Old August 23rd 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Generational Gap

Bob Miller wrote:
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:57:29 GMT, David wrote:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -

"You listen to these modern records, they're atrocious, they have
sound all over them," he added. "There's no definition of nothing, no
vocal, no nothing, just like ... static."

Well, when I used to buy 33-1/3 rpm LPs there was all kinds of surface
noise, pops and clicks, all over them. Columbia Records, Dylan's
label, was especially atrocious in their LP manufacturing.

Nothing like listening to music on 1st generation tape, in the studio,
on big JBL speakers, that I agree.

Bob
k5qwg

Dylan said he does his best to fight technology, but it's a losing
battle.

"Even these songs probably sounded ten times better in the studio when
we recorded 'em. CDs are small. There's no stature to it."

................................................. .................................................. ...................
Each generation has its own music and artists. I was watching "Pal Joey" on Turner yesterday, and the arrangements, music, and songs (Sinatra) sounded great to me. On the other hand, rappers and screeching females of the current music scene give me a serious headache. I suppose Nelson Riddle, Mancini, Brubeck, and all the other instrumentalists of that era give generation x'ers a headache. Perhaps it is true that each generation picks music that their parents hate as a ritual of independence. One thing is for su advancing technology has not done much to improve the quality of recorded sound. I remember my home-built Hi-Fi setup of the 50's: KT66 finals glowing, Acrosound output, Wharfdale cs-12 with a sand-filled cabinet, and some carefully-made German Polydor lp's playing The Bristol Bar Quintet on a good Garrard. It sounded just as good as any new-tech Chinese outfit playing compressed mp3's. Just remember, music is a generational thing. I just shudder to think of the music that the next generation is going to select to rebel against their parents.

Old August 23rd 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
"ve3..." wrote:

Each generation has its own music and artists. I was watching "Pal Joey"
on Turner yesterday, and the arrangements, music, and songs (Sinatra)
sounded great to me. On the other hand, rappers and screeching females of
the current music scene give me a serious headache.

OTOH, I'm 50 and like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Flaming
Lips, Pixies, Arctic Monkeys, Pretty Girls Make Graves, etc.

Good music is always good music.

Mike
Old August 24th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:30:26 -0400, Mike wrote:

In article . com,
"ve3..." wrote:

Each generation has its own music and artists. I was watching "Pal Joey"
on Turner yesterday, and the arrangements, music, and songs (Sinatra)
sounded great to me. On the other hand, rappers and screeching females of
the current music scene give me a serious headache.

OTOH, I'm 50 and like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Flaming
Lips, Pixies, Arctic Monkeys, Pretty Girls Make Graves, etc.

Good music is always good music.

Mike

I'm 57 and like Pantera, Drowning Pool and Tom Waits.
Old August 24th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"ve3..." wrote:

Each generation has its own music and artists. I was watching "Pal
Joey"
on Turner yesterday, and the arrangements, music, and songs (Sinatra)
sounded great to me. On the other hand, rappers and screeching females
of
the current music scene give me a serious headache.

OTOH, I'm 50 and like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Flaming
Lips, Pixies, Arctic Monkeys, Pretty Girls Make Graves, etc.

Good music is always good music.

Mike

I'm 57 and like Pantera, Drowning Pool and Tom Waits.

Great. Isn't it amazing how many people haven't listened to anything
since 1974? "Classic Rock" bull****! It's an oldies station!

Mike