Old December 11th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default need to replace YB400?

Not all of us can afford $300 - $500 for a new radio. Not everyone
can afford a brand new Cadillac or Maserati.
If you have more money then you know what to do with, that's fine.
Good for you. Have fun. But for the rest of us that have to slog three
shifts, and support a family and pay almost fifty percent of our income
to taxes, you really can't beat the Degen DE11/ Kaito KA 11 in it's
price range. Nothing wrong with a good Ford or GMC vehicle if you can't
afford an expensive exotic luxury vehicle. Among the cheaper radios,
the DE11/KA11 really stands out as a higher quality, better performing
radio. Sure, it will never have a chance of equaling your Sonys. Your
Sonys will outperform the DE11/KA. No question about that. But the
DE11/KA11 beats pretty well everything else in its price bracket.
The fact is the Degen DE11/Kaito KA11 delivers a lot more
performance then its price would suggest. Compared to many other cheap
radios (like the SN400, the Kaiwa KA-818, Eton Mini 300PE, Grundig
G110A, Sangean PT-50, etc. etc.), it is a good performer. It is also
built much better then its price would suggest. It's an excellent
bargain for those of us in in the bit lower income level that can't see
spending our hard earned money on a radio that's up in the exotic class
like the Sony SW100 & SW07. I could buy one of those Sonys, but then
maybe my kids would have to do without decent skates for playing hockey
in their leagues. So, instead, they get good skates, I go with nice
Kaito or Degen radios instead of the higher performance Sonys. I love
Sony, and if I could afford one, I would get one. I do own an older
Sony ICF 2002 ( ICF-7600D), and it a good radio, works like the day I
bought it back in '84. But I am more then pleased with my decision.
The kids are happy with their skates. I am happy with my radios.
For those of us that simply can't afford a radio like a SonySW100 or
SW07, there are several Kaito/Degen radios in the $50.00 - $100 range
that are well built and perform admirably.

Regards, Cato

Proud Neo-con American Right-wing Zionist/Christian Imperialist wrote:
"Cato" wrote
Greetings: I am not sure exactly what you expect from a radio that
is just a bit bigger then a deck of cards. No one should expect the
performance of a average size portable or tabletop rig. I own several
radios, my Panasonic RF-2200, and a Sony ICF-2002, Eton E5, and others.

Can my Degen DE11 compete with them?? Not a chance. They outperform the
DE11/KA11 by miles. But read on. The DE11/KA11 is not intended to equal
their performance. I don't expect it to do so. I purchased a Degen DE11
on eBay, and I am very pleased with its performance and build. Is it
perfect? Not a chance. But I have yet to hear of a perfect radio. Does
it leave anything to be desired? Of course. I would love for it to have
syncronous detection, mutiple bandwidths, double conversion etc. But
HEY! Look at the size of this thing, and tell me you really expect that
in something this tiny.

Yes, I do! With my Sony SW100 and SW07.
You get what you pay for. A DE11? BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Old December 12th 06, 09:52 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

News RNC,

The Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE was an 'ok' Radio for it's time.
- - - But it's time has gone.
However it is still being sold under the "Grundig" Brand Name
using the "G4000A" Model Number.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...i ng=d&hl=en&

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is the preferred 'portable' AM/FM
Shortwave Radio by many Shortwave Listeners (SWLs) due
to it's many features especially the AM Synchronous Detector
(AM-SYNC) for both AM/MW and SW Band use.
- - - Priced about US$175.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f-sw7600gr+rhf

The older Grundig Yacht Boy 500 is an 'ok' Radio for mono FM
Broadcast receiption provided that you use an AC Adapter.
- - - The YB 500 likes to eat Batteries and is only a poor-fair
AM/MW and Shortwave Radio.
- - - The YB 500 is more of a 'collector's' Radio being one
of the Last-Real-European-Made "Grundig" Radios.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...ht+boy+500+rhf

You may wish to consider the new Redsun RP-2100 'portable'
AM/FM Shortwave Radio reasonable features and sound for
under US$100 - - - Sorry no AM-SYNC.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...un+rp-2100+rhf

IMHO - The Redsun RP-2100 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio is
big enough to make for a fairly nice sounding Bedside {Late-Night}
Radio for :
* AM/MW Radio Listening
* FM Classical Music 'rest-and-relaxation' Listening
* With an External Low Noise Inverted "L" Antenna
a reasonably good Shortwave International Broadcast
"Program" Listening 'portable' Radio.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...tenna+doty+rhf

OBTW - Listening to Radio Australia (ABC) at 9.590 MHz
just using the built-in Whip Antenna within 3-ft of a PC on
a Redsun RP2100 this very minute.

well that my two cents worth - iane ~ RHF
Old December 14th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default people in the know refer to Gegen as innovative, producing BETTER radios than Sony

"Cato" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Do you actually have one of these?

The whole problem is that people in the know have started to refer to Gegen
as an innovative company which produces BETTER radios than Sony, especially
after a bit of development. A company which goes against the grain of
development of Chinese companies which tend to produce amazing technological
achievements in prototype form to show to their corporate customers which
then become tinny bits of junk with all corners cut to save money when put
into production (see made-in-China versions of Sony VCRs which Sony tells
you to they will swap out or you can throw away if they ever go wrong)

I however have this radio and have noticed an alarming tendency towards 'the
Phillips effect', - putting features, knobs, mechanisms on it which don't
actually do anything.

It says it is dual conversion on Kaito's radios page but then on its own
page doesn't make any such claim. Which being the case it should have some
pretty advanced circuitry to compensate for this but it doesn't make any
such claim. It only sports those 'Phillips' features.

Mine doesn't actually pick up any stations and when I bought it for this
amazing auto-memorising of 1000 short wave stations [obviously UP TO 1000]
and asked why this feature didn't actually seem to work (it DOES tune in
some stations of pure interference), was told that this feature is only
really designed to tune in 1000 FM stations (cf. 'The Phillips Effect')
where on FM the stations are stronger; and that on SW, the stations have to
be tuned in manually. Indicating that it doesn't actually have any advanced
circuitry at all to support this feature!

Even worse, all the commentators seem to regard it as a toy and haven't ever
done any reviews, - or even comparative reviews, - on it?

Meanwhile it IS an adorable little thing in much the same way as the
Austrian-built AE3905 was and while I found that to be the worst SW radio
ever designed (it's batteries weren't even powerful enough to power its own
speaker!), I am left wondering whether I am doing something wrong with this
DE11 or whether in reality I just have an early version and Degen has still
to design those features into it. Or get them working properly?

BTW RHF, What WERE all those references to google searches dating back to
the year gimel on radios supposedly surpassed by time in 2006?

Old December 14th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The whole problem is that people in the know have started to refer to Gegen
as an innovative company which produces BETTER radios than Sony, especially
after a bit of development.

Which people in the know started referring Gegen as producing better
radios than Sony.

What's a Gegen.

A company which goes against the grain of
development of Chinese companies which tend to produce amazing technological
achievements in prototype form to show to their corporate customers which
then become tinny bits of junk with all corners cut to save money when put
into production (see made-in-China versions of Sony VCRs which Sony tells
you to they will swap out or you can throw away if they ever go wrong)

I however have this radio and have noticed an alarming tendency towards 'the
Phillips effect', - putting features, knobs, mechanisms on it which don't
actually do anything.

Really. Which specific knobs don't do anyhting on this radio.

It says it is dual conversion on Kaito's radios page but then on its own
page doesn't make any such claim. Which being the case it should have some
pretty advanced circuitry to compensate for this but it doesn't make any
such claim.

What would it be compensating for by having dual conversion circuitry.

only sports those 'Phillips' features.

Which features.

Mine doesn't actually pick up any stations and when I bought it for this
amazing auto-memorising of 1000 short wave stations

It doesn't pick up ANY radio stations? I find that hard to believe
unless you forgot to put the batteries in.

Old December 15th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My radios are, Panasonic RF-2200, Sony ICF-7600D (ICF-2002), I've had
those first two radios for years, and they are still excellent
performers. I also own, Eton E5, Eton E100, Kaito KA1102, Kaito KA1101,
Kaito KA105, Grundig Mini-300PE and they are all fun to use.
A month and a half ago I purchased a Degen DE11 from a seller on
eBay along with a Degen DE31 active loop antenna. The Degen DE11 cost
me about $67 bucks with delivery. Some people say that "You get what
you pay for", and I agree. But sometime you can get quite a bit for
your money, and that, for me, was the case here. This little radio is
not double conversion. It is only single conversion. But in my opinion
a very good single conversion for its size and price. Kaito U.S.A.
sells it as the Kaito KA11 and they are identical except for the name.
I ordered and received a second Degen DE11. For me they are
perfect for hiking camping and canoeing trips into the wilderness. It
is a better radio then the Kaito KA105/Degen DE105. Better then any
other radio its size or smaller except for the expensive Sony
SW100/SW107 radios, as far as I know. I know that Sony radios are
excellent radios. My Sony ICF-7600D still works as good as it did the
day I bought it, and I really enjoy it. My old Panasonic RF-2200 is a
great radio that has excellent sensitivity, and I can listen to it far
into the night. They still sell for $200 - $300 today, used, in good
condition, thirty years or more after production ended. But I
purchased them back in the time when I could afford something that
expensive. They were a costly radio for the size at the time when they
came out. But it was worth the money for me. They are good radios. But
you don't have to spend that kind of money, or buy a top of the line
brand name to have fun with shortwave. There are some good quality
radios out there that are fairly inexpensive. Yes, there are also junk
radios that a waste of money, and you have to be careful to avoid. Read
the reviews in Passort to Worldband Radio, and you will get a good idea
of what to look for, and what to avoid.
Went out and bought LowePro camera cases for the DE11's that fit
them nice and snug, give them great protection and have room in a
little pouch on the case for a spare set of batteries and the little
extension plug-in antenna that comes with the radio. A great little
radio for an emergency preparedness get-away kit. Included in our
family's kit are 2500 mAh re-chargable batteres and a fold up solar
cell charger. My larger radios would just take up too much room, and
weigh more as well. They would have to stay behind, although I would be
tempted to try ands grab the KA1102. Size and weight are important
issues for some types of travel.
Anyone who says that this little radio, the DE11/KA11, is a peace
of crap obviously doesn't know what they are talking about, or they
have a hatred of anything that comes out of Communist China. (I hate
all forms of totalitariansim, but they are making some good radios at
good prices. God, I wish we could do that here in the western nations.
Yes, we can make some excellent radios, but at prices out of the range
of a lot of people struggling to raise families and pay taxes.) I am
not saying that it's the best radio, it's not, but it is a good radio,
maybe very good for my intended usage. Maybe some people just feel that
if you can't afford to spend $300 - $500 or more, then don't bother
buying a shortwave receive. Well, that statement is crap as far as I am
concerned. You can have a lot of fun, and listen to some interesting
shortwave broadcasts without having to spend money that you can't
afford to spend. I have owned shortwave receivers for forty years, and
believe that I have a good feel for what is a good radio.
I can't inderstand why someone would not be able to receive
anything with the DE11. Perhaps a bad unit got out of the factory. I
would go back to the store and try another one. Or check the batterys
and the Local/DX switch. My DE11 picks up all kinds of stations just
off the whip. Adding a length of wire, either plugged into the jack,
or clipped to the whip gives it a boost of course.
This is the last I have to say in this debate.

Have fun. Cato

Old December 15th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote:

"Cato" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Keep on dreaming your dreamy dreams.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 15th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
ups.com...

The whole problem is that people in the know have started to refer to
Gegen
as an innovative company which produces BETTER radios than Sony,
especially
after a bit of development.

Which people in the know started referring Gegen as producing better
radios than Sony.

What's a Gegen.

Degen is the company which seems to go under a variety of names. It
produces for Grundig amongst others: See
http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitoka1101.htm (Kaito being another of
their names)

Another reviewer said: " By no means will this be the final word on this
impressive little radio. The DE1102 will no doubt be talked about and
debated when it makes its way to the global Shortwave listening community.
Some will like the DE1102's page system while others may find it confusing
or irritating. But as with all radios, it's how well the radio receives
radio signals in the end determines mostly if it is a "good radio". The
DE1102 is a good radio." in http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1102.htm

A company which goes against the grain of
development of Chinese companies which tend to produce amazing
technological
achievements in prototype form to show to their corporate customers which
then become tinny bits of junk with all corners cut to save money when
put
into production (see made-in-China versions of Sony VCRs which Sony tells
you to they will swap out or you can throw away if they ever go wrong)

I however have this radio and have noticed an alarming tendency towards
'the
Phillips effect', - putting features, knobs, mechanisms on it which
don't
actually do anything.

Really. Which specific knobs don't do anyhting on this radio.

What it calls the ATS feature. Also possibly the scan feature? Have you
tried it?

It says it is dual conversion on Kaito's radios page but then on its own
page doesn't make any such claim. Which being the case it should have
some
pretty advanced circuitry to compensate for this but it doesn't make any
such claim.

What would it be compensating for by having dual conversion circuitry.

You will have to look that one up for precise details on pages too numerous
to mention

only sports those 'Phillips' features.

Which features.

The scan feature?

Mine doesn't actually pick up any stations and when I bought it for this
amazing auto-memorising of 1000 short wave stations

It doesn't pick up ANY radio stations? I find that hard to believe
unless you forgot to put the batteries in.

(See later in my message for the meaning of this)

I am glad to hear that someone doesn't regard this piece as a toy and look
forward to your informed review of it? It could well be that I am doing
something wrong and I did indicate that Degen doesn't normally do this type
of thing.

Old December 15th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Cato" wrote in message
oups.com...
My radios are, Panasonic RF-2200, Sony ICF-7600D (ICF-2002), I've had
those first two radios for years, and they are still excellent
performers. I also own, Eton E5, Eton E100, Kaito KA1102, Kaito KA1101,
Kaito KA105, Grundig Mini-300PE and they are all fun to use.
A month and a half ago I purchased a Degen DE11 from a seller on
eBay along with a Degen DE31 active loop antenna. The Degen DE11 cost
me about $67 bucks with delivery. Some people say that "You get what
you pay for", and I agree. But sometime you can get quite a bit for
your money, and that, for me, was the case here. This little radio is
not double conversion. It is only single conversion. But in my opinion
a very good single conversion for its size and price. Kaito U.S.A.
sells it as the Kaito KA11 and they are identical except for the name.

That is all I wanted to hear: That settles it.

I am doing something wrong or there may be a defect in this radio which may
or may not clear itself over time. When I received it, the radio emitted a
distressing whine which over powered all signals on all bands. That went
away over time while I thought I was testing it. Obviously I will have to
await the Degen external antenna before passing my own judgment.

[...]

I was partcularly impressed by its self-recharge feature!

[...]

That could well be "it"

Old December 15th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message

The whole problem is that people in the know have started to refer to
Gegen as an innovative company which produces BETTER radios than
Sony, especially after a bit of development. A company which goes
against the grain of development of Chinese companies which tend to
produce amazing technological achievements in prototype form to show
to their corporate customers which then become tinny bits of junk
with all corners cut to save money when put into production (see
made-in-China versions of Sony VCRs which Sony tells you to they will
swap out or you can throw away if they ever go wrong)

Keep on dreaming your dreamy dreams.

It is not clear whether you know what you are talking about with this
comment: My statement came from an American who spends most of his time
living in China where he has to deal with this attitude on what I mentioned
were OTHER Chinese companies.

Or is your point that you don't agree that Degen aren't one of these
companies and DO produce junk? Not sure anyone around here agrees with you
on this controversial point?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old December 15th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I noticed a distressing whineing noise from Kaito KA105, when the
whip antenna was retracted into the radio, and the radio set on
shortwave. This disappears as soon as the antenna is extended. On
opening the radio up, I noticed some sort of metal shielding in the
radio that would cover the antenna when the antenna is retracted into
the radio.
This would only happen on shortwave with the antenna retracted. I am
not sure if this is the same thing that is happening to you. Try
extending your whip and see if the sound disappears.
Hope that helps. - Cato

Grundig YB400 Wanted Rog Shortwave 0 January 3rd 06 12:33 PM
Comparison needed: PL200/230 vs YB400 /* frank */ Shortwave 0 August 8th 04 10:29 AM
For sale, YB400 and Palstar-AA30. ken chattenton Shortwave 0 July 12th 04 09:34 AM
Need to replace a 40 year old television antenna wall jack - help! Dan General 5 May 15th 04 01:04 PM
YB400 PE Hum Bob Shortwave 0 July 25th 03 11:58 AM