Old December 31st 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Is there a better desktop SW reciever under than $150 than the DX-394?

the SW-2 is a pretty good receiver, but the SW-1 uses an NE-602 as the first
mixer, which has poor dynamic range. The problem is compounded by the fact
that there is no input bandpass filtering ahead of the 602.
The DX-394 isn't a bad receiver, but it has a simple LC circuit for the
input filters. When I say simple, I mean that there is one RF transformer
and one capacitor that is tuned to the center of its tuning range. This
topology gives very poor out of band rejection since the filter curve will
be that of only a single tuned circuit. Still, the receiver doesn't work too
badly.
The longwire antenna input is somewhat of a joke with the 394...........it
bypasses the front end filters and applies the signal directly to the input
of the 1st mixer.
If you can find one in the 100 to 125 dollar range, it isn't a bad deal.
Radio Shack was closing them out a few years back for the 150 to 170 dollar
range. That was a good price for a brand new unit.
The problem in buying a modified one is the mystery in who did the mods in
the first place. I have run into some pretty butchered up radios over the
years, and it took quite a bit of work to undo the changes.
Just make sure you know the technical ability level of the person who did
the mods. If they were done by somebody like Craig, over at Kiwa, then you
know that the workmanship will be good.
Good luck!

Pete

"CelticDude" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
I am currently using a Realistic DX-160 and would like to upgrade to a
digital readout reciever. I have being eyeing the Realistic DX-394,
unmodded due to costs.

Is there another desktop model SW reciever under the $150 mark that I
should keep my eye open for?

Thanks

Brian

Hello Brian,

I would also keep my eye out for either the Drake SW1 or SW2. The SW2
will most likely be over $150, but you might get lucky. The SW1 seems
equivalent to the DX-394; although it may have less features, it's
quality will be above the Realistic's.

Might be better to just save up a bit more and go for something better?

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

DWP