Old December 29th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default A very good tabletop radio to buy

Hello,

For FM performance only (both sound quality and reception quality) you
won't go wrong with a GE Superadio (I, II, or III), especially
considering the price. I own examples of all series (including both
versions of Model I) and I am pleased with their FM performance.

That said, I am a bit surprised that you are not satisfied with the
Tivoli Model 1. While I do not own this radio, I have heard it in
several stores and it certainly sounds good to me. Before you buy
another radio to replace it, try moving it to different locations, even
other rooms, and see if the excessive bass output is tamed. Especially
place it in the middle of your room, even though you may have no
intention of putting it there permanently, and listen carefully. If,
placed well away from any boundaries, the sound is much improved to
your ears, you will then know that it is your placement of the radio
rather than the radio itself which is causing your dissatisfaction. At
that point you may be able to find a satisfactory compromise regarding
positioning of the radio.

If, however, the sound is still as unsatisfactory to you, no matter
where you place the radio, then it's time to buy another one.

The GE Superadio is a good one to try. (Please remember that this
plastic radio is not nearly as good looking as the Tivoli. That might
be a consideration for a "significant other.") I hope the above is of
some use to you.

Best,

Joe

wrote:
Hi all:
Can you recomend a very good tabletop radio to buy ?
I need a radio with very good sound (bass and treble),
and I only need FM reception.
What do you think about GE superradio ?
I have a Tivoli model one radio, but I'm disappointed (excessive bass
output).
What do you think about Sony icf704L ?
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p...=specification

Thanks

Old December 29th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My Super Radio I (it doesn't say Super Radio I anywhere on the radio)
has only one big speaker.It works ok on AM and FM.Get a big old wooden
cabinet tube type radio which also has a big,big,big speaker and FM for
really great FM sound.I own a big wooden cabinet Setchell Carlson floor
model radio.The sound quality is amazing.
cuhulin

Old December 29th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Hi all:
Can you recomend a very good tabletop radio to buy ?
I need a radio with very good sound (bass and treble),
and I only need FM reception.
What do you think about GE superradio ?
I have a Tivoli model one radio, but I'm disappointed (excessive bass
output).
What do you think about Sony icf704L ?
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p...=specification

Thanks

Don't buy the Grundig S350-types, Superadio-types, RS WX radios - they
all have quality-control problems, and are way over-hyped.

Old December 29th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
Hi all:
Can you recomend a very good tabletop radio to buy ?
I need a radio with very good sound (bass and treble),
and I only need FM reception.
What do you think about GE superradio ?
I have a Tivoli model one radio, but I'm disappointed (excessive bass
output).
What do you think about Sony icf704L ?
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p...=specification

Thanks

Forgeot to mention, the over-hyped CCrane CCRadio.

Old December 29th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Hi all:
Can you recomend a very good tabletop radio to buy ?
I need a radio with very good sound (bass and treble),
and I only need FM reception.
What do you think about GE superradio ?
I have a Tivoli model one radio, but I'm disappointed (excessive bass
output).
What do you think about Sony icf704L ?
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p...=specification

Thanks

Don't buy the Grundig S350-types,

Nonsense. The S350 is a great radio, and is outstanding for local AM and FM
reception. Very drifty on shortwave of course, but is fine for locals. I
have 2 - a Grundig and a Tecsun. While I wouldn't want one as my only
shortwave radio, it would do fine as my only AM/FM radio, particularly
considering the price and battery life.

Mike

Old December 30th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Hi all:
Can you recomend a very good tabletop radio to buy ?
I need a radio with very good sound (bass and treble),
and I only need FM reception.
What do you think about GE superradio ?
I have a Tivoli model one radio, but I'm disappointed (excessive bass
output).
What do you think about Sony icf704L ?
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p...=specification

Thanks

Don't buy the Grundig S350-types,

Nonsense. The S350 is a great radio, and is outstanding for local AM and FM
reception. Very drifty on shortwave of course, but is fine for locals. I
have 2 - a Grundig and a Tecsun. While I wouldn't want one as my only
shortwave radio, it would do fine as my only AM/FM radio, particularly
considering the price and battery life.

Mike

The Chinese-made (no longer German made) S350 is cheap, low-grade
plastic, with a low-resolution display, suffers from drifting and
tuning backlash, has a smelly imitation-leather-handle, cheap
dials/switches, 1960's-grade electronics, plastic speaker grill, SW
images galore, antenna flops and doesn't snap into place, etc... Is
that enough ?

Old December 30th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Hi all:
Can you recomend a very good tabletop radio to buy ?
I need a radio with very good sound (bass and treble),
and I only need FM reception.
What do you think about GE superradio ?
I have a Tivoli model one radio, but I'm disappointed (excessive bass
output).
What do you think about Sony icf704L ?
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p...=specification

Thanks

Don't buy the Grundig S350-types,

Nonsense. The S350 is a great radio, and is outstanding for local AM and FM
reception. Very drifty on shortwave of course, but is fine for locals. I
have 2 - a Grundig and a Tecsun. While I wouldn't want one as my only
shortwave radio, it would do fine as my only AM/FM radio, particularly
considering the price and battery life.

Mike

My $10 Sony ICF-S10MK2 AM/FM pocket-radio, gets the same stations, as
my now-returned S350 to crappy Radio Shack.

Old December 30th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Chinese-made (no longer German made) S350 is cheap, low-grade
plastic, with a low-resolution display, suffers from drifting and
tuning backlash, has a smelly imitation-leather-handle, cheap
dials/switches, 1960's-grade electronics, plastic speaker grill, SW
images galore, antenna flops and doesn't snap into place, etc... Is
that enough ?

No. It still has great local AM/FM reception, great sound and outstanding
battery life.

You obviously had a defective unit - assuming you ever really had one at
all.

Mike