Old January 28th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default About Baluns - What is the Best Balun ?

In article ,
David wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:55:17 -0800, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
David wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:05:57 -0800, Telamon
wrote:

Snip

That would depend on the application like anything engineered. In
general the current type would be best for Hertzian antennas and I would
only use the voltage type on random/long wire Marconi type antennas.

http://www.moonraker.com.au/techni/q...everticals.htm

What does this have to do with BALUNs?

A random wire is not a Marconi antenna. A Marconi antenna is a 1/4
wave vertical with a formal ground screen/radial system providing a
second 1/4 wave image below the earth which allows the system to load
like (but radiate like) a half-wave antenna. A Marconi antenna is ca.
36 Ohms and needs no 9:1 or 10:1 transformer.

A Marconi antenna is not necessarily a quarter wave vertical but is a
quarter wave or longer.

In the beginning of the development of radio technology there came about
two main styles of antennas. A Marconi style is a one element where the
other is a ground. Hertzian's are balanced antennas with two elements in
the air.

Irrespective of antenna style 1/4 wave is a basic element.

Single element antennas can pick up static electricity that can damage
radio front ends. Using a voltage type UNUN is best type to use due to
the separate windings. The voltage type also lends itself to fractional
impedance transformations.

Balanced antennas can be of a closed RF loop design where the higher
efficiency of the current type transformer is a plus and static
electricity is not an issue.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 29th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 17:35:51 GMT, Telamon
wrote:

Single element antennas can pick up static electricity that can damage
radio front ends. Using a voltage type UNUN is best type to use due to
the separate windings. The voltage type also lends itself to fractional
impedance transformations.

Shunt Feed.

Delta Match.
Old January 29th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

Single element antennas can pick up static electricity that can damage
radio front ends. Using a voltage type UNUN is best type to use due to
the separate windings. The voltage type also lends itself to fractional
impedance transformations.

Shunt Feed.

Delta Match.

I though we were discussing BALUNs.

Shunt feed and delta match are tuned circuits with narrow bandwidth
whereas a BALUN or UNUNs are broadband. SWLs are not transmitting so the
need to tune the antennas output match at some frequency is not
desirable.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 29th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 28, 7:32 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

Single element antennas can pick up static electricity that can damage
radio front ends. Using a voltage type UNUN is best type to use due to
the separate windings. The voltage type also lends itself to fractional
impedance transformations.

Shunt Feed.

Delta Match.I though we were discussing BALUNs.

Shunt feed and delta match are tuned circuits with narrow bandwidth
whereas a BALUN or UNUNs are broadband. SWLs are not transmitting so the
need to tune the antennas output match at some frequency is not
desirable.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon - Thank you for pointing that out.

The Topic is : About Baluns - What is the Best Balun ?

So . . . Whats between your Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna
and the Coax Cable feed-in-line ? ? ? - iane ~ RHF
Old January 29th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 28 Jan 2007 20:20:27 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

So . . . Whats between your Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna
and the Coax Cable feed-in-line ? ? ? - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Palomar MLB. I thought we already settled this?

Besides, Paranoid Boy changed the subject to Marconi antennas, which
are not broadband, and then said a transformer was desirable for
grounding and I pointed out 2 feed mechanisms that pass DC ground.
Try to keep up.

Old January 30th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

So . . . Whats between your Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna
and the Coax Cable feed-in-line ? ? ? - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Palomar MLB. I thought we already settled this?

Besides, Paranoid Boy changed the subject to Marconi antennas, which
are not broadband, and then said a transformer was desirable for
grounding and I pointed out 2 feed mechanisms that pass DC ground.
Try to keep up.

You are one funny guy. You tell the OP that the that subject is
something other than what he meant. Sure thing buddy.

The subject and question "About Baluns - What is the Best Balun ?" I
addressed what the best type would be based on antenna type. I did not
change the topic thank you very much.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California