Old November 29th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Drake R8B on eBay

I think the high prices for the R8B are a
bit excessive -- it's a great receiver, but
these days, with SW on the way out, there is
not much a R8B can do that a R8 or R8A cannot.

wrote:
Geary Morton wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
Some people are paying more for the Drake R8B used than it sold for
when new??? Do it's signal catching abilities improve with age and
use? It has apparently attained collectible status alongside other
notables like the Panasonic RF9000, Sony CRF330 and Zenith TO with
performance apparently a secondary issue.

Uh, I don't think performance is a secondary issue, rather it's the
primary issue. The 'performance' of an R8B is competitive if not
superior in some ways to anything currently being offered by anyone.

At those prices performance would have to be a secondary issue because
comparable reception performance could be gotten from several other
discontinued high-end receivers. And that is the price for a used
receiver not a new one.

don't know of any radio for the same (albeit inflated) price that offers
more, and there is certainly NO comparison between it and any of the
other radios you list, IMHO.

The radios including the Drake were listed mostly because collector
interest has pushed the price beyond anything that makes sense. Those
radios perform no better now than when new and indeed they are all
gradually aging.

Geary

Old November 29th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dan Robinson wrote:
I think the high prices for the R8B are a
bit excessive -- it's a great receiver, but
these days, with SW on the way out, there is
not much a R8B can do that a R8 or R8A cannot.

wrote:
Geary Morton wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
[...]

The synch on the B rev sucks less than earlier models.

Old November 29th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear John,

With the dearth of great affordable table-top short wave radios
currently being manufactured, the price for the older, discontinued,
ones in good condition can only go up. These will be purchased either
as "collector" items or for actual use, as one in good condition will
greatly outperform any portable ever or currently being manufactured. I
have told my wife that when I "ascend" (hopefully) to the great "Radio
Shack in the Sky," to be careful - I believe that, once the AOR AR7030
Plus is discontinued, its price will positively skyrocket and she
should not settle for anything less than a "good price." (A "good
price," of course, being what someone is willing to pay at the time one
wants to sell!) My unit, of course, is in perfect condition; my wife
made a cover for it and I keep it covered (and unplugged) when it is
not in use and I have retained the original box, the original packing,
and all paperwork associated with it. But I wish I had the money to buy
another fully-tricked-out AR7030 Plus and just keep it in its box. What
a price THAT would bring some year in the future!

Best,

Joe

John Plimmer wrote:
I am intrigued by this offering:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:WNARL:US:12

He offers a buy it now price of US $1,699.00, but has a starting bid of US
$1,650.00, to which so far, after four days, he has had no bids at all.

Makes one wonder..??

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old November 29th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

How could an old used Postage Stamp be worth over buku Thousands of
Dollars? It's all Relative,Boy/Girl/Minnie Pearl,,, it's all Relative.Or
sompin lak dat.
cuhulin
www.irishroots.org/aoh/soldsong1.mid

Old November 29th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Plimmer wrote:
I am intrigued by this offering:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:WNARL:US:12

He offers a buy it now price of US $1,699.00, but has a starting bid of US
$1,650.00, to which so far, after four days, he has had no bids at all.

Makes one wonder..??

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

There is only one problem with the AR7030+, and that is the weak
dollar. I'm glad I bought mine years ago. However, mine has seen many a
trip to the boonies. I have an ammo case with cut to fit padding to
transport it. Incidentally, you need to put electrical tape over the
rear IR sensor when you use it outdoors.

Old November 29th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Joe Analssandrini wrote:
[...]

It sounds like you can't afford NOT to buy another fully-tricked-out
AR7030 Plus!

Old November 29th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Geary Morton wrote:

Dan Robinson wrote:
I think the high prices for the R8B are a
bit excessive -- it's a great receiver, but
these days, with SW on the way out, there is
not much a R8B can do that a R8 or R8A cannot.

Or high-end receivers from several other companies that bailed out of
the HF radio market before Drake did.

Old November 29th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Steve,

Are you kidding? If I did that, you'd find TWO AR7030 Pluses for sale
by my wife (at lot sooner than I anticipated) and one less member on
this group. (R.I.P. Joe and Radio!)

Best,

Joe

Old November 29th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Geary Morton wrote:

Dan Robinson wrote:
I think the high prices for the R8B are a
bit excessive -- it's a great receiver, but
these days, with SW on the way out, there is
not much a R8B can do that a R8 or R8A cannot.

Or high-end receivers from several other companies that bailed out of
the HF radio market before Drake did.

Gawd... you're more of a damn whiner than Maghakian is.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 29th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

HJS - The Collector has one thought : GOT TO HAVE IT !

IMHO - What you see on eBay with the Drake R8B
are "Market Forces" setting the Price for a Limited
Quantity of an Highly Valued Item 'For Sale" at Auction.
Plus - Perceived High Quality of the Item.
Plus - Excellent Performance of the Item.
Plus - Very Few Items / Discontinued / Not Being Made Anymore.
Plus - Small Number of 'Very Interested' Buyers.
eBay Auction = World Wide "Open {Competitive} Market".

basic economics 101- yes it is that simple ~ RHF