Old November 7th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Annoying hetrodyne with AMU-AML and ECSS - TTrx350D

Hi,

since a view days I own an TTrx350D, second hand. I notice an annoying
beep / hetrodyne in the background when I'm listening to amplitude
modulated stations in ssb mode: AMU-AML and ECSS.
Strange but SAM sounds oké! When I'm listening to hams everything is
also ok.

So, there is always a hetrodyne tone when I'm listening that way. Very
annoying!!
Is there someone else how recognise this problem and knows how to cure
it?

Thank you in advance,
grtz.

Hans

Old November 8th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Is there someone else how recognise this problem and knows how to cure
it?

Thank you in advance,
grtz.

Hans

*****

Hi Hans.

i have a 350 here, but i don't have the het. you may want to join
the
yahoo group. lots of great info there.

Father Michael.
Old November 8th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Hans" ) writes:
Hi,

since a view days I own an TTrx350D, second hand. I notice an annoying
beep / hetrodyne in the background when I'm listening to amplitude
modulated stations in ssb mode: AMU-AML and ECSS.
Strange but SAM sounds ok=E9! When I'm listening to hams everything is
also ok.

So, there is always a hetrodyne tone when I'm listening that way. Very
annoying!!
Is there someone else how recognise this problem and knows how to cure
it?

Assuming you are treating the AM signal as an SSB signal (ie using
an SSB filter and the product detector for demodulation), the beat
is hardly unexpected. The AM signal has a carrier, and then you've
got a "locally generated carrier" in the receiver.

The point of tuning the AM signal as SSB is that the narrower filter
knocks out the unwanted sideband, and attenuates the carrier of the incoming
signal enough that it is too weak to cause a noticeable beat against
the receiver's BFO.

But if things aren't tuned properly (be it the BFO in the receiver
isn't adjusted properly, or the main tuning isn't adjusted properly)
then there will be a beat note, and that's expected.

The whole point of synchronous detectors is to take this a step
further, keeping with the advantages of beating a locally generated
signal against the incoming signal. But the actual bit that synchronizes
things ensures that the locally generated "carrier" is right where the
incoming signal's carrier is, and then there can never be a beat between
the two.

Michael

Old November 8th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Father Mike schreef:

Is there someone else how recognise this problem and knows how to cure
it?

Thank you in advance,
grtz.

Hans

*****

Hi Hans.

i have a 350 here, but i don't have the het. you may want to join
the
yahoo group. lots of great info there.

Father Michael.

Hi Father Mike,

Thank you for your replay. Yes, since a view days I'm a member of de
TT3x350 Yahoo group end yes I have already post the same message in the
group. But no replay sofar.

I bought the rx350D with the keypad and the TT speaker and I find it an
wonderful Radio. Compared to my TTrx340 it does an very good job!
Filters of the rx340 are better but the sound of the rx350 is very
good! The TT speaker is very good to my ears, so I'm happy with this
radio.

My shack is totaly USA made: TT (rx350, rx340 and rx320) and Drake (r7
and r8b). And from Radio Shack the Realistic DX-160 with speaker, my
very first radio from the seventies.

Thank you,

Hans from Scotland.

Old November 8th 06, 09:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael Black schreef:

"Hans" ) writes:
Hi,

since a view days I own an TTrx350D, second hand. I notice an annoying
beep / hetrodyne in the background when I'm listening to amplitude
modulated stations in ssb mode: AMU-AML and ECSS.
Strange but SAM sounds ok=E9! When I'm listening to hams everything is
also ok.

So, there is always a hetrodyne tone when I'm listening that way. Very
annoying!!
Is there someone else how recognise this problem and knows how to cure
it?

Thank you Michael Black:

Assuming you are treating the AM signal as an SSB signal (ie using
an SSB filter and the product detector for demodulation), the beat
is hardly unexpected. The AM signal has a carrier, and then you've
got a "locally generated carrier" in the receiver.

Yes that's the way I tuned the AM signal as an SSB signal. (ECSS ore
AMU - AML) In the passband of the filter I hear an carrier, even if I
have proper tuned! (LSB or USB = the same)
When I tune a AM signal in AMS (both sides) I can not hear this
carrier.

The point of tuning the AM signal as SSB is that the narrower filter
knocks out the unwanted sideband, and attenuates the carrier of the incoming
signal enough that it is too weak to cause a noticeable beat against
the receiver's BFO.

Even with a very narrow bandwidth I still hear the carrier!

But if things aren't tuned properly (be it the BFO in the receiver
isn't adjusted properly, or the main tuning isn't adjusted properly)
then there will be a beat note, and that's expected.
The whole point of synchronous detectors is to take this a step
further, keeping with the advantages of beating a locally generated
signal against the incoming signal. But the actual bit that synchronizes
things ensures that the locally generated "carrier" is right where the
incoming signal's carrier is, and then there can never be a beat between
the two.

Well that's the point I think, things are not proper tuned inside or
are not in line with each other.
There for the radio cannot attenuate the carrier because of that.

Question: is it better to send the radio to TT UK ore is this something
every techie (HAM techie) can fix this?

Michael

Thank you Michael, and sorry for my bad english.

Hans

Old November 9th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hans schreef:

Michael Black schreef:

"Hans" ) writes:
[...]

I found the cu put the rx350 on DC!! and everything is ok. The
internal psu is an bad one so the only solution to have no problems put
your rx50 on DC power instead AC; according to an technical man from
TenTec UK. They know this issue !!!

Hans