Old December 11th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default S.O.S... going NUTS over reception problems

I'm not an avid shortwaver by any stretch, I had a good
time with a hand held a few years back and had it stolen in Mexico.
I recently have purchased a Sangean ATS 909, all I've read were good
reviews.
Can someone help diagnose my troubles he

I can hardly pick up ANYTHING. I can search through 2MHz to 30 MHz all
day
and night and pick up 3 or 4 transmissions.

I have just bought an external antenna to see if that'd help, it's an
EMF antenna,
a good one.

STILL NOTHING. What the hell? I live in Philadelphia in a 3rd floor
apartment, nothing
out of the ordinary in terms of interference... is it my equipment?
Should I contact Sangean?
Please inform.

Thanks,

Xan

Old December 11th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

[...]

I don't have that radio, but check if it has a local/dx switch.

The 909 does have an RF gain, just left of the whip antenna. This
should be turned all the way up for starters. SW is not especially
sensitive on the whip antenna alone, but you should get more than 4
stations. An external antenna should get you almost any big
transmitters, and in a quiet environment you should be able to hear an
abundance of stations..

Try the 11.5-12 MHz band almost anytime, the 9.3-9.9 MHz band beginning
mid-afternoon, and the 7-7.5 MHz band and 5.8 - 6.2 MHz bands this
evening starting at about sunset. You should get a passel of stations
on all of these, as these are the major international broadcast bands
that work best in winter. During the day, also try 13.5 - 14, 15 -
15.6 and 17.6- 17.9 MHz.

Bruce Jensen

Old December 12th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

Sangean and Tecsun/Eton/Grundig are junk - you should have bought a
Sony.

Well, that's very helpful. Proud of yourself?

BJ

Old December 12th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

I don't think it is your radio, so try the following.

First, since you live in an apartment, you should position your radio
to be reasonably close to a window.

Secondly, the shortwave spectrum is quite wide and large sections if it
will not have much radio activity at a given point in time. So it's
important to know when and where to listen. Try the following:

Broadcast signals:
15.0 mhz to 15.5 mhz during the day.
11.3 to 11.8 mhz during the day.
9.3mhz to 10.0 mhz during the evening and into morning. Try 9580 for
radio australia in the early morning on the east coast.
7.2mhz to 7.5mhz during the afternoon and evening.
5.8mhz to 6.4mhz during the later afternoon and evening. Radio Havana
should be loud and clear on 6.0mhz in the evening.

Ham signals (radio will have to be in ssb):
14.1 to 14.4mhz in USB daytime and evening.
7.1 to 7.4mhz in LSB night and morning.
3.7 to 4.0mhz in LSB evenings.
1.8 to 2.0 mhz in LSB evenings.

Old December 12th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Just don't go around willy nilly hollering Mayday on radio.You could get
in trouble about that.
cuhulin

Old December 12th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Living in an apartment building in a big city (such as
Philadelphia,Penns Woods) isn't very conducive to picking up
Shortwave.Try Philadelphia,Mississippi instead. www.555us.com
cuhulin

Old December 12th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

That was very helpful - you must own a ****ty Tecsun/Eton/Grundig.