Old December 4th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default RCI Reception in Seattle, is it possible? My understanding is that the HR antennas that target North America cannot target Puget Sound...

RCI Reception in Seattle, is it possible?
My understanding is that the HR Type antennas in Sackville that target North
America cannot target Puget Sound...

Applicable Reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HRS_type_antennas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOACAP

Old December 4th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Max Power wrote:
RCI Reception in Seattle, is it possible?
My understanding is that the HR Type antennas in Sackville that target North
America cannot target Puget Sound...

Targetting is irrelevant - enough spills over that there is zero
difficulty in getting anything coming out of Sackville through all of
North America. You're close enough that you can get almost all the
Vancouver TV and radio stations with only slight effort, anyway!

Tim.

Old December 4th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
ve3... wrote:

wrote:
Max Power wrote:
RCI Reception in Seattle, is it possible?
My understanding is that the HR Type antennas in Sackville that target North
America cannot target Puget Sound...

I've picked them up (but not at a convenient time). The Radio Netherlands
weekend programs out of Sackville at 11:00 AM -1:00 PM PST get here,
with variable success.

They also relay out of East Asia at times, too. So you may be able
to get that better.

If you just want to hear CBC prgrams, don't forget CBC 90.5 FM
Victoria, which is closer. The Vancouver stations are CBU 690 AM and
105.7 FM. They can be found on the web at:
http://www.bcpassport.com/vital/radio.hmtl

690 kHz in Seattle is hopeless, even before KIRO-710 started IBOC.
They have an amazing notch in their pattern and even with a sal****er
connection all the way there, I never got more that a barely listen-able
signal. It's easier to tune to 6160 kHz, daytime, to get CBC-1 or
540 kHz (CBK Regina?) at night.

Even better is FM, CBC-1 is somewhere down in the educational frequencies,
(maybe that 90.5 MHz you mentioned), and CBC-2 is on 92.1 MHz. And the
French service is just below KING-FM. 97.7 or 97.9 MHz. (They've put
some new US stations in there, so there may be more of a problem getting
that now).

There's also a lot of RCI on the early morning World Radio Network
feed on KXOT-91.7. I think that's also the HD2 program on KUOW IBOC.

Mark Zenier

Old December 4th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
MAS MAS is offline

On 4 Dec 2006 08:41:18 -0800, "ve3..." wrote:

If you just want to hear CBC prgrams, don't forget CBC 90.5 FM
Victoria, which is closer. The Vancouver stations are CBU 690 AM and
105.7 FM.

This is a shortwave group, yet nobody mentioned the CKZU relay on 6160
kHz! I imagine Seattle is probably one of the few places in North
America where you can get reasonable reception of their signal, at
least when R Netherlands isn't thumping away on 6165.

Old December 5th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Max Power" wrote:

RCI Reception in Seattle, is it possible?
My understanding is that the HR Type antennas in Sackville that target North
America cannot target Puget Sound...

Applicable Reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HRS_type_antennas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOACAP

I don't seem to have any problem getting Chinese opera on a million
channels all day and night. ( A very slight exaggeration )

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 5th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com, "ve3..." wrote:

wrote:
Max Power wrote:
RCI Reception in Seattle, is it possible?
My understanding is that the HR Type antennas in Sackville that target

North
America cannot target Puget Sound...

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""
If you just want to hear CBC prgrams, don't forget CBC 90.5 FM
Victoria, which is closer. The Vancouver stations are CBU 690 AM and
105.7 FM. They can be found on the web at:
http://www.bcpassport.com/vital/radio.hmtl

-------
There are other languages in Canada.
French CBC on 97.7 and 90.9 FM from Vancouver.
others
Première Chaîne
Chilliwack 102,1 FM
Dawson Creek 93,7 FM
Kamloops 96,5 FM
Kelowna 90,5 FM
Kitimat 105,1 FM
Port Alb erni 94,9 FM
Prince George 95,5 FM
Terrace 96,9 FM
Vancouver 97,7 FM
Victoria 99,7 FM
Whitehorse 102,1 FM

Espace musique
Vancouver 90, 9 FM
Victoria 88,9 FM

For shortwave you might try the Northern and Quebec service whose beam
is so wide you can get it in Seattle.

And then there is everyone's favourite station CHU
3330 kHz, 7335 kHz, and 14670 kHz everywhere
Old December 5th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dan Say wrote:

For shortwave you might try the Northern and Quebec service whose beam
is so wide you can get it in Seattle.

I get it pretty well here in central California - must be a rear lobe
or something.

And then there is everyone's favourite station CHU
3330 kHz, 7335 kHz, and 14670 kHz everywhere

Yeah, but maybe not for long. Not very newsy, either.

Bruce Jensen

Old December 8th 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:

Dan Say wrote:

For shortwave you might try the Northern and Quebec service
whose beam is so wide you can get it in Seattle.

I get it pretty well here in central California - must be a rear
lobe or something.

And then there is everyone's favourite station CHU
3330 kHz, 7335 kHz, and 14670 kHz everywhere

Yeah, but maybe not for long. Not very newsy, either.

Bruce Jensen

CHU not newsy? The news changes every minute.

And it only the upper frequency that is in danger.
--
For real Dxing,

Old December 8th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dan Say wrote:

CHU not newsy? The news changes every minute.

LOL!

And it only the upper frequency that is in danger.

Oh - my mistake - I thought I recalled that all three may be in
jeopardy.

Bruce Jensen