Old October 8th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best MW radio and antenna

I am only about two hundred something miles from Pensacola,florida.That
married Irish woman calls Pensacola,,, Peniscola.
cuhulin

Old October 8th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

SEA GAIN is indeed a very interesting phenomena. A group of MW
DXer's throughout the world have been researching this and
confirmed the very beneficial results obtained when DXing by or
near the sea. A couple of the fella's unearthed research done by
the BBC over forty years ago when they were researching the best
siting of MW transmitters. This was the definitive paper that
confirmed the existence of "sea gain" on the MW band.

I did a sea gain experiment with my Drake SW8 at Veldrif in 2005.
Using a reference station of France Info, Nice on 1557 I travelled
inland from the beach. By the time I got 10km's/6 miles inland the
signal had dropped off minus -23dB!

I can confirm after 40 years of DXing in various sites that DXing
by the sea is spectacularly better than the best inland location.
Most of your top American DXer's head for the coast during the DX
season and get amazing catches not possible inland.

It would seem as though some of the "top American DX'ers" are even
resorting these days to travelling to or near their wanted DX target,
hearing said target, and then actually counting that in their totals.
Some are even resorting to using some of the various "DX-tuners"
throughout the world and "hearing" their target via computer.

A travesty.

Yeah, nether would count as DXing. What are these people thinking?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 8th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Where does the magnet in a speaker get its power from? Why doesn't it
run out?

Thanks
FINOH #29718
Finoh #28437
FiNOH #27447
I love spacefed.

On Oct 7, 4:40 pm, "John Plimmer" wrote:
My DX pal, Gary Deacon has just caught KSL Salt Lake City on 1160 khz using
his ancient (unmodified) rusted and salt encrusted Yaesu FRG-7 and his
ALA1530 which sits hanging unmounted on his cupboard door. Salt Lake City is
9,700 miles from his suburban home in Fishoek, a small coastal resort near
the main city of Cape Town. The catches he gets from home attests to the
remarkable "sea gain" experienced on the MW band when you DX from the beach
(or near it).

He did get a better catch than that at our September equinox DXpedition when
he caught CASH in Tecate Mexico, right next door to San Diego CA. That was
at the Seefontein DX cottage right on the beach of the Atlantic ocean, also
using his Frog but then with a 1,300 foot beverage antenna over the shoulder
to New York.

Motto of the story is that you don't have to have the world's latest whizz
bang radio to get those amazing DX catches, but as Conrad Hilton said, it's
all about position, position position!

More info on Gary's activities at Fishoek and our Seefontein DX site can be
found athttp://www.dxing.info

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, POARDT Roelof mini-whiphttp://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old October 8th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Whatever I say is best is best.Maryknoll,Ireland was ''talkin'' at me on
the A1A.
cuhulin
.................................................. ...
y'all can't talk to them Pipes,standing up!
cuhulin

Old October 8th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Tak O'cup O'Kindbess yet,,,,
Speakin of off shore dudes.Back in the 1970's,there was an off shorer
dude in N'Awlins.He had a MG TF car for sale.We went ridin (I didn't buy
the car) every word he said,he was shoutin at the top of his lungs.
cuhulin
www.devilfinder.com Robokopp Sweetly She Sleeps

Old October 8th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John,

Yes, know what you mean. I've just spent two weeks in Fiji. I took a Sony
ICF-SW55 portable and 20 feet of wire which I put up inside a bungalow. The
little bungalow was about 10 metres from the water's edge.

I've done this before several times. It is incredible what you can hear.
Mainly, because of what you CAN'T hear - namely all the electrical static
and noise pollution of living in a city! It's like an astronomer escaping to
the desert with a telescope - seems like there's many more stars than usual.

On a clear day, you can hear for ever! And sometimes the signals you get are
very weak. But also very audible because there is simply NO noise.

Under conditions like these, a simple portable radio and piece of wire will
out-perform many a city-based high-end receiver setup.

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

Old October 8th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hey!,,, Immitation of Life movie has just now cranked up on tv.Bite Me!
cuhulin

Old October 9th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Plimmer wrote:
[...]

John, may I ask a possibly stupid question? Does it make a difference
as to which direction the signals are coming from in relation to where
you are on the coast? For example, I live on the Gulf Coast side of
Florida, so European signals would have to come over the peninsula of
Florida to reach my antenna. Would being located on the other side of
Florida, say near Miami, be better for European signals, where there
would be nothing but ocean between my antenna and the radio station, or
is it an omnidirectional effect?

Old October 9th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

No matter where you are in Florida,you are less than two hours away from
a beach.Unless you are walking.
cuhulin

Old October 9th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Well said Mark - you fella's have really got to get those radio's down to
the seaside.
The results will exceed all your expectations!