Old September 14th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SR SR is offline

Default Operating CW on HT Radios

I was wondering how can one transmit CW on a 6 meters, 2 meters and 440
MHz HT radio?

What kind of CW key is used? Straight or paddle?

Where is it connected on the HT radio?

How do you control things like tone, speed, weight?

HT V/UHF radio seem to not have a CW mode.

Is their a HT model out there for CW?

73, SR!
Old September 14th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SR wrote:
I was wondering how can one transmit CW on a 6 meters, 2 meters and 440
MHz HT radio?

What kind of CW key is used? Straight or paddle?

Where is it connected on the HT radio?

How do you control things like tone, speed, weight?

HT V/UHF radio seem to not have a CW mode.

Is their a HT model out there for CW?

I don't know of any current HTs that will transmit CW. The Kenwood
TH-F6 will *receive* CW but won't transmit it. (I believe Yaesu makes a
similar radio)

Theory would suggest you could send CW with any HT by using the
push-to-talk button as a Morse key. Or, by connecting a code key to the
external microphone jack, to the PTT terminals. However, in my
experience this works VERY poorly if at all. [0] I don't think the
frequency-setting PLL circuit stabilizes fast enough to allow you to do
this. You might be able to do it at VERY slow code speeds, 5wpm or less.

One good option is to use *tone-modulated* CW. Use one of the
touch-tone buttons on the radio as a code key. Unlike shortwave CW, the
RF carrier would be on all the time, but you'd be keying an audio tone
(actually, two audio tones) on and off. *Any* HT with a tone pad could
transmit this way, and *any* normal HT could receive this kind of CW.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

[0] (I managed to complete a CW contact this way on 2 meters once. I
later contacted the same station on 6 meters, where I had a real radio.
Asked him what my signal was like on 2 meters. He said "if a guy
wants the contact badly enough, he can copy it...")

Old September 15th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Doug Smith W9WI wrote in
:

SR wrote:
[...]

I used to use an HT to communicate through RS-10, just keying the FM
transmitter, and receiving the downlink on my HF rig. Not quality CW but
it worked.

If SR has an all mode HF receiver, he can tap the IF in the HT, set the IF
frequency on the HF rig and receive decode CW and SSB from the HT that
way.

SC
Old September 15th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Slow Code wrote:
If SR has an all mode HF receiver, he can tap the IF in the HT, set the IF
frequency on the HF rig and receive decode CW and SSB from the HT that
way.

I've done this, and it works very well.

Except that it's darned difficult to tap the IF of a tiny HT!

Old September 16th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Doug Smith W9WI wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:
If SR has an all mode HF receiver, he can tap the IF in the HT, set the
IF frequency on the HF rig and receive decode CW and SSB from the HT
that way.

I've done this, and it works very well.

Except that it's darned difficult to tap the IF of a tiny HT!

That's true. I don't recommend anyone take apart their best hand-held or
scanner, but if they have old equipment, it's simple way to get all modes
UHF/VHF with just an FM receiver and an all-mode HF receiver.

SC

As Telecom Reels From Storm Damage, Ham Radios Hum Steve Stone Policy 2 September 8th 05 06:18 AM
Got my Kaito today Ryan Shortwave 31 May 3rd 05 04:35 PM
Radios On Sale Jmap702 Swap 0 March 30th 04 03:17 PM
FS MOTOROLA RADIO'S John Swap 0 February 3rd 04 07:53 AM
MOTOROLA RADIOS for Sale! John Swap 0 January 30th 04 03:55 PM