Old February 8th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Antenna Questions

I'm considering purchasing the equipment below for SWLing and
aviation-band listening in conjunction with an R. L. Drake R-8B
receiver with VHF converter. If anyone has firsthand experience with
these items, or recommends alternate equipment, I would appreciate
hearing your comments and advice.

HF Antenna:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html
The Alpha Delta DX-ULTRA is specifically designed for high
performance, full spectrum short wave coverage plus medium wave (AM).
The "Ultra" covers 500 kHz to 30 MHz. Absolutely remarkable low-noise,
high-gain results are achieved as a result of the tapered wing design
and ISO-RES inductors and parallel wire elements. The Delta-C Center
insulator with built-in SEP Arc-Plug static protectors, provides
protection for sensitive receiver components. This antenna must be
center fed with a PL-259 type plug. The recommended center elevation
is approximately 20 feet. The overall length is approximately 80 feet
(25 meters). Mounting poles are not supplied. The Ultra is fully
assembled - no cutting or soldering required. We recommend this
antenna for receive only.

VHF Antenna:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ants/1205.html
The Hustler DCX is a discone base antenna that provides good
omni-directional coverage from 40 to 999 MHz. This 55 inch high (1.4
m) omnidirectional antenna easily mounts to any mast (not supplied)
with supplied hardware. The disc elements are 20 inches. Weight is 2.5
lbs. Has SO-239 to accept PL-259 plug.

Ground Block:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...tect/4310.html
The Caltronics 46-7094 Ground Block accommodates two coaxial lines. F
female input and F female output. Includes two mounting screws. 0-1000
MHz.

Lightening arrestor and static discharger for VHF antenna:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...tect/1502.html
Present day receivers utilize solid-state components and have very
sensitive "front ends". These radios are much more susceptible to
lightning and static problems than their tube-type predecessors.
Fortunately, protection technology has improved. Unlike the old
"air-gap" lightning arrestors, the Transi-Trap LT utilizes a
hermetically sealed gas filled cylinder which has very reliable and
predictable switching characteristics.

In operation, the application of sufficient voltage across the element
causes an arc to form between the sealed electrodes changing its
impedance from greater than 10,000 megohms to a few milliohms in less
than 100 nano-seconds! Unlike other suppressors, the Transi-Trap
directs the discharged current to an isolated ground terminal versus
the coaxial ground system. The Transi-Trap model LT has a replaceable
plug. Protect your equipment. The LT is for receive and transmit up to
200 watts and under 30 MHz.

Old February 9th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:29:00 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

[...]

I had a sloper version of this antenna about 15 years ago for
listening purposes. Excellent reception, and built like a tank.

It's pretty visible -- not exactly a stealthy antenna, but works
awfully well.

bob
k5qwg

Old February 9th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 8, 2:29 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
[...]

Just a quick comment about your VHF/UHF antenna. I have been using a
discone type antenna for several years and find it to be fine for
general VHF/UHF monitoring. It will work over a vast frequency range.
If you are needing long range capability on some specific frequencies
this may not be your best choice. The discone seems to perform well
for monitoring signals coming in at a high angle, such as aircraft.
Just monitoring local activity it is fine. If you are trying to hear
mobiles at 50 miles away you may need another type of antenna. Good
luck with all your monitoring. 73 de Randy, WB5KCM

Old February 9th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:48:42 GMT, Father Mike
wrote in
:

Running 3 DX-ULTRA'S here. 2 way out back- one east to west, other north
to south. super antennas. quiet, build strong and heavy. super DX
antennas.
both have been up 8 winters in PA. the third one i set up as an inverted
"V" off the roof of the house. top of the V off a 10 ft. tripod and a 5 ft.
mast.
down to 2 15 ft gas pipes @ about 45 degree. using navel lanyard and
pulley's.
the inverted V picks up a bit of hash from the house, but still does a
good job.
i suggest mounting as in the picture on the Universal web site.

I was considering using a small mast on the roof of the highest part
of the house as a center support for the inverted 'V'. I suppose that
will somewhat defeat the low noise characteristics of the antenna due
to its close proximity to noise sources in the house. Thanks for that
information.

one note, these are manly antennas. heavy wire.

What sort of wire is it, copper-clad steel, solid copper, gage?

when you unroll it from the bag, be ready to do a lot of wire pulling
and straightening. i did all three in the yard, between 2 heavy poles.
after you roll and assemble, let them hang and stretch a day or 2.

That's an excellent suggestion. I'd not have thought of it.

you may want to read the report in "Passport". if i remember, the
DX-Ultra got 5 stars.

I'm sorry, but I'm unfamiliar with Passport; have you got a link?

it's a bit of work, because the wire is solid, but well worth the
effort. this last week, here in Western PA, we have had -20
wind chills, the 3 were were covered with ice- and they are still up there
and working. well worth the money.

GOOD DX!
Father Michael.

Thank you for the information. It looked like a well engineered and
professionally manufactured product.

Old February 9th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:07:51 -0600, Bob Miller
wrote in :

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:29:00 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

[snip]
HF Antenna:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html
The Alpha Delta DX-ULTRA

I had a sloper version of this antenna about 15 years ago for
listening purposes. Excellent reception, and built like a tank.

I wonder what the performance difference would be between the inverted
'V' and the 'Sloper?' In light of your comment below, the end-fed
sloper might be a better choice easthetically.

It's pretty visible -- not exactly a stealthy antenna, but works
awfully well.

bob
k5qwg

That's good to know. I suppose the antenna element insulation is
black not gray. I wonder if there's any way to change that. I
suppose a latex-based paint would work to change the color to
something less obtrusive until it pealed off. Any thoughts.

Thank you for sharing your first hand experience with Alpha-Delta
products. Much appreciated.

Old February 9th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 9 Feb 2007 05:58:42 -0800, "wb5kcm" wrote in
.com:

[...]

That is interesting news. As a pilot, I do intend to monitor air
communications. However, from the information you have provided, it
would seem that distant, low-level aircraft may not provide a good
signal with a discone. Have you a recommendation for another type of
omni-directional VHF antenna for 108-174 MHz?
Old February 9th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[snip]
HF Antenna:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3377.html
The Alpha Delta DX-ULTRA

I had a sloper version of this antenna about 15 years ago for
listening purposes. Excellent reception, and built like a tank.

I wonder what the performance difference would be between the inverted
'V' and the 'Sloper?' In light of your comment below, the end-fed
sloper might be a better choice easthetically.

I don't know whether there would be a performance difference that you
could hear, but the sloper is basically one half of the dipole you've
ordered, and fed from the end. It would be more dependant on having a
good ground to work against. The dipole doesn't need a ground
connection.

It's pretty visible -- not exactly a stealthy antenna, but works
awfully well.

bob
k5qwg

That's good to know. I suppose the antenna element insulation is
black not gray. I wonder if there's any way to change that. I
suppose a latex-based paint would work to change the color to
something less obtrusive until it pealed off. Any thoughts.

It's heavy wire with black insulation, plus there are spacers between
the dipole elements, plus there are coils that have a white round form
wrapped with wire. I suppose you could spray paint it all sky blue, I
dunno.

Still, it's all the different elements that make it work well at
different frequencies, versus the single resonant frequency of a
simple dipole of only one length.

Bob
k5qwg