Old December 22nd 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Test gear

A net aquaintance asked me what he needs for test gear to dial in a
boatanchor. He told me he had a signal generator, vtvm, and a toob
tester. I thought a scope might be a good addition to his bench and
recommend a used BK. They seem to be a good buy and plenty guys have
them and service info I think is easy to get. I have Tek 465 but I
don;t think that is a good scope for basic bench. Too complicated and
prone to fail and so forth.

I would like to hear comments on my recomendation for scope and also
if there is some other piece of gear he should have.

73
NEO

Old December 24th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

N9NEO wrote:
A net aquaintance asked me what he needs for test gear to dial in a
boatanchor. He told me he had a signal generator, vtvm, and a toob
tester. I thought a scope might be a good addition to his bench and
recommend a used BK. They seem to be a good buy and plenty guys have
them and service info I think is easy to get. I have Tek 465 but I
don;t think that is a good scope for basic bench. Too complicated and
prone to fail and so forth.

I would like to hear comments on my recomendation for scope and also
if there is some other piece of gear he should have.

73
NEO

A scope may be overkill for a simple alignment, but they ARE fun to
play with for more exacting diagnostics.

I use a few, depending: A Supreme my grandfather used in his shack.
(Bought a NOS CRT a few years ago. At the WWII price.) It's not at all
accurate, or even calibrated, with an ungraduated screen, but as a
qualitative tool, it's fine. I use a Pocketscope for general work on the
bench. A 100Mhz dual trace by Monsanto for serious diagnostics, and a
Tek 453 when I need more vesatile triggering/delay sweep. Truthfully, I
could get away with the Tek alone. But I have a fondness for toys.

For most boatanchor alignments, I use WWV as a frequency standard,
calibrate my signal generator to it, and with a VTVM, pretty much get it
done. It's possible to use a scope as a more precise voltmeter for
zeroing in an exact position of a trimmer or a slug, but a careful hand,
a good eye and a little practice can get you there with only a
voltmeter. And remember, you don't need a lot of highly calibrated
instruments, here, you're only going for peaks and minima.

I rarely need a sweep generator, or a marker generator unless I'm
doing some FM work.

So, your recommendations are pretty much spot on.

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die? Dirk Antenna 724 October 2nd 06 07:02 PM
DX test Results [email protected] Broadcasting 0 April 3rd 04 04:32 PM
DX test Results [email protected] Broadcasting 0 March 19th 04 05:28 PM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 01:02 AM
WXHL DX test - update! [email protected] Shortwave 1 February 24th 04 01:57 AM