Old December 28th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WOW - New antenna ROCKS

Finally after many questions, much reading, and careful planning I now
have completed and am listening with my new Random Wire, far end fed
antenna.

It is Soooo much more quiet compared to the Windom I had in the attic.
I had no reception on the 80 meter band before and now there is are
many Hams yapping away. There is so many more stations I can hear now
that the noise is gone.

Now listening to South Africa broadcasting around 15.24. No digital
yet.

Thanks to all who advised and directed me.

Brian

Old December 28th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Finally after many questions, much reading, and careful planning I now
have completed and am listening with my new Random Wire, far end fed
antenna.

It is Soooo much more quiet compared to the Windom I had in the attic.
I had no reception on the 80 meter band before and now there is are
many Hams yapping away. There is so many more stations I can hear now
that the noise is gone.

Now listening to South Africa broadcasting around 15.24. No digital
yet.

Thanks to all who advised and directed me.

Brian

Actually it is more of an inverted "L" as the the horizontal is about
85 ft and then goes about 15 ft down to about a foot above the ground
to the balun that is mount directly to the ground rod.

Brian

Old December 28th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Be sure you have it properly grounded.RHF will be along shortly about
how to properly ground.
cuhulin

Old December 28th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Be sure you have it properly grounded.RHF will be along shortly about
how to properly ground.
cuhulin

I have used his input.

At the far end the antenna wire attaches to a balun which is mounted
directly to the ground rod. Then there is about 130 ft of RG-6 coax
buried about 5" underground. This travels to the house to a ground
block where this is another ground rod. Into the house and to the
reciever.

Hope I have it covered.

Brian

Old December 28th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What kind of balun (unun) did you use?

I am using the LMZ-50 from RFjunkie. I would have liked to use the
LMZ-75 but he did not have anymore. So an adapter to the "F" type coax
connector and I'm in business.

I loaded a picture to alt.binaries.pictures.radio showing the direct
mount to the ground rod using 2 ground clamps. One of course is on the
rod and the other clamps onto the LMZ-50 and the adapter.
There is a spring lockwasher in between to lock them.

Brian

Old December 29th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 28, 9:24 am, wrote:
wrote:
Finally after many questions, much reading, and careful planning I now
have completed and am listening with my new Random Wire, far end fed
antenna.

It is Soooo much more quiet compared to the Windom I had in the attic.
I had no reception on the 80 meter band before and now there is are
many Hams yapping away. There is so many more stations I can hear now
that the noise is gone.

Now listening to South Africa broadcasting around 15.24. No digital
yet.

Thanks to all who advised and directed me.
Brian

- Actually it is more of an inverted "L" as the
- the horizontal is about 85 ft and then goes
- about 15 ft down to about a foot above the
- ground to the balun that is mount directly
- to the ground rod.
- Brian

Brian - Sound like you did it right with your
Far-End-Fed Inverted "L" Antenna - Well Done ~ RHF
Old December 29th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 28, 10:39 am, "bpnjensen" wrote:
wrote:
At the far end the antenna wire attaches to a balun which is mounted
directly to the ground rod. Then there is about 130 ft of RG-6 coax
buried about 5" underground. This travels to the house to a ground
block where this is another ground rod. Into the house and to the
reciever.

Hope I have it covered.

BrianWhat you describe sounds like an excellent basic system, and under

appropriate circumstances may be all you ever need. I hope fervently
for the day to arrive when I have need for 130 feet of buried coax!

Bruce Jensen

BpnJ - Give Me Land Lots of Land to Build Antennas On . . .

-or- simply buy an extra large Casket ) ~ RHF

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM