:
I'm no seasoned MW DXer by any means, but I've been having a lot of fun
lately with my Quantum QX loop. And I'm curious: are there any
transatlantic MW targets that I could reasonably expect to hear using
the loop alone, without attaching a longwire to it? I'm on the East
Coast. I haven't made any transatlantic "catches" yet, but there's
always been unusually bad atmospheric noise when I've tried.

Steve

I Think most Trans oceanic MW DX'ing that I've read about is done in an
almost totally RF free environment ( Beach, Way out in The Woods, )
etc.

http://www.dxing.info/articles/hitech.dx

Old August 21st 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Steve wrote:
I'm no seasoned MW DXer by any means, but I've been having a lot of fun
lately with my Quantum QX loop. And I'm curious: are there any
transatlantic MW targets that I could reasonably expect to hear using
the loop alone, without attaching a longwire to it? I'm on the East
Coast. I haven't made any transatlantic "catches" yet, but there's
always been unusually bad atmospheric noise when I've tried.

Steve

I Think most Trans oceanic MW DX'ing that I've read about is done in an
almost totally RF free environment ( Beach, Way out in The Woods, )
etc.

http://www.dxing.info/articles/hitech.dx

I'm sure you're right. Although, I have heard people report an
occasional stroke of luck using the Kiwa loop, given favorable
conditions of course. Since the Quantum is reputed to be comparable to
the Kiwa, I just wonder how much "luck" it would take. I guess there's
no way to find out except by trying....I might have to take it to one
of the more remote beaches on Long Island or something.

Old August 21st 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve wrote:
I'm no seasoned MW DXer by any means, but I've been having a lot of fun
lately with my Quantum QX loop. And I'm curious: are there any
transatlantic MW targets that I could reasonably expect to hear using
the loop alone, without attaching a longwire to it? I'm on the East
Coast. I haven't made any transatlantic "catches" yet, but there's
always been unusually bad atmospheric noise when I've tried.

Steve

I Think most Trans oceanic MW DX'ing that I've read about is done in an
almost totally RF free environment ( Beach, Way out in The Woods, )
etc.

It is not that hard, since most European and northern African stations are
on non-used channels in the US. Since Europe uses 9 kHz separation, there
are all kinds of stations that can be heard, even in metro areas on loops,
as long as you have a reasonably selective receiver that has the ability to
count in 1 kHz increments.

Over the last few decades, despite congestion of US channels, Europeans have
been easily heard all over the eastern US.

Although it was years ago, in Cleveland 935 from Morocco was heard nearly
every night, especially during Ramadan when it ran 24/7... this on an HQ 180
with an air core loop. The NRC or IRCA club pages may help, but this is very
doable.

Old August 21st 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve,

Doug is absolutely correct when he says " What you hear will depend
considerably on exactly where you are and what frequenies your strong locals
are on."

I was one of the co-authors of the high tech DX article you referenced, and
it's very true that a RF-quiet, seaside location is the best by far. The sea
gain enhancement on MW frequencies can only be found within a few miles of a
salt water boundary...better yet, within a few hundred yards of the ocean.

However, with perseverence you can hear DX inland. My home is in the
suburban Seattle-Tacoma area, and I hear Asian DX occasionally, and DU
(Aussie and Kiwi) stations less frequently. I am 100+ miles inland, and over
a mountain range, from Asian signals.

This morning wasn't particularly good propagation on MW, but I still had
audio from HLAZ in Cheju, South Korea on 1566, and RFO Tahiti 738. I had 15
or 20 peaks on other split frequencies showing on the spectrum scope of my
SDR-1000, but they weren't strong enough for audio.

The autumn of 2004 was particularly good from home for trans-Pacific MW DX,
with memorable catches such as RTM-Sarawak Malaysia, numerous Japanese and
Chinese stations, and a Russian or two.

The bottom of the solar cycle is the best for MW DX, so hopefully this
coming season will be very good.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA
www.sdr-1000.blogspot.com

Old August 21st 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Han Han is offline

Steve wrote:
I'm no seasoned MW DXer by any means, but I've been having a lot of fun
lately with my Quantum QX loop. And I'm curious: are there any
transatlantic MW targets that I could reasonably expect to hear using
the loop alone, without attaching a longwire to it? I'm on the East
Coast. I haven't made any transatlantic "catches" yet, but there's
always been unusually bad atmospheric noise when I've tried.

Steve

The other way around I could give advice, as I am living in the
Netherlands.

On my website are a lot of recordings transatlantic recordings from a
DX pedition to Sheigra Scotland http://home.hetnet.nl/~hanhardonk/

But also in my home I heard a lot of transatlantic radio stations..
Ilive in a small village.I use a Wellbrook ALA 1530. A very good
mediumwave antenna

Greetings han her Netherlands.

Old August 21st 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

A bunch of years,one night when I was driving South on the A1A Highway
(East coast of Florida) I picked up on my van radio a radio station in
Ireland.
cuhulin

Old August 21st 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Han ''her Netherlands''? Back in the 1960's there was a music group (if
you aren't from the old South,you probally dont know what I am talking
about) and I remember the first two lines of two of their songs.

Oh,I Lobster,then I Flounder.Another one is,I held her but,she got into
the Train.
I am not too sure if I remember the exact titles of those old songs from
the 1970's and who sang them crazy songs.I sure would like to find them
on a CD or whatever,somewhere.
cuhulin

Old August 21st 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 20 Aug 2006 23:06:19 -0700, Han wrote:

Steve wrote:
I'm no seasoned MW DXer by any means, but I've been having a lot of fun
lately with my Quantum QX loop. And I'm curious: are there any
transatlantic MW targets that I could reasonably expect to hear using
the loop alone, without attaching a longwire to it? I'm on the East
Coast. I haven't made any transatlantic "catches" yet, but there's
always been unusually bad atmospheric noise when I've tried.

Steve

The other way around I could give advice, as I am living in the
Netherlands.

I live in North England, and I listen to US and Canadian staions
quite often. A few years back, when conditions were better, CJON
(Newfoundland) was as loud as a local station some nights.

But also in my home I heard a lot of transatlantic radio stations..
Ilive in a small village.I use a Wellbrook ALA 1530. A very good
mediumwave antenna

I usually use an old Trio R1000 and a short whip antenna outside.
The R1000 is rigged so the 2.4KHz SSB filter is available in AM mode,
it makes all the difference, but for difficult stations I use SSB,
tuning to zero-beat with the carrier. If things get _really_ difficult
I also have a Racal RA-1792 and a selection of better antennas :-)

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!
Old August 21st 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You anywhere near Newcastle,England? I know of a guy from Lafayette
County,Indiana (his name is Bob) and he married a divorced woman (with
kids) in the somewhere around the Newcastle area.
cuhulin