Old February 3rd 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) eBay and Sniping Service

"Diana Satyr" wrote in message
.. .
I snipe without use of a sniping service. All it takes is an accurate
clock.

Looks like my explanation of the value of sniping failed to take. I'll try
again. A well-off person will normally "value" any given collectible at a
higher
price than a poor person, because: (1) no-one knows the "standard" price
of most
collectibles, and (2) $500, say, looks to a rich person about like maybe
$50
does to a poor person, because the two amounts take similar percentage
bites out
of the discretionary income of each. I know this to be true. I've been
both
affluent and poor.

Except that if a more "well-off person" than you has already bid $600, your
snipe bid of $500 won't do you any good.

Sniping is pointless and way over-rated. High bid always wins. Whether
that high bid was placed in the first minute or last minute doesn't matter.
Bid the max amount you are willing to pay and forget about it. If someone
else is willing to pay more, it won't matter *when* he makes his bid.

Mike

Old February 3rd 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Feb 3, 8:23 am, "Mike" wrote:
[...]

-
- Mike

So my $1000 Last-Minute-Bid that arrives 30-Seconds-After
the eBay Auction "Closes" will always ensure that I WIN - Not !

With-in the Open-for-Bidding Time-Frame of an eBay Auction
the High Bid Always Wins -except- When the Seller 'rejects'
a Bidder and then the Next Higher Bidder may win -or- When
there is a Reserve Price and the High Bid is 'below' that Price.
- - - and, And. AND !

eBay - The Bidding Just Goes : on, and On. and ON ! ~ RHF
Old February 9th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Diana Satyr wrote in
:

In article . com,
"RHF" wrote:

On Feb 3, 8:23 am, "Mike" wrote:
[...]

.
.
. .

Ah, but the rich person, being a good American, which is to say almost
a classic rational economic man, will still want to get a bargain if
he can--especially when buying on eBay, supposedly the home of
bargains, for goodness sake! Sometimes he will register with eBay a
top bid of less than he can afford to pay because he mistakenly thinks
that this is a case where a bargain can be had, or because he just
doesn't know the normal, higher value of the item. (Note the
relatively few special classes of auctions in which I said above that
sniping can work well.)

My job is to leave him under that illusion until the very last minute,
and THEN bid, cutting off his chance to bring into play his big bucks.

Hey, it's a pretty minor advantage that seldom works! But sometimes it
does. Anyway, it's fun to snipe. Think of the suspense you can enjoy
as you wait as long as you possibly can, calculating how much to
bid--high enough to possibly win but without going over your
guestimate of the normal sale price of this particular collectible,
wondering what the last possible moment is at which you can bid and
still get your bid in, given the nature of your online connection and
the state of the internet. You get a nice little rush of adrenalin at
the end there. Time and money well spent, I say.

Moonman

You truly don't get it, do you. Anyone who wants it has already bid his
max, and simply doesn't want to spend more than that for it. If
anything, he is laughing his ass off if you do out-bid him, as he has
aready bid all that it is worth. Glad you get a rush -- you made his
day.

Old February 9th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SamSez wrote:

You truly don't get it, do you. Anyone who wants it has already bid his
max, and simply doesn't want to spend more than that for it. If
anything, he is laughing his ass off if you do out-bid him, as he has
aready bid all that it is worth.

"as *he* has already bid all that it is worth".

Well, yeah, but what's yer point?

Just because he has already bid "all that it is worth" to *HIM* doesn't
mean it may not be worth more to someone else.

Maybe *you* don't get it.
Old February 9th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Carter-k8vt wrote in
t:

SamSez wrote:

You truly don't get it, do you. Anyone who wants it has already bid
his max, and simply doesn't want to spend more than that for it. If
anything, he is laughing his ass off if you do out-bid him, as he has
aready bid all that it is worth.

"as *he* has already bid all that it is worth".

Well, yeah, but what's yer point?

Just because he has already bid "all that it is worth" to *HIM*
doesn't mean it may not be worth more to someone else.

Maybe *you* don't get it.

'yer point' is that sniping is worthless -- get it yet?

Like, the topic of the thread, idiot.

Old February 9th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SamSez wrote:
Carter-k8vt wrote in
t:

SamSez wrote:

You truly don't get it, do you. Anyone who wants it has already bid
his max, and simply doesn't want to spend more than that for it. If
anything, he is laughing his ass off if you do out-bid him, as he has
aready bid all that it is worth.

"as *he* has already bid all that it is worth".

Well, yeah, but what's yer point?

Just because he has already bid "all that it is worth" to *HIM*
doesn't mean it may not be worth more to someone else.

Maybe *you* don't get it.

'yer point' is that sniping is worthless -- get it yet?

Like, the topic of the thread, idiot.

Well, I -was- replying to *YOUR* comment, no matter what the "topic of
the thread"; By your definition, I guess we are then -both- off topic...
...which would also make you an "idiot". ;-)

P.S.

Sniping is not necessarily worthless. This is an *auction*, high bidder
wins, and if sniping gets your high bid in -before- the other guy can
get his high bid in...well, the sniping wasn't worthless then, now was it???
Old February 9th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Carter-k8vt wrote in
et:

SamSez wrote:
Carter-k8vt wrote in
t:

SamSez wrote:

[...]

Yes it is worthless. If you have already bid the amount you have
determined an item is worth to you, then no sniper is going to get it
unless he bids more than what you were willing to pay in the first place.
Period. Why is that so incredibly hard to understand for so many people?

If you just take the time to determine what you are willing to spend and
make that bid, you get to make it days in advance without watching the
clock or giving out your private information to a sniping service [who
you would still have to tell what the maximum is that you are willing to
bid -- just as you could have bid on ebay days before!]

On the other hand, if you are patting yourself on the back on how smart
you were sniping in a last minute bid that DOES win an item -- just
remember before patting yourself TOO hard -- nobody in the vast number of
people who looked at that item for the past N days thought it was worth
as much as you were stupid enough to pay at the last minute...

You aren't the one getting the bargain -- you are the one catching
bidding fever and winding up paying to much!

And don't forget too, if there is any bid shilling going on [heaven
forbid], it isn't going to faze the guy whose first bid was what he was
willing to pay -- either he gets it at his price or he doesn't. But
shilling sure does trap a sniper.

Snipe away -- particularly on anything I'm selling. I love seeing it.
It always results in more in my pocket than I would have expected.

Old February 10th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

SamSez wrote:

On the other hand, if you are patting yourself on the back on how smart
you were sniping in a last minute bid that DOES win an item -- just
remember before patting yourself TOO hard -- nobody in the vast number of
people who looked at that item for the past N days thought it was worth
as much as you were stupid enough to pay at the last minute...

You aren't the one getting the bargain -- you are the one catching
bidding fever and winding up paying to much!

Again, QUITE judgmental of you. Why are they 'stupid' and why might it
be "too much"? It may be too much for you but not necessarily for them.
They may have a strong nostalgic attachment from their childhood, it may
have been something actually owned by their dear, departed mother and
they want it at any price, any one of a hundred reasons why *THEY* want
it and *YOU* think it's too much.

Snipe away -- particularly on anything I'm selling. I love seeing it.
It always results in more in my pocket than I would have expected.

Amen! I agree 100%; FWIW I am 99% a seller (who -loves- auction fever),
rarely buy and when I do, I don't snipe. Just place the max bid I'm
willing to pay. Sniping is just a tool that some people think may, on
occasion, be valuable to -them-. Who are you to judge them?

Old February 10th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Carter-k8vt wrote in
et:

SamSez wrote:

[...]

You still don't get it. If you place a higher value on it than I do,
fine, you still don't need to 'snipe' it to get it. Just bid what YOU
want to pay.

The 'stupid' part is thinking you are getting one over on somebody by
sniping.

Remember -- the topic is 'sniping'.

Get it yet? Can I type any slower for you?

Old February 10th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bidding fever.Whatever you think something is worth,set your price and
stick with it.If you don't win the bid,there will always be a next time.
cuhulin