Old October 31st 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default GE Superadio III vs. Grundig S350

Forget the Analog Tunning and cost on the SR III or the LCD display and
short wave on the Grundig, Simply put, Which of these radios performs
better on AM? Hopefully someone here has had both of these radios to
compare. Thanks.
Old October 31st 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Du_Hicky wrote:
Forget the Analog Tunning and cost on the SR III or the LCD display and
short wave on the Grundig, Simply put, Which of these radios performs
better on AM? Hopefully someone here has had both of these radios to
compare. Thanks.

Both radios have serious quality-control problems - they both are very
cheap construction, and from experience, the S350 is just total junk.
The S350 is analog tuned and still drifts despite a kludged lock
mechanism, cheap switches, plastic speaker grill, smelly imitation
leather handle, low-resolution display, and is no better a DX'er than
my better-quality Radio Shack $25 PLL AM/FM radio. All this talk about
"DX machines" is just hype. I'll never buy an analog-tuned radio again !

Old November 1st 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

It's no contest.Analog tuning is always best.
cuhulin

Old November 1st 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Du_Hicky wrote:
Forget the Analog Tunning and cost on the SR III or the LCD display and
short wave on the Grundig, Simply put, Which of these radios performs
better on AM? Hopefully someone here has had both of these radios to
compare. Thanks.

I would strongly suggest you check out the reviews for these radios on
eham.net and Amazon.com - the SRIII's switches fall off and the S350
has severe tuning backlash. I opened up the back of the S350, before
returning it to RS (it was not sealed) and I could not believe that
this mostly-hollow piece-of-**** was made by Grundig - but now,
Grundigs are made in China, not Germany. Consumer beware !

Old November 1st 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Du_Hicky wrote:
Forget the Analog Tunning and cost on the SR III or the LCD display and
short wave on the Grundig, Simply put, Which of these radios performs
better on AM? Hopefully someone here has had both of these radios to
compare. Thanks.

Forgot to mention, that the S350's switches have tape on the shafts to
hold them tightly !

Old November 1st 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

) writes:
Du_Hicky wrote:
Forget the Analog Tunning and cost on the SR III or the LCD display and
short wave on the Grundig, Simply put, Which of these radios performs
better on AM? Hopefully someone here has had both of these radios to
compare. Thanks.

I would strongly suggest you check out the reviews for these radios on
eham.net and Amazon.com - the SRIII's switches fall off and the S350
has severe tuning backlash. I opened up the back of the S350, before
returning it to RS (it was not sealed) and I could not believe that
this mostly-hollow piece-of-**** was made by Grundig - but now,
Grundigs are made in China, not Germany. Consumer beware !

But they aren't made by Grundig.

"Grundig" is now a name rented out to companies that want to use
it. So those "Grundig" radios sold in North America are put out
by some other company, who pay for the rights to use the name.

Where the radios are made is fairly irrelevant, where it's designed
is far more important.

Michael

Old November 1st 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Du_Hicky wrote:
Forget the Analog Tunning and cost on the SR III or the LCD display and
short wave on the Grundig, Simply put, Which of these radios performs
better on AM? Hopefully someone here has had both of these radios to
compare. Thanks.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""""""""""""""
I have had both of these radios and kept the S350 for its portability
and gave the GEIII away because for some unknown reason I didn't like
it. I also have a GE II which I do like. If I could only have one for
AM listening, I would choose a GE II. If my choice was between a GEIII
and the drifty 350 I would pick the 350. They both seemed to have the
same sensitivity on AM, more or less, but the sound quality is better
with the GE. The GE is rather a pain to cart around, being big and
heavy, and I find the 350 quite convenient in that respect. The battery
drain on the GE is very low but it plugs in to the AC. Actually, I took
no pleasure in the GEIII but I have found the 350 to be trouble-free
and handy, but I still use the GEII quite often. If you can find a good
GEII on ebay or some such, that is the one I would pick. Actually, I
hated the GEIII : it had a sort of clockwork orange quality about it
that drove me nuts.

Old November 1st 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Get an old tube type home or car radio and you will be much better off.
cuhulin

Old November 1st 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

It's no contest.Analog tuning is always best.
cuhulin

I believe the SRIII has varactor tuning.
--
Ron Hardin

Old November 1st 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ron Hardin wrote:

wrote:

It's no contest.Analog tuning is always best.
cuhulin

I believe the SRIII has varactor tuning.

Yet, it has an analog dial.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Drake R7, R8, R8A, R8B, SR II and SR III