Old October 9th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Best MW radio and antenna

Not a stupid question at all Justice - the results I quoted of doing the
test on France Info from Nice indicates that the sea gain effect is indeed
omnidirectional, as the path of France to the DX test site at Veldrif is
over the African continent.

So if you are trying to get a distant local station inland, you will
experience a great gain on MW by going to the seaside.
Having said that though, obviously the gain over the sea will always be
superior to the land, but an amazing improvement is also possible over land
as well.

At our Jongensgat DXpedition site we have a clear path to the East over the
Indian ocean to Australia and the Far East, so signals from that area are
really good. But we also get amazingly good reception of the U.S. which has
a path of two hundred miles overland and mountains before it reaches the
Atlantic ocean.

The best U.S. catch I ever got was KGA, Spokane from Jongensgat. That is
10,000 miles away and 200 miles of it is over the Southern African
continent.

Have fun and enjoy some DXing from the seaside.
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, POARDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"justice" wrote in message
oups.com...

John, may I ask a possibly stupid question? Does it make a difference
as to which direction the signals are coming from in relation to where
you are on the coast? For example, I live on the Gulf Coast side of
Florida, so European signals would have to come over the peninsula of
Florida to reach my antenna. Would being located on the other side of
Florida, say near Miami, be better for European signals, where there
would be nothing but ocean between my antenna and the radio station, or
is it an omnidirectional effect?

Old October 9th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Frogland used to be part of Limeyland,lonnnng ago.A big Ocean wash wiped
out that piece of territory that used to connect Frogland to
Limeyland.Look at the White Cliffs of Dover.
cuhulin

Old October 9th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My van's Radio is in the dashboard of my van.My van and I were toolin
down the A1A in Florida,by the Atlantic Ocean.
Don't try your Canadian mealy mouth yap crap putting words in my
mouth.YOU WILL LOSE Every Time.
cuhulin

Old October 9th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Maryknoll is in Ireland.I was picking up a Radio Station in
Maryknoll,Ireland.My van and my van's Radio were in Florida.
I own a half acre of land in Interlachen,Florida,Putnam County.Come on
now,Canadian,tell me Interlachen is in Switzerland.Let's see what you
don't know.
cuhulin

Old October 9th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yeah,my van's Radio glomped out of the dashboard and it sprouted wangs
and went to Ireland.
cuhulin

Old October 9th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Heart failuer!!!!! and their little bellys stuck out like a pigs
bladder!!!!!! Grapes of Wrath.
cuhulin