Old December 5th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Panasonic RF-B65 how expan it to full frequency coverage?

Hi all,
I've seached all the web but didn't found this information; long ago
this receiver was produced with full coverage 150 - 30000 kHz and
reduced versions like in Germany, whith coverage liìmited to 26100 kHz
(it didn't had the external antenna plug, too.

Does anyone here knows how to fix it?

Many thanks and best regards.

--
Stars shine like eyes
Old December 6th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Vincent wrote:
Hi all,
I've seached all the web but didn't found this information; long ago
this receiver was produced with full coverage 150 - 30000 kHz and
reduced versions like in Germany, whith coverage liìmited to 26100 kHz
(it didn't had the external antenna plug, too.

Does anyone here knows how to fix it?

Here's the info that I have (credit must go to a gentleman called
Stephan for these instructions).

To remove the 26.1 MHz limit, apparently all you need to do is
move R292 (22k 1/10W) located at one corner of IC202 (the
µP7508G on the LCD PCB) to the R259 position right next to it.
At this opportunity I found that all in all there are three
pins total on IC202 that are pulled to ground on the RF-B65DA:

* pin 52, marked "(P 72 )SW/2G", via R259 (pulling to VDD via
R292 results in 26.1 MHz limit)
* pin 2, marked "FM/J(P73)", via R258; presumably switches to
76-90 MHz FM (Japanese band) when pulled to VDD (vacant
position exists).
* pin 51, marked "(P 71) A I R", via R260 (vacant position
exists); that one's a mystery, AFAIK the RF-B65 never featured
air band (108...136 MHz) reception. Maybe shortwave reception
can be restricted to 3850 kHz upwards here, as found with
(Sony) models for Italy.

Something which might be problematic is that the DA uses a
different antenna coil than the D, so sensitivity may not be
perfect above 26 MHz. Also different IF transformers are used
and the values of a few other parts are changed (I'd attribute
most of these to normal improvements, but you never know).
Something really odd: The D model for Germany used a different
second IF of 459 instead of 450 kHz.

If you plan on doing a modification, I'd really recommend
getting the service manual. (For the RF-B65DA in this case,
which includes the RF-B65D manual plus changes from D to DA.)
Disassembly does not seem entirely trivial.
Old December 6th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2006-12-05 07:18:53 -0500, Vincent said:

Hi all,
I've seached all the web but didn't found this information; long ago
this receiver was produced with full coverage 150 - 30000 kHz and
reduced versions like in Germany, whith coverage liìmited to 26100 kHz
(it didn't had the external antenna plug, too.

Does anyone here knows how to fix it?

Many thanks and best regards.

I'm lucky, my old RF-B65 has full coverage. I've had this rig a LONG
time now and use it every day. Great little radio!

Old December 6th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Il /06 dic 2006/, *Steve* ha scritto:

Here's the info that I have (credit must go to a gentleman called
Stephan for these instructions).

MANY many THANKS!! Also to Stephan, of course!

--
Stars shine like eyes
Old December 8th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve ha scritto:

Here's the info that I have

Hi Steve,
I've sent you an email, did you received it? Bye.

PS Ahò, m'arisponni? :-)

--
Stars shine like eyes

Old December 9th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Vincent wrote:
Steve ha scritto:

Here's the info that I have

Hi Steve,
I've sent you an email, did you received it? Bye.

PS Ahò, m'arisponni? :-)

Just sent you an email from my valid address.

Yes, the B65 is a great set. The only criticism I can make it poor
selectivity on FM. I'm playing around with replacing the FM IF filters
at the moment but could do with some alignment instructions....

Steve.