Old October 16th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AR-7030 or NRD-545

Will they most likely continue their long tradition of lousy audio with
the new set?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A and R8B

70' and 200' wires

================================================== =====================================

Ace.

You could be right. with less new radios being produced, it's a
shame. for
the money i paid for the 545, i expected a lot more than i got from it.
it's more
than lousy audio, you just get so much less than what you paid for.

Father Michael...
Old October 16th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Boy this is a tough one. I have owned the 7030 & currently own a 545

Best IP3 goes to the 7030 by a bunch.

Not sure which is best on the sensitivity but both have more than
enough.

I did not like the "tree " menu system on the 7030. I think it would be
something you could get used to however.

I question the reliability of the controls on the 7030.

For digging out DX & splits on the AM broacast bands the 7030 would
be much better. I live in Central part of Kentucky so that kind of
DX...TA & TP is just a dream.

For the pleasure of just setting down to the receiver & using it
nothing will beat a JRC receiver IMHO . So smooth the controls... they
are. And they are Pretty Pretty

I wonder how many of us can really utilize the better IP3 & how often.

I listen to the tropical bands quite often & hope to hear PNG & Indo's
in the early mornings & for that does the better IP3 help??? Those
bands are far from crowded now. Or does the ease of use matter more.

For Utilites SSB or Digital listening I do not think the JRC's can be
beat.

Both are fine receivers but designed for different purposes IMHO

Bottom line......where & what kind of listeing do you plan to use the
receiver for.

Buy the one that YOU like the best.

I would also buy Used.

I would also buy cheaper & more receivers. Heck how can a guy that
monitors the Utes have less than 4 receivers going at the same time.

73, Ken KG4BIG

Gisle Vanem wrote:
I'm in the business of buying a new receiver and have settled on
two options;

The AOR AR-7030Plus or the Japan Radio NRD-545.
Which one would have the highest dynamic range (IP3) and
sensitivity? Is the AR-7030 receiver so clumsy to operate as
many have stated?

--
Gisle V.

# rm /bin/laden
/bin/laden: Not found

Old October 16th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Seeing-I-dawg wrote:

Buy both and sell one.

That's a darn good idea! Then he can get personal hands on experience with both.

Damn the money, full speed ahead!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 16th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Gisle,

I have no experience with the JRC NRD-545 so I cannot comment on it or
compare it with the AOR AR7030 Plus I've owned for two and a half years
now.

In my opinion, the AR7030 Plus, properly fitted out, is definitely one
of the finest performing receivers available, certainly far-and-away
the best I have ever owned.

Some people like its ergonomics and, obviously, some dislike them.
Personally, I had no problem with it at all, the analogy being that if
you can operate a menu-driven VCR or home-theater receiver, then
operating the AR7030 is "a piece of cake." (I'm in my sixties in age.)

There is, however, another option which no one so far has mentioned
here (and it applies to the JRC NRD-545 as well): there is a FREE
computer-control program called "RxWINGS" which allows you to control
the receiver via your computer. You download the program, set it up on
your computer, plug the computer into the AR7030, and off you go.

I rarely use the controls on the radio itself - "RxWINGS" even turns
the receiver on and off, and I never use the remote control any more.
The only facilities of the radio that "RxWINGS" does not control is the
Notch Filter/Noise Blanker. (The remote doesn't control them either.)
Every other function can be computer-controlled and on the screen are
discrete controls (the virtual equivalent of a receiver loaded with
individual knobs and buttons).

"RxWINGS" even allows functions that are not available such as scanning
(just like your $100 portable!), instant muting and un-muting (should
the telephone ring, for example), and quite a few others. It is rather
an amazing program and, as I mentioned, it works with the NRD-545 as
well as the AR7030.

And it costs you nothing!

This is something to carefully consider when choosing your receiver. In
other words, don't let the possibility of your disliking the AR7030's
ergonomics deter you from buying the receiver should you determine it
is the better of your two choices.

I researched communication receivers extensively for many years before
I settled on and bought the AR7030 Plus. I dealt directly with the
factory to customize my receiver to my requirements (after almost fifty
years of SW listening, I know what I want and need!) and the radio was
prepared to my specifications. I dealt with The Shortwave Shop in the
UK, a dealer who was willing to work with me. There are other English
dealers as well who will custom-order an AR7030 for you if you so
desire, but, frankly, buying from Universal with several of the options
they offer should result in a satisfactory receiver. This would also
apply to a JRC NRD-545.

For shortwave listening purposes, I do not see that the $8000 - 10000
receivers will afford the average DXer any advantages over the $1500 -
2500 radios, "bragging rights" excepted. That, of course, is my
opinion.

The AR7030 is able to offer its really superb performance at its
relatively low price (compared to, say, the Ten-tec RX-340) due to the
fact that it DOES use menu-driven controls just like the
above-mentioned VCR, home-theater receiver, your cell-phone, and myriad
other devices which have become so familiar to us these days. All of
these products are priced much lower than one should have expected due
to the fact that relatively costly discrete controls are eliminated. I
think iI is just because the AR7030 is the only truly menu-driven SW
receiver on the market that some users are "negative" about it, never
having seen, owned. or operated such a set previously. But, of course,
everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion.

I like mine and I think you would like it too.

Best,

Joe

P.S. Don't forget the antenna. In order to derive maximum performance
and pleasure, both of these receivers require the finest antenna you
can get.

Old October 17th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Gisle,

I use an "ancient" (purchased in 2000!) Windows 98 laptop - a Toshiba
Satellite 2180CDT - which is really no longer suitable for internet
use. I "wiped" it, reinstalled Windows 98, and use it only for a few
programs, one of which is "RxWings." The computer is next to my sofa
within easy reach and the radio itself is across the rather small room,
about eight feet away. The two are connected by a cable. Both are
plugged into the same APC UPS and I have a C. Crane surge protector
which also reduces EMI ahead of just the radio. (My Wellbrook ALA 330S
is also plugged into that same APC UPS.) I just sit back in my sofa and
control the radio from there.

If you do not own a laptop, and you would prefer to use one with your
radio, you could probably buy a used or refurbished one very cheap -
I've seen them advertised sometimes for less than $150.00. You need
nothing elaborate; I think even an old Windows 95 machine would work.
Just make sure you totally wipe the drive first - with something like
"Darik's Boot and Nuke" - and then reinstall the Windows OS. You'll
have a "clean" computer which will work very well with 'RxWings" or any
other computer-control program you care to try. (By the way, do NOT buy
AOR's "DataMaster" program: it is grossly overpriced and obsolete. Take
my word for it - I DID buy it. Live and learn.)

I have never had any problem with any noise whatsoever caused by the
computer. (The electrical noise caused by neighbors and
transformers/streetlights, etc. on my property - I live in a small
townhouse community - are something else, but the Wellbrook has taken
care of that!) Of course I do not know what might happen were I to
place the computer right next to the radio but, fortunately, I have no
need to do so.

All the best,

Joe

Gisle Vanem wrote:
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

There is, however, another option which no one so far has mentioned
here (and it applies to the JRC NRD-545 as well): there is a FREE
computer-control program called "RxWINGS" which allows you to control
the receiver via your computer.

I'm a bit suspicious to have a noise-source like a table-top PC powered
on while DX-ing. Do you have a LCD-screen or a lap-top?

--gv

Old October 18th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default AR-7030 or NRD-545 or SDR-1000?

Have you considered the SDR-1000?

http://www.flex-radio.com/About.aspx

LSB, USB, AM, FMN, Sync AM, CW, and DRM are supported.

Receive 12KHz-60MHz
(Requires external user supplied pre selector for best operation below 160M)
see:
http://sdr-1000.blogspot.com/2006/09...w1vlf-low.html
http://sdr-1000.blogspot.com/2006/10...osure-for.html

"This radio currently features receiver specs that out perform all three of
the top "mega-priced" radios by Ten-Tec, Icom, and Yaseu."

"3rd and 4th order harmonics are so much better than any other radio
currently on the market."

"+30 dBm IP3"
"98 dB IMD DR3 @ 2 KHz"
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4108

Full Manufacturer Specifications He
http://www.flex-radio.com/Products.aspx?topic=sdr1k
__________________________________________________ __

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

In my opinion, the AR7030 Plus, properly fitted out, is definitely one
of the finest performing receivers available, certainly far-and-away
the best I have ever owned.

Thanks Joe and all you other for your replies. I kinda settled on the AOR
(mostly for the lower price). Your replies have confirmed that this would
be the wiser.

There is, however, another option which no one so far has mentioned
here (and it applies to the JRC NRD-545 as well): there is a FREE
computer-control program called "RxWINGS" which allows you to control
the receiver via your computer.

I'm a bit suspicious to have a noise-source like a table-top PC powered
on while DX-ing. Do you have a LCD-screen or a lap-top?

P.S. Don't forget the antenna. In order to derive maximum performance
and pleasure, both of these receivers require the finest antenna you
can get.

I already have a (IMHO) top-notch antenna; the ARA-60 by Dressler. Since
I don't have the space to erect a long-wire etc., this active antenna is

the
substitute. Very sensitive on MW.

--gv