Old September 28th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 600M tests

As Dale mentioned the FCC has authorised some ham tests on the 600M
band.
I heard part of what might be the NEED call he heard, but a lot of
local QRM and
the QRN from lightning made listening roguh.
Terrry

"LF fans have something new to listen for in the 505-510 kHz frequency
band. A group radio amateurs at 21 locations have been granted an
experimental licence to operate here by the FCC.

For the last several nights I have been hearing at 506kHz, a CW beacon
with call sign WD2XSH/20 originating with N6LF at Cottage Grove Oregon
around 8 pm PST and later.

From the ARRL Web Site:

NEWINGTON, CT, Sep 15, 2006 -- (As of September 13, 2006) The FCC's
Office of Engineering and Technology has granted a Part 5 experimental
license to the ARRL on behalf of a group of radio amateurs interested
in investigating spectrum in the vicinity of 500 kHz. Experimental
license WD2XSH was issued September 13. The two-year authorization
permits experimentation and research between 505 and 510 kHz (600
meters) using narrowband modes at power levels of up to 20 W effective
radiated power (ERP). ARRL Member Fritz Raab, W1FR, of Vermont, will
serve as experimental project manager for "The 500 KC Experimental
Group for Amateur Radio."

More information can be found at the ARRL website. A list of
participants and a map showing their location can also be found at
www.500kc.com.

Les Layton
Las Vegas, NV"

Old September 28th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
ups.com...
As Dale mentioned the FCC has authorised some ham tests on the 600M
band.
I heard part of what might be the NEED call he heard, but a lot of
local QRM and
the QRN from lightning made listening roguh.
Terrry

Hi Terry,
This is breathing new life into LF. I have heard audibly (and on ARGO, of
course) 2 stations so far. And then the NEED beacon last night- very odd as
it was running in standard NDB mode- i.e. 1000Hz keyed AM CW tone on a
carrier centered at 505 KHz.
W4DEX also copied it ( east of me in Charlotte) and an OH station. I can't
hear it in the daytime so I cannot DF it with the 7' loop.
Appreciate reports from anyone who can copy NEED during the daytime hours.

73,
Dale W4OP