Old November 2nd 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lou Lou is offline

Default Candle shortwave radio

I have a radio that my mother gave to my father as a gift in the late
1970's (or there abouts, she thinks). It's a Candle made by the Tokyo
Transistor Industry Co., LTD., model TK-2653.

I did an online search and found very little information on it and wonder
if anyone in this group could provide some additional info, such as
history, quality, worth, etc.

I have a Grundig S350 DL I use for general listening, and comparatively
speaking, the Candle doesn't do too bad in pulling in stations, although
the sound is not as good as the Grundig.

Any info is appreciated.
Old November 3rd 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , Lou wrote:
I have a radio that my mother gave to my father as a gift in the late
1970's (or there abouts, she thinks). It's a Candle made by the Tokyo
Transistor Industry Co., LTD., model TK-2653.

I did an online search and found very little information on it and wonder
if anyone in this group could provide some additional info, such as
history, quality, worth, etc.

I have a Grundig S350 DL I use for general listening, and comparatively
speaking, the Candle doesn't do too bad in pulling in stations, although
the sound is not as good as the Grundig.

Any info is appreciated.

------------
www.universal-radio.com used to publish a book
of older shortwave radios and their specs.
Your local library may have a copy.
Old November 4th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Lou Lou is offline

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 21:35:57 GMT, Dan Say wrote:

In article , Lou wrote:
I have a radio that my mother gave to my father as a gift in the late
1970's (or there abouts, she thinks). It's a Candle made by the Tokyo
Transistor Industry Co., LTD., model TK-2653.

I did an online search and found very little information on it and wonder
if anyone in this group could provide some additional info, such as
history, quality, worth, etc.

I have a Grundig S350 DL I use for general listening, and comparatively
speaking, the Candle doesn't do too bad in pulling in stations, although
the sound is not as good as the Grundig.

Any info is appreciated.

------------
www.universal-radio.com used to publish a book
of older shortwave radios and their specs.
Your local library may have a copy.

Thanks Dan, I'll check it out.
Old November 4th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Lou" wrote in message
.. .
I have a radio that my mother gave to my father as a gift in the late
1970's (or there abouts, she thinks). It's a Candle made by the Tokyo
Transistor Industry Co., LTD., model TK-2653.

[snip]

For what it's worth, I associate Candle radios with the late 50s and early
60s, but I'm no expert.

The few Candle radios I'm aware of are shirt pocket AM only transistor
radios.

Frank Dresser

Old November 4th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dan Say" wrote in message

www.universal-radio.com used to publish a book
of older shortwave radios and their specs.
Your local library may have a copy.

I have a copy of Shortwave Receivers Past and Present and there's no mention
of any Candle radios.

Frank Dresser

Old November 5th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Frank Dresser" ) writes:
"Lou" wrote in message
.. .
I have a radio that my mother gave to my father as a gift in the late
1970's (or there abouts, she thinks). It's a Candle made by the Tokyo
Transistor Industry Co., LTD., model TK-2653.

[snip]

For what it's worth, I associate Candle radios with the late 50s and early
60s, but I'm no expert.

The few Candle radios I'm aware of are shirt pocket AM only transistor
radios.

Frank Dresser

I recognize the name, and since I wouldn't have noticed much in
the sixties (because I was too young), I have the feeling the label
did run into the seventies.

That said, my impression is that it isn't much more than a label,
that the radios were pretty generic and low end.

Given that, I wouldn't be surprised to find one of those portable
am/fm/sw and "public service" band radios with a Candle label on it.

Michael

Old November 5th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Jim is offline

the candle radio line were fairly cheap radios of program listening
quality. they were primarily intended for reception of the big
powerhouse stations and were not of dx quality. they were sturdy and
functional. as you have stated it probably holds its own with the s350,
a modern radio with a similar intended usage. both are analog radios
with the coarse tuning and wide filters. those old 60's and 70's radios
do have a certain nostalgia and charm and sometimes its amazing what
they will sell for on ebay! do an ebay search and you might find one
similar to yours. it would be great on the nightstand and it WAS your
pops radio.............. seems very valuable to me!

Old November 5th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Whether it's a Candle name on it or whatever,some of those old radios
are worth a lot of money.If you still have the box the radio came
in,hang on to the box too.
cuhulin

Old November 5th 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Lou" wrote in message
.. .
I have a radio that my mother gave to my father as a gift in the late
1970's (or there abouts, she thinks). It's a Candle made by the Tokyo
Transistor Industry Co., LTD., model TK-2653.

[snip]

For what it's worth, I associate Candle radios with the late 50s and early
60s, but I'm no expert.

The few Candle radios I'm aware of are shirt pocket AM only transistor
radios.

Frank Dresser

I sold some Candle stereos... I still use one of them
today... and in
general they were a good brand name, although my $700.00 Candle micro-
wave oven went kaput after 4 years.

Old November 7th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Looking back to my salad days (late '50s, early '60s), I recall that Candle
table radios (about the size of a kid's lunchbox) were the poor man's choice
in the early days of AC-powered transistor radios if you couldn't afford
SONY.

Jim

.. .