Old September 2nd 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default More on the cross country loop development effort

and some other ramblings of a madman.

I built a 'prototype' 10" loop last night but this is old news.
Worked better than I ever could have hoped it would. I'm working on a
2.5ft loop for the roadtrip. I'm thinking I might be able to tune the
loop to 75m with a tap and work some of my AM buddies too. I decided I
would take my pair of Degen DE1103/Kaito KA1103. The thought crossed
my mind to bring the R75 but I don't think it's field rated -especially
when it travels with me. I went over to Dick's sporting good store but
the $39.95 Coleman dome tent was out of stock. I may just buy my
daughter's off of her. Once I get to LA all the extra gear is going
straight to the Salvation army. I picked up a compass to align my
antenna for a few bucks and a steel nerf type scrubber for cleaning out
the pots and mess kit. Tomorrow I'll head over to the salvation army
and get a crappy pan or two and a fry pan.

I'm making this trip solo. I would love to take my dog but he has to
stay home and guard the 5 wimmen. Four lovely daughters and an awsum
wife. Besides, I don't want to lose him on the road. My 21yo daughter
works for a vet and she has a very nice stray pitt bull looking for a
home. The pitt bull rescue shelter doesn't want her cause the lady
said she already had seven female pitt bulls and she can't take
another. I figure it's doggy death row for this one, so I might just
take her on a nice trip with me. If I become attached to the bitch
then I'll just have to pull the plastic out at LAX and buy her a plane
ticket back to Boston with me. I think dogs ok to fly in baggage if WX
not too cold. I think Wife will probably be in LA when I show up. Her
brother just became a grandfather so she will want to visit and I am
going to twist 4 daughters arms to buy wife a round trip ticket for her
birthday.

Schedule is firm in that I have first two weeks of October off from
work. Exact route is up in the air. I was first going to go across
rt90 and maybe stop to see a friend in Wisconsin. Then I decided to
take a more southerly route across the bottom of Pa then hook over to
Indy and on to St Louis. I want to see the arch. Then I thought to
head south on 81 thru pa into Maryland and Virgina and then North
Carolina. Then thru Tennesee. I just can't decide today. I hope to
have that figured out in a week or so.

73
NEO

Old September 2nd 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Camping Tips

N9NEO wrote:
and some other ramblings ...

Schedule is firm in that I have first two weeks of October off from
work. Exact route is up in the air. I was first going to go across
rt90 and maybe stop to see a friend in Wisconsin. Then I decided to
take a more southerly route across the bottom of Pa then hook over to
Indy and on to St Louis. I want to see the arch. Then I thought to
head south on 81 thru pa into Maryland and Virgina and then North
Carolina. Then thru Tennesee. I just can't decide today. I hope to
have that figured out in a week or so.

73
NEO

.................................................. .................................................. .................

The trip sounds terriffic and it is always the unexpected that makes
the highlights. I have criss-crossed the USA many times, starting with
a tent trailer, then getting a camper van, and ending up with a
smallish Winnebago. I always had a dog along; in fact, I wouldn't camp
without one. Three times over the years, he drove off thugs or thieves,
and his woofy presence was enough to make bad guys go elsewhwere. The
only thing is, if you keep close company with that pit bull for two
weeks, believe me, you won't get rid of her. You will learn some dog
language, rely on her eyes and ears, and realize that she only wants to
please you, while guarding and watching. I have always had
shepherd/huskies and they are marvellous travelling companions. I
haven't travelled for ten years, and things will have changed, but
certain precautions should be observed. You don't want to be targeted
by some thugs who look for solitary campers. Ten years ago, the
National Park Service warned that camping in the Parks was not safe due
to increases in crime and reductions in staff. It is safer to camp in
the car by taking out the back seat at night rather that sleeping alone
in a tent. Days are getting shorter, nights are getting cooler, and
there is the chance of rain. There is always the strain of finding a
good spot for the night. You pretty well have to line one up by 7pm or
you can't really see well enough. For maximum safety, I would go to KOA
or somesuch. If solitary camping is preferred, once you get to Ohio, or
the midwest, you will find that most small towns have a town campground
which is usually free. These campgrounds are left over from the
Chatauqua days and are relatively safe. There is a book on "free
camping" which gives locations across the US. If you are interested, I
will look it up and send you the title if you wish. It was quite
inexpensive. It is hard to get this information because the "travel
industry" is focused on big bucks. The AAA has some useful camping
books also. I always used to get breakfast and maybe buy something in
the town and it was always interesting to chew the fat with the locals.
If you are stuck, look for a suitable Catholic church. The Catholics
have a tradition of helping travellers, and they often have a driveway
that is out of the way. Avoid camping near big cities, Too much crime.
Surprisingly, the best campsites were always the free ones. Have a good
and safe trip.........73.....

Old September 2nd 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"N9NEO" wrote

Schedule is firm in that I have first two weeks of October off from
work. Exact route is up in the air...

Not a heck of a lot of time for a cross-country road trip.
The drive from TN straight to LA is three+ 8-9 hour driving days.
Assuming clear skies (got chains?) and no break downs.

Nevertheless - Good luck!

Old September 3rd 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wiThanks ve3... Lots of good information. The pitt Bull is off getting
her temperament tested before the vet will release her to me. Wouldn't
that be irony if I got eaten up by the dog that was supposed to protect
me. Heheh. Perhaps a sign on my site that reads
"Beware of Pitt Bull" In english and Spanish as well. I think cost
should be secondary to safety here, so that will be my creed. One day
maybe the W1FE will join me on a cross country tour if I prove it to be
safe.

Thanks again, more later..

Regards,
Bob

ve3... wrote:
N9NEO wrote:
and some other ramblings ...

Schedule is firm in that I have first two weeks of October off from
work. Exact route is up in the air. I was first going to go across
rt90 and maybe stop to see a friend in Wisconsin. Then I decided to
take a more southerly route across the bottom of Pa then hook over to
Indy and on to St Louis. I want to see the arch. Then I thought to
head south on 81 thru pa into Maryland and Virgina and then North
Carolina. Then thru Tennesee. I just can't decide today. I hope to
have that figured out in a week or so.

73
NEO

.................................................. .................................................. ................

Old September 3rd 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

N9NEO wrote:
wiThanks ve3... Lots of good information. The pitt Bull is off getting
her temperament tested before the vet will release her to me. Wouldn't
that be irony if I got eaten up by the dog that was supposed to protect
me. Heheh. ...

.................................................. .................................................. .................
Good idea. My dog was talking to another dog the other day and he
said, "My master is ok,,,he's kind, takes me out for walks, pets me,
and if it comes to that, he's a good source of protein." There are
two basic types of dogs: a jackal who is food-oriented and a wolf who
bonds with an alpha male. I think the pit bull is a jackal-based dog
and responds well to food. One trick used by the gypsies in Europe,
when they want to steal a dog, is to put some meat under their armpit
for a moment and then feed it to the dog. This is supposed to create a
powerful scent association with the person, and the dog will willingly
follow him. You might try that trick for quick bonding, and it won't do
any harm. Unless the dog has been trained to be vicious, she will be
affectionate and a big baby and very loyal. The one trait about pit
bulls is that once they get in a dog fight, they will not quit. Dog
culture calls for standard behaviours in a fight. When a dog
surrenders, he rolls over on his back with his legs in the air exposing
his underbelly. At this point, the winning dog accepts the surrender
and backs off. But not the pit bull. He keeps on fighting, confusing
the hell out of the other dog. You will have to provide proper food for
the dog: you can't get by with just kibble. Raw stewing beef or lean
ground beef works well with the Shepherds: ask the vet. You don't have
much time to train her: she will respond to praise, and some sort of
doggy treat as a reward/reinforcement. Never hit the dog and only scold
for something serious. Positive reinforcement will get the job done.
You will have to get a sturdy leash just in case someone irritates her.
Good luck with her.