Old August 21st 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default If something like 'Spectrum' were to return...

....what would you want it to be? We've been asked about it and are giving
it some thought.

There's so much technical stuff on the mainstream media anymore that the
'Spectrum' concept of 10+ years ago is moot. If we decided to do a
'Spectrum'-like prgoram again, what would you want to hear?

We like the idea of the casual chat segment and the phone calls. That
part's easy. But with no staff (and no money!) how do we go about getting
the "technical" information that once made us unique and special? And what
do we do that would distinguish us from the other programs out there?

Marty and I are kicking it around and could use your suggestions. Should we
even bother?

Stan
Old August 21st 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Stan wrote:
...what would you want it to be? We've been asked about it and are giving
it some thought.

There's so much technical stuff on the mainstream media anymore that the
'Spectrum' concept of 10+ years ago is moot. If we decided to do a
'Spectrum'-like prgoram again, what would you want to hear?

if you want answer you might provide more info on what you are tlaking
about

just a suggestion
Stan

Old August 22nd 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 21 Aug 2006 14:52:25 -0700, wrote:

Stan wrote:
...what would you want it to be? We've been asked about it and are giving
it some thought.

There's so much technical stuff on the mainstream media anymore that the
'Spectrum' concept of 10+ years ago is moot. If we decided to do a
'Spectrum'-like prgoram again, what would you want to hear?

if you want answer you might provide more info on what you are tlaking
about

just a suggestion
Stan

Sure. Once upon a time (1993-2004ish) there was a program on WWCR called
'Spectrum', subtitled 'The World's Communications and Technology Magazine
Program.' Each week the program would start with some news and features
such as news about the broadcast radio industry such as format and call
sign changes, some computer features, a hamfest calendar, etc. Then there
was a period of general BS by the hosts to add a dash of personality. The
crux of the show was originally an interview segment with the guest of the
week talking about a variety of radio / technology topics. We talked about
everything from tube manufacture, FCC enforccement, satellites, and LPFM to
code / no-code debates, flying cars and time travel. We'd take phone calls
and folks could ask the guests questions. Sometimes we would have a Q&A
where listeners would ask questions and the hosts and other callers would
provide answers. In this regard we have been compared to 'Car Talk' for
technology.

There may be a few former listeners in the group who can share their
experiences, but that's the genreal idea.

As time went on, and more and more technology information came along on the
web and "regular" news channels. the show became less focused partly due to
a lack of staff. We were all volunteers and we all had "real" lives. As
much as CR wanted the show to stay on the air, we just couldn't keep it
going.

Looking at it with a fresh eye, we're wondering if we couldn't bring it
back in some form. Hope that helps.

Stan

Old August 22nd 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Stan wrote:
[...]

souds interesting and the dates explain why I missed altogther as I was
exploring my ham license ans then oving
Stan

Old August 22nd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default If something like 'Spectrum' were to return... - Markie, Just ignore them.

" wrote in
ups.com:

Stan wrote:
...what would you want it to be? We've been asked about it and are
giving it some thought.

There's so much technical stuff on the mainstream media anymore that
the 'Spectrum' concept of 10+ years ago is moot. If we decided to do a
'Spectrum'-like prgoram again, what would you want to hear?

if you want answer you might provide more info on what you are tlaking
about

just a suggestion
Stan

Markie, Just ignore them.

They only tease you because of the stupid things you say when you
follow up. Just ignore them and they'll give up.

Stop giving them reasons to tease you. It only makes you look
more stupid.

Take a break from the radio groups for a while, Maybe work on your
moon bounce some more or clean up your yard.

SC

Old August 22nd 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Try soliciting tech info from NG posters. I'd be happy to contribute
something on computers/computer protection/web development, as well as what
little I've learned about SWL . . .

.. .