Old December 29th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Need Help Idenifying Interference on Voice of Korea Broadcast

Last night was my first night / morning to try to pull in the Voice of
Korea. However, I did not have much success due to some pretty strong
interference.

I am trying to determine the source of the interference (i.e. another
broadcast, or something electrical in / near my house).

I have posted a clip of the audio at:

http://mesh.typepad.com/blog/2006/12...cess_at_f.html

Does any have any idea what the source of the interference might be?
Also, is anyone in the San Francisco area able to pull in Voice of Korea
at 9335 (or any other frequency)?

mike
Old December 29th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike Chambers wrote:
Last night was my first night / morning to try to pull in the Voice of
Korea. However, I did not have much success due to some pretty strong
interference.

I am trying to determine the source of the interference (i.e. another
broadcast, or something electrical in / near my house).

I have posted a clip of the audio at:

http://mesh.typepad.com/blog/2006/12...cess_at_f.html

Does any have any idea what the source of the interference might be?
Also, is anyone in the San Francisco area able to pull in Voice of Korea
at 9335 (or any other frequency)?

mike

http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/temp...fkorea6285.wav
Bay area, but on 6285.

Old December 29th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Mike Chambers wrote:
Does any have any idea what the source of the interference might be?
Also, is anyone in the San Francisco area able to pull in Voice of Korea
at 9335 (or any other frequency)?

mike

Gwad, what a hoot!

http://www.voiceofkorea.org/

When you read their propaganda it raises the hair on the back of your
neck ...

Regards,
JS
Old December 29th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Did you pull that in recently? Looks like that is targeted at Central
America. Ill try that tonight.

mike

Old December 29th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Mike Chambers wrote:

Last night was my first night / morning to try to pull in the Voice of
Korea. However, I did not have much success due to some pretty strong
interference.

I am trying to determine the source of the interference (i.e. another
broadcast, or something electrical in / near my house).

I have posted a clip of the audio at:

http://mesh.typepad.com/blog/2006/12...cess_at_f.html

Does any have any idea what the source of the interference might be?
Also, is anyone in the San Francisco area able to pull in Voice of Korea
at 9335 (or any other frequency)?

Sounds like a bad street lamp trying to turn on, failing, and cycling.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old December 29th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Mike Chambers" wrote in message
. ..
Last night was my first night / morning to try to pull in the Voice of
Korea. However, I did not have much success due to some pretty strong
interference.

I am trying to determine the source of the interference (i.e. another
broadcast, or something electrical in / near my house).

I have posted a clip of the audio at:

http://mesh.typepad.com/blog/2006/12...cess_at_f.html

Does any have any idea what the source of the interference might be? Also,
is anyone in the San Francisco area able to pull in Voice of Korea at 9335
(or any other frequency)?

mike

I've managed to pull them in on 9335 a couple times (at 1300 UTC) but it
always fades out on me as the sun continues to climb. And I'm in Houston
with a 7600GR and about 110' of longwire on the roof. What is your setup?
When I was using just the whip antenna the S/N ratio was so low that I
couldn't make out anything other than the announcement that I was listening
to Voice of Korea. Nothing else recognizable, but it was all just
background noise.

Dave

Old December 29th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"John Smith I" wrote

Gwad, what a hoot!

http://www.voiceofkorea.org/

When you read their propaganda it raises the hair on the back of your
neck ...

Regards,
JS

Interest in Communist North Korea News Explodes
http://www.nk-news.net/index.php
http://www.freewebs.com/dprk/
http://www.kcna.co.jp/

Old December 29th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have got about 40 feet of wire in my backyard (running up a very
steep hill). I have the same issue as you, where if I dont connect the
wire, then the signal is too low to really pick up.

Would it help if I had a longer wire?

mike

Old December 29th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

http://www.lazygranch.com/sound/temp...fkorea6285.wav
Bay area, but on 6285.

That file was uploaded 2/10/2006, but I've listened to Voice of Korea
about two weeks ago. [Hey, it's painful to listen to that crap.]

I'll do another recording, but basically that is how it sounds. It's a
reasonably strong signal in the bay area. The recording was done in the
east bay.

Try your radio on Ocean Beach, Marin Headlands, etc. I think your noise
is local.

Old December 29th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Longer wire probably would help. I am using two twisted pairs, twisted
together (old phone wire, to be more exact.) This, I believe, gives a
better signal than just a single wire, but it is not that significant.
Length is far more productive in my experience. One question: does your
wire run by an air-conditioner or anything like that? Such a device would
definetly cause noise on your antenna. I run the wire into a piece of 50
ohm coax to get it by my air conditioner, and ground that first where it
comes off the roof and down to the ground and again where it goes up and
into my window. Totally quiet, when overall background noise drops out
enough to notice. I also inductively couple this to my whip antenna, to
gain the extra boost from the preamp attached to the whip. (Have a plug
that fits the external antenna jack, and clip this to some wire wrapped
several times around the whip.)

If any of this helps, let me know and I will see if I can come up with
anything else...

Regards,

Dave