Old March 31st 05, 06:02 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Default AM/MW DXing with the GE Superadio III or the Grundig S350 / Tec...

Dear Jim,

I sorry I offended you with my "strong" recommendations for the Sony
rado. I can understand your reasoning (even though I personally don't
agree with it). I can also understand your preference for analog-tuned
radios (though again I disagree). That said, here are my answers to two
of your questions.

1) I do not believe there are ANY online electronics dealers who will
accept COD orders. You might call and ask Universal Radio, C. Crane,
Grove Enterprises, AES, Bennett Brothers, and J&R Music World if they
will accept a COD order. You can look up their telephone numbers
online. Note that I do not know if they all sell the radio(s) in which
you are interested. I also believe that, if you do find a dealer who
will sell on a COD basis, you will pay more and that's not even
counting the COD fees. If you can't or won't use a credit card or
check, use a money order and make sure you are dealing with a reputable
dealer. That will afford minimal risk. (It may also be wise to send the
money order by registered mail, return-receipt requested.) Bennett
Brothers always sold the GE Superadios at low prices. All of the above
dealers are reputable and will allow exchanges for defective
merchandise. By the way, have you tried a local dealer? While a local
electronics or appliance dealer may not stock either of your two
preferred radios, they may be able to order one for you through their
buying group. Even a local hardware store might be able to obtain one.
I think it's worth a try.

2) You're right - often you may receive two, three (or even more - that
happened to me!) defective GE's. How can you tell? Only by trying your
unit next to a known good one or other known good radio which you
believe may have similar performance. There is no other way unless you
have some test equipment. I persevered with the units because I had
read reviews which claimed that the radio was, in effect, the best
thing since white bread. My first unit, Version I, was a very good
performer on local FM; it had no AM antenna terminals (later the first
version was revised to include those terminals) and no strap to hold in
the batteries (which would fall out sometimes with no excuse at all!).
I bought the Version II having read that it was greatly improved over
the first version. Well, due to the two speakers, yes, the sound was
better, but AM performance (even with a wire attached to the
now-included antenna terminals) was not as good. Now there was a strap
to hold in the batteries. Version III (my FOURTH sample) is even worse
on AM and no better on FM. As far as I can tell, it is functioning
correctly - it receives exactly the same AM and FM stations with the
same apparent strength as my other Superadios. (Local FM stations come
in well and sound very good, but my Sony - sorry - radio "blows it
away" when listening to FM stations somewhat farther away. The Sony
"hears" FM stations that just do not "exist" on the Superadio(s).). My
Version III was purchased in the early-to-mid 90's (I'm not sure); it's
my "last" GE Superadio no matter what is "claimed" for any future
version. (By the way, I also own a CC Radio; the less said about that
the better! Believe me, I've learned from painful and expensive
experience!)

Except for my Version II GE (which I keep in a room for casual FM
listening) the others are "buried" somewhere in my crawl space; the
last time I looked for them I couldn't find them!

Caveat emptor!

Best,

Joe

P.S. I agree with you about Ebay though I've read the Liypn's Ebay
Store is a reputable place to purchase the Grundig S350. However, I
won't deal with ANY Ebay seller. I just don't want to take a chance,
attractive prices notwithstanding. At least with a reputable merchant
who has a physical address (even Amazon has one) you have some
recourse.

had a few other questions I forgot to ask in my last post:

1) Are there any online or mail order places that will accept C.O.D.?
That's a big deal with me. I'm avoiding eBay at all costs. Don't ask

me
why, but I'll put it like this, I've seen too many people burned by
eBay.

2) I've heard that it sometimes takes 2 to 3 replacements before
getting a good Superadio III. How will I know that it's defective

aside
from it not turning on when you press the Power button? Also, which
dealers online or mail order have a liberal return policy?

3)By any chance, does anyone have a SR III they'd be willing to part
with?

Thanks for taking the time and putting up with my questions. :-)

Jim

Old March 31st 05, 06:35 PM

Any radios made in China are JUNK.And,Stay away from them Sangean,made
in Taiwan radios too.Chinese radios have very poor quality control.Some
of the parts they use are just as likely to short out and catch your
house on fire as not.old Rule of Thumb is,,, You Get What You Pay For.
cuhulin

Old March 31st 05, 07:02 PM
John Plimmer

I have a Sangean 803A and a 818
Both have given me outstanding performance over very many years.

re the Grundig S350, see
http://kiwa.com/GrundigS350.html
for upgrade mods.
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old April 18th 05, 04:42 AM
m II

John Plimmer wrote:

I have a Sangean 803A and a 818
Both have given me outstanding performance over very many years.

As have my 909 and dx-398. Wonderful sets. 'hulin doesn't appreciate a radio
unless it's on the three dollar disposal table at the local thrift store.

mike

Old April 18th 05, 05:47 AM

Grundig AM/FM/Shortwave/Phonograph wooden cabinet floor model radio,it
dates back to around 1957 or 1958.Telefunken AM/FM/Shortwave wooden
cabinet table model big radio,it dates back to either the 1950's or
1960's,Zenith Royal 1000 Transoceanic radio and I own many,many (over
200 radios,I own) other collectible radios and some of them are very!
collectible.Most of them I bought at thrift stores such as Goodwill and
Salvation Army and Rescue League and yard sales and fleamarkets and junk
shops.m II,YOU don't know what the ****! YOU are talking about! YOU
DUMBASS!!!! A few weeks ago at the Goodwill thrift store,I bought a ADi
Transceiver radio for only $2.00 (TWO DOLLARS) and it is just like brand
new.YOU ****ING IDIOT!
cuhulin