RadioBanter

-   -   Balun vs. Unun (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/112305-balun-vs-unun.html)

Telamon December 26th 06 06:42 PM

Balun vs. Unun

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Telamon wrote:
Well, I think you mean noise currents. The signals the single element
antenna picks up are also common mode.

Here the voltage type UNUN has the advantage of DC isolation between the

Balun = "BALanced-to-UNbalanced"

Unun = "UNbalanced-to-UNbalanced"

What type of antenna you are feed AND what type of feed your
rcvr/xmitter expects SOLELY determines if you should use a balun or a
unun ...

That's the conventional terminology. I capitalize to make the acronym
obvious.

Five reasons I can think of to use some type of transformer.

1. Impedance transformation.

2. Matching a balanced or unbalanced antenna to the same for the feed
line used.

3. DC static electricity isolation.

4. Isolate RF ground from AC mains ground.

5. Decouple the antenna feed from the antenna so the feed does not act
as part of the antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

H. State December 26th 06 07:10 PM

Balun vs. Unun

John Smith wrote:
Telamon wrote:

This is where it is necessary to implement the "KISS Rule", one device
is usually used to do most if not all that.

However, one can feel important by over-complicating things ...

JS

Or learning disabled, as in your case................

H. State December 26th 06 07:14 PM

Balun vs. Unun

John Smith wrote:
H. State wrote:

Hey, does your mom know you are using her computer?

JS

She's dead, maybe I'll go visit her grave and mention it to her.

You my friend, are a retard!

H. State December 26th 06 07:20 PM

Balun vs. Unun

John Smith wrote:
H. State wrote:

That's ok, you are not the only 12 year old mind trapped in an older
body. Stiff upper lip, cheerio OM!

JS

Cheerio? Limey eh?

Pip, pip, old chap! Stiff upper lip and all that.................:-)

John Smith December 26th 06 07:23 PM

Balun vs. Unun

John Smith December 26th 06 07:28 PM

Balun vs. Unun

H. State December 26th 06 07:37 PM

Balun vs. Unun

John Smith wrote:
H. State wrote:
Cheerio? Limey eh?

Pip, pip, old chap! Stiff upper lip and all that.................:-)

Actually, central valley calif, at the present time.

JS

Legally?.............:-)

I lived in Santa Maria for many years.

RHF December 26th 06 07:38 PM

Balun vs. Unun

On Dec 26, 7:06 am, David wrote:
On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 23:48:08 -0800, John Smith

wrote:
Telamon wrote:
Well, I think you mean noise currents. The signals the single element
antenna picks up are also common mode.

Here the voltage type UNUN has the advantage of DC isolation between the

Balun = "BALanced-to-UNbalanced"

Unun = "UNbalanced-to-UNbalanced"

What type of antenna you are feed AND what type of feed your
rcvr/xmitter expects SOLELY determines if you should use a balun or a
unun ...

Regards,
JS

David - What you call "Semantics."

[...]