Old November 23rd 06, 12:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default US TV Series that omit the existance of SW broadcasting or skywave MW radio listening: "Jericho" (currently running)...

US TV Series that omit the existence of SW broadcasting or skywave MW radio
listening: "Jericho" (currently running)...

Old November 23rd 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Max Power wrote:

US TV Series that omit the existence of SW broadcasting or skywave MW radio
listening: "Jericho" (currently running)...

So? It's TV... not necessarily reality.

Get a clue.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 23rd 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Max Power wrote:
US TV Series that omit the existence of SW broadcasting or skywave MW radio
listening: "Jericho" (currently running)...

For those of use who went through CD training, Jericho is an "example
of what not to do".
The only thing this show has going is the human drama. Everything else
is too bogus
for words.

My friends and I watch it, take notes and compare the gaffs we have
seen. Way too many
to list here. The alt.survival and misc.survival groups have ongoing
threads about Jericho, but even they are way to uncritical.

The show reminds me of "Father Knows Best" or "Leave it to Beaver"
meets "Mad Max",
or Chris Carters "X-Files". US parachutes, dropped by Chineese aircraft
with
Chineese supplies? More like Supermans Bizaro world then any variaiton
on reality
that I can dream up. Of course I don't smoke dope, so maybe that would
make
the show more "real".

Any group of people so uniformed as to try to lay an "ambush" against
men with military
weapons in such a clownish manor would be worm food. See U-tube for
last weeks "exciting" show. Or the week before in Rogue River with the
RavenWood, er Blackwater
mercs letting or heros get away is just too funny.

EMP isn't going to stop your Rolex.

And given the lack of running water, everyone looks a damn site cleaner
then I would
expect.

So Watch the show, and enjoy the fun. It is the funniest thing since
"Voyage to the
bottom of the Sea".

Terry

Old November 24th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:
wrote:
Max Power wrote:
US TV Series that omit the existence of SW broadcasting or skywave MW radio
listening: "Jericho" (currently running)...
For those of use who went through CD training, Jericho is an "example
of what not to do".
The only thing this show has going is the human drama. Everything else
is too bogus
for words.

And given the lack of running water, everyone looks a damn site cleaner
then I would
expect.

So Watch the show, and enjoy the fun. It is the funniest thing since
"Voyage to the
bottom of the Sea".

Terry

Oh, like when 'Sparks', using a BC-348, monitored Radio Moscow while
at 200 Fathoms?

In one of the early episodes of 'Jericho,' though, Hawkins WAS taking
CW on HF.

I believe he was using a VHF receiver to do it, though.

FT101. It has been too long, 25+ years, since I last used an FT101, so
there
are too many versions fo me to be sure which version it is.

Was it? I didn't catch that. Doing too many things while it was on, I
guess. I saw him playing with a VHF rig, at one point. But, yeah, an FT
101 would do it.

An early hybrid, transistor receive, vacumm tube TX. Nice beginner ham
HF rig
back then.
http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft101.htm

It was a pretty decent rig. One of my buddies from college swore by his.

This show has enough humour that if I ration it correctly it will last
a decade!

Terry

Old November 24th 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:
Was it? I didn't catch that. Doing too many things while it was on, I
guess. I saw him playing with a VHF rig, at one point. But, yeah, an FT
101 would do it.

It was an FT101F to be exact, I just looked.

It was a pretty decent rig. One of my buddies from college swore by his.

It and the Kenwood TS-520 were the mainstay of Japanese radios for a
long time. Good solid radios. Easy to use, almost impossbile to damage,
good sound.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old November 23rd 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
FT101. It has been too long, 25+ years, since I last used an FT101, so
there
are too many versions fo me to be sure which version it is.

FT-101z or zd to be exact. I'll have to look.

An early hybrid, transistor receive, vacumm tube TX. Nice beginner ham
HF rig
back then.
http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft101.htm

This show has enough humour that if I ration it correctly it will last
a decade!

While it has it's moments, and a few "inside jokes" like the fake Rolex,
it's not really funny.

Of course it might be because I live in a safe part of a country that was
under constant missle attack for over a month. In the north, several
hundred rockets arrived each day, destorying the infrastructure, killing
people, wiping out crops and livestock and forcing people to live in
shelters for over a month.

We still are being hit with rockets in the south, killing people and
destroying homes, schools and jobs, every day.

To you it's one big joke because you are so well informed and so smart,
to me it's a prohpetic vision a world filled with ignorant people
who little or no practical education and average intelligence.

To keep it on subject that's why I check the battery in my FR-200 once
a month to make sure it will take a charge. The original one died.

On the other hand, I'm working on things that would help prevent the
ignorance highlighted in Jericho, but that's beyond the scope of this
newsgroup.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel
N3OWJ/4X1GM
Old November 23rd 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Back in 1974 we had a string of Tornados pass through knocking out
power
for just under 3 days. There I was with receivers that were useless
because
the mains were down.

I got my ham license 2 months later, joined CD, went through the
training
for about 10 years. During the Carter presidency, right as CD was being
turned into FEMA I bailed when I saw how clueless the plan was. In the
event of a nuke out Lexington was to evacuated to the east. Fat chance
in
hell. 200K people out in less then 36 hours to where, to eat what etc.
I walked
away when I saw there was no meaningfull way to move that many people
within any sort of reasonable time frame.

I have several nice radiological instruments, from the simple geiger
counter,
through multi decade ion chamber to a scintilation counter. I paid less
then
pennies on the kilo dollar. Not prepared for WWIII, but becuase I am
noisy.
There is a spot in the Red River Gorge that has Thorium. I wanted a
sample
and found the spot and have some nice samples.

As to educating the masses I gave it up for lent. Those that want an
education
can get one with minimal effort. For those who think that a ground or
air burst
100 miles (160KM) away will have any imdediate effect, EMP, direct
radiation,
thermal pulse, they have my pity. For those that think a 20KT device
set off
400 miles up will do more then dazzle a few on lookers, great. However
in the
event of a weapon designed for EMP, a multi-kiloton, multi stage
device, that
will have serious effects. No fancy electronics with anything with as
much as a
meter of cable. Blinded people with problems ranging from tmep flash
blindness
to permanent loss of vission with every step in between.And other then
keep some
gear in a good farraday cage, there is not a lot I can do about that.
If Iran,
NK or China decides to set a 4MT device off 400 miles up over the
center of the
USA most of my wonderfull toys will be toast and life will become very
unpleasant.
Without our 21st century technology and transportation a whole lot of
use will die
because there just ins't enough food to feed the 400K in the greater
Lexington
Area. The west coast with no local water would fair even worse. Am I
concerned,
hell yes, am I worried, only slightly. There is nothing I can do to
effect the course
of "my" own government. And less that I can do to effect NK etc.

I stock food not becuase I think the Chineese or AQ will nuke us, but
because
I know we will likely have an ice storm this winter that will make any
travel
risky. I have way too many radios, and batteries, and PV cells and a
hand crank
genset not because I worry about EMP but because I like my toys.

I still have my CD shelter warden manuals. I stll have my potasium
iodate.
And I carry life, health and automotive insurance. Who knows at 55 I
might still be
tough enough and smart enough to survie a Jerricho type event. I
wouldn't bet
on it, but who knows.

Perhaps the people who survive a near nuke event, or huricane or
tornado,
or a blizzard will be those who are prepared. And like in Katrina,
those who
expect the "government" to step in and help them will end up like the
patients
in the Rogue River Community Hospital.

If you and or your country men every get sick and tired of the rocket
attacks you
have the technical solutions to your problem. What I think is missing
is the
political and collective will to force the issue. I have no illsusions
about my
ability to hold off mercs like Blackwater etal. I insist this show is
only usefull
as examples of what not to do and for the "OMG did you see that
stupidity".

If you choose to find other meanings great!

I didn't know a Rolex was mechanical. They are way out of my price
range.
Please let me rephrase my comment to "An EMP event will have no effect
on electric or electronic watches. Even those made from plastic."

It will fry most newer vehicals, and almost everything else of value
that
has a CPU or solid state device.

Terry