Old September 19th 06, 06:44 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.morse,rec.radio.shortwave
SR SR is offline

Default Help With CW

Hello: Sorry but I accidentally did not save my last
alt.ham-radio.morse post. I have my newsgroup set to delete everything
that I read.

Anyway someone sent me a website (to my post) with a CW program to
download. I need the name of the program & website again please?

I practice using a MFJ MENU DRIVEN MEMORY KEYER (model MFJ-492) with a
HEX Bencher.

I find using paddles a lot easier to use. It seem to be lighter on the
finger and thumb. And holding down makes things easier & more perfect.

The down side is wiring the base and adjusting it. I think it best to
not move the whole key from the table once it is working.

As for the keyer: (MFJ MENU DRIVEN MEMORY KEYER (model MFJ-492)) I am
still learning how to use it. I have not yet used the memory feature.
Mostly I use the SP, WT, HZ and Random code RC feature for now.

I change tones or pitch depending on the time I am practicing. If it is
morning I set it to the higher side, but not to the highest.

If it is late at night usually I keep the tone or pitch and volume low.

If it is noisy out side then I put it very high not louder, but some how
the tone or pitch is easier for me to hear. (At some point I will find a
way to connect head phones ). Changing the tone also depends on my
mood. -I wonder if that is common?

Also, I have a straight MFJ key that once came with a little isolator
box on the top of the key. But I did not like the quality of the tone.
It had an awful cheap week sound. So I rip off the stupit top and got
my self a Palstar Model CW50AC electronic keyer and plug the key to it.
It is so much better of a sound. But I need to find buttons to put on
the side. I have to use a screw driver to set things on the side.

I like the to use the straight key too. I find it to be more natural.
It is the key that most people are familiar with. Less moving parts to
deal with. And more challenging fun.

The downside is, that it wares my index finger down.

The MFJ MENU DRIVEN MEMORY KEYER (model MFJ-492 has a better tone to my
ear then the Palstar Model CW50AC electronic keyer.

However, none of them have a perfect round solid sound even at their
highest pitch and speed. Does anyone know of a better sounding keyer?

As for my progress, I know all of the letter, numbers, period, comma,
interrogation and of course error. I need to memorize prosigns and
whatever else their is.

I could probably send upto 15 wpm. For about 10 minutes. Spelling from
my head can slow me down.

I am much weaker at listening and copying. I need to discipline myself
to pay more attention to the up comming charactor then to keep thinking
about what I think the last charactor was.

Since I am using a random code, it would be better if I could find a
freeware computer program that after copying, I could check myself with
the computer program. Better yet: A program that can play out what
would be like the actual test.

The only book I have is: MORSE CODE, THE ESSENTIAL LANGUAGE, BY L. PETER
CARRON JR.

Is their a more updated and complete book out there?

THX

73, SR
Old September 19th 06, 07:20 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.morse,rec.radio.shortwave

On 2006-09-19, SR wrote:
Hello: Sorry but I accidentally did not save my last
alt.ham-radio.morse post. I have my newsgroup set to delete everything
that I read.

Anyway someone sent me a website (to my post) with a CW program to
download. I need the name of the program & website again please?

Insert the newsgroup and your name. This will bring up every post
you've ever made in that newsgroup. Hit the sort by date option to
get the most recent first.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

As for morse code software, this is my favorite. Lotsa options,
including volume and pitch. Also runs on linux under wine.

http://justlearnmorsecode.com/

nb