Old July 20th 04, 08:42 PM
Mike Terry

Default More DRM broadcasts for North America

Monday, 19 July 2004

Washington, D.C. based National Association of Short-wave Broadcasters
(NASB), are to commence DRM transmissions to North America starting on
Saturday, July 24.

The NASB programming will be sent from the Sackville, New Brunswick,
transmitter site of DRM member Radio Canada International/CBC, and will
reach the Eastern U.S. and Canada. The NASB's members are 19 privately
owned, U.S. licensed, short-wave radio stations. Its associate members
include non-U.S. licensed broadcasters, manufacturers and others.

DRM broadcasts of the following DRM members are also available in North
America: BBC World Service; Deutsche Welle; RCI; Radio Netherlands; Swedish
Radio International; and Radio Vaticana. DRM transmissions of China Radio
International, Radio Kuwait and TDP Radio (a commercial, dance mix station
from Belgium) also reach North America.

For the latest DRM Live Broadcasts Schedule, visit www.drm.org.

NASB will transmit the program Voice of the NASB via short-wave to North
America on Saturdays, starting at 17:00 UTC, at 11900 kHz. Voice of the NASB
is a half-hour variety series jointly produced by various NASB members and
associate members. It comprises documentaries, travel reports, mailbag
programs, religious dramas, music, and station profiles.

NASB has been sending DRM transmissions to Europe since 2003 via the
Rampisham, England, transmitter site of VT Communications. These
transmissions will end on July 18th.

"The success of our DRM broadcasts to Europe via VT Communications has
proven to us beyond any doubt the tremendous capabilities of DRM to transmit
programs with FM mono quality and with no fading, static or interference,"
said Jeff White, outgoing NASB President and Producer of Voice of the NASB.
"We now look toward our home turf of North America, and we are delighted to
bring DRM programs to listeners in the U.S. and Canada in the coming months
with the help of CBC."

"The NASB broadcasts are a great addition to the growing range of DRM
content available in North America," says DRM Chairman Peter Senger. "We
applaud NASB's participation, and we invite broadcasters from around the
world to join in providing radio listeners with DRM's superb clarity and
excellent reception."

DRM is the world's only non-proprietary, universally standardized, digital
on-air system for medium-wave, short-wave and long-wave. DRM gives
broadcasters the capability to enhance new or existing audio programs with
complementary text DRM also enables broadcasters to wrap speech in multiple
languages around a single music stream, extending the reach of existing
audio content.

http://ukradio.com/news/articles/CEE...4087F39B33.asp