RadioBanter

-   -   STIX HIX NIX IBOC (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/108421-stix-hix-nix-iboc.html)

ve3... November 2nd 06 01:04 AM

STIX HIX NIX IBOC

wrote:
You are in Canada and you don't know what time zone you are in?
True,sometimes in the mawnings,I may not know what the date is,but I
always know what time zone I am in.
cuhulin

"''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''
Of course I know what time zone I'm in. It's the readers who didn't
know what time zone I'm in. Some are sufficiently informed that they
know that Ontario spans both the Eastern and Central time zones. Since
most of the Ontario people live in the Eastern time zone the matter
rarely comes up but they are quite correct to enquire. The further
north you go, the shorter the days and the earlier the sunset.
Incidentally, I was driving around at 6:00 pm tonight and there was
not a trace of IBOC hash. Sunday night was the first and only time I
have ever heard it I noticed a full moon, we just finished
Halloween, and all the witches have been casting spells like crazy.
Could it be that IBOC is a creation of Satan? Just asking.

[email protected] November 2nd 06 04:02 AM

STIX HIX NIX IBOC

Some people go crazy (Well,they are crazy anyway) in America on
Halloween.Hallowen articles at www.drudgereport.com
I have to watch Trees Company Too on Telebision now.
cuhulin

dxAce November 2nd 06 11:28 AM

STIX HIX NIX IBOC

"ve3..." wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The full moon doesn't occur until the 5th.

Could it be that IBOC is a creation of Satan?

Well, then it and CanaDuh would share something in common.

Just asking.

Thanks for asking.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

MaMaDoG November 2nd 06 03:48 PM

STIX HIX NIX IBOC

I know WHA on 970 KHz runs IBOC up to an hour after sunset and starts up
about an hour before sunrise.

I had read somewhere that this is authorized for stations under certain
circumstances which I do not recall.

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
dxAce wrote:
I wasn't aware that anyone was running IBOC overnight.

I was going to say "well, he was listening at 5:30am - and if he was
west of Thunder Bay then he'd have been on Central Time". The numbers
still don't work out for most stations:

Station October "FCC sunrise"
WABC 0500 CST
WCCO 0630 CST
WLW 0645 CST
WHAM 0530 CST
KFAB 0630 CST

(that WLW figure doesn't make sense, I think I made a typo somewhere.
Probably 0545 or 0600.)

So it would have been "daytime" at WABC & WHAM but not at any of the
other stations. I am making the rash assumption the unnamed station on
1110 was KFAB -- maybe it was WBT? (which probably would have indeed
been in "daytime")

We do occasionally observe major stations running IBOC at night. It
must be some kind of FCC-sanctioned test as it happens far too often to
be explained as technical errors at some of the country's
best-engineered stations. Usually that doesn't happen at this many
stations at the same time though.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

[email protected] November 2nd 06 06:13 PM

STIX HIX NIX IBOC

Halloween,,,,,, Halloween,,,, Fun,Fun,Fun,,,,, Pull down your britches
and Run,Run,Run,,,,,
cuhulin

Frank Dresser November 2nd 06 07:04 PM

STIX HIX NIX IBOC

"Mark Zenier" wrote in message

From the theory stuff I read off the web, the worst IBOC interference
should be on the station 20 kHz away, as the sideband(s) for the primary
digital channel are on 15-25 kHz (on both sides) from the carrier.
Unless the IBOC station had reduced their analog bandwidth and were
using the second channel (which runs from 5-15 kHz, both sides).

Mark Zenier

As far as I know, all the IBOC stations have a maximum audio bandwidth of 5
kHz. 8 kHz AM audio bandwidth is supposed to be an option, but that
degrades the IBOC performance.

Frank Dresser

m II November 3rd 06 02:50 AM

STIX HIX NIX IBOC

Brenda Ann wrote:

"ve3..." wrote in message
ups.com...
I noticed a full moon, we just finished
Halloween, and all the witches have been casting spells like crazy.
Could it be that IBOC is a creation of Satan? Just asking.

Either a creation of Lucifer himself or one of his higher placed minions.

Very good. That wasn't a guess, was it?

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/spe.../mi7182002.htm

mike

Telamon November 3rd 06 04:26 AM

STIX HIX NIX IBOC

In article ,
"Frank Dresser" wrote:

"Mark Zenier" wrote in message

From the theory stuff I read off the web, the worst IBOC interference
should be on the station 20 kHz away, as the sideband(s) for the primary
digital channel are on 15-25 kHz (on both sides) from the carrier.
Unless the IBOC station had reduced their analog bandwidth and were
using the second channel (which runs from 5-15 kHz, both sides).

Mark Zenier

As far as I know, all the IBOC stations have a maximum audio bandwidth of 5
kHz. 8 kHz AM audio bandwidth is supposed to be an option, but that
degrades the IBOC performance.

All I know is trying to listen to weak station the next channel over
(10KHz) either way is impossible.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

[email protected] November 3rd 06 05:59 AM

STIX HIX NIX IBOC

But what are you hearing on that weak station? Certainly nothing that I
do not know already.I gave up dxining years ago.I only dx them crazy
wimmins all over (via the enternets) the World nowdays.I am doin better
than you are.
cuhulin

ve3... November 3rd 06 03:57 PM

STIX HIX NIX IBOC

wrote:
But what are you hearing on that weak station? Certainly nothing that I
do not know already.I gave up dxining years ago.
.
cuhulin

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""
You don't understand. When you are driving around in the boonies in the
North there are no local stations to listen to. You can drive miles and
never see another car. There are more moose than people. At night all
the channels are filled with US stations with strong signals from the
clear channels. To add insult to injury, the few Canadian stations that
can be heard are covered up by the skip and if IBOC spreads the
sidebands will block them as well:. In the daytime, short wave
provides good signals. Just imagine tuning from 530khz to 1700 khz and
hearing nothing but hiss. This is the price you willingly pay to live
far away from cities. I think many city-dwellers would like to live in
the country if they could figure out a way to do it.