Old February 10th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default terminating a PL-259..what to do with shielding?

Hi all-- what are you supposed to do with the braided shielding
material when terminating an rg58 coax cable (off my antenna balun)
into a pl-259 plug? I ended up stripping it all off the dielectric
and then soldered the lead to the pl259 by dripping in some solder to
the male plug. it seems to work ok but i'm wondering if the braided
shielding material should be making contact with the pl259 plug for
better noise dissipation or something. thanks.

Old February 10th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"tom k in L.A." wrote:

Hi all-- what are you supposed to do with the braided shielding
material when terminating an rg58 coax cable (off my antenna balun)
into a pl-259 plug? I ended up stripping it all off the dielectric
and then soldered the lead to the pl259 by dripping in some solder to
the male plug. it seems to work ok but i'm wondering if the braided
shielding material should be making contact with the pl259 plug for
better noise dissipation or something. thanks.

Yes, the braid needs to make contact with the plug. For best results use a
UG-175 reducer insert.

See:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ts/plconn.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 10th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

tom k in L.A. wrote:
Hi all-- what are you supposed to do with the braided shielding
material when terminating an rg58 coax cable (off my antenna balun)
into a pl-259 plug?

SNIP

This should sort you out:
http://www.eham.net/articles/5071

Charlie.

--
www.wymsey.co.uk
Old February 11th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Going to bed.(Ladies?) I am drunk and I am sleepy.Move,Dog.
cuhulin

Old February 11th 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Feb 10, 11:11 am, charlie wrote:
tom k in L.A. wrote: Hi all-- what are you supposed to do with the braided shielding
material when terminating an rg58 coax cable (off my antenna balun)
into a pl-259 plug?

SNIP

This should sort you out:http://www.eham.net/articles/5071

Charlie.

--www.wymsey.co.uk

Charlie - Good enough to Steal {Repost} ~ RHF
Old February 11th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Feb 10, 9:09 pm, wrote:
Going to bed.(Ladies?) I am drunk and I am sleepy.Move,Dog.
cuhulin

Just got the Computer Up-and-Running again with
a little help form the Dell Tech Reps in India.

It has been Rain All Day and now at 3 AM we are getting
Thunder-and-Lightning - So it is time to Turn everything
"Off" and un-plug a few things an Hit-the-Sack.

good night john boy where ever you are . . . ~ RHF
Old February 11th 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

On Feb 10, 9:09 pm, wrote:
Going to bed.(Ladies?) I am drunk and I am sleepy.Move,Dog.
cuhulin

Just got the Computer Up-and-Running again with
a little help form the Dell Tech Reps in India.

It has been Rain All Day and now at 3 AM we are getting
Thunder-and-Lightning - So it is time to Turn everything
"Off" and un-plug a few things an Hit-the-Sack.

No rain here for a while, just snow. Currently 19 degrees.

Great for DX'ing, but otherwise lousy. Guess I'll sorta miss it come springtime.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 11th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK BDK is offline

In article ,
says...
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:00:29 -0500, BDK
wrote:

In article .com,
says...
Hi all-- what are you supposed to do with the braided shielding
material when terminating an rg58 coax cable (off my antenna balun)
into a pl-259 plug? I ended up stripping it all off the dielectric
and then soldered the lead to the pl259 by dripping in some solder to
the male plug. it seems to work ok but i'm wondering if the braided
shielding material should be making contact with the pl259 plug for
better noise dissipation or something. thanks.

There's an adaptor you need for RG58 cable that screws inside the 259 to
make the shield connect to the shell of the 259.

You don't solder anything by "dripping" solder into a joint. Put the
iron or gun ON the end of the pin, and and then touch the solder to the
little cut out area. When it melts, it will flow into the joint and look
nice and shiny.

Ask someone who is in your local scanner group to show you.

BDK

Even if using the reducer, I still solder the braid through the four
holes in the plug. High heat with a big iron, short time.

Maybe, for listening purposes, it isn't needed, but I've always done
the four holes.

The reducer is a UG-175 or UG-176, depending on the thickness of your
cable.

bob
k5qwg

I tin the adaptor, the hole area of the 259, and only solder two holes.
It's overkill for most uses. And if I have one, a huge iron. Mine died a
while back, and I haven't found one cheap enough to buy yet.

BDK

Terminating a Rhombic Rick Antenna 6 November 15th 06 06:15 PM
Plans for B&W BWD-65 & BWD-90 Folded Dipole Balun & Terminating Resistor Dave Antenna 11 November 25th 05 01:59 PM
Shielding Question Mike Coslo Antenna 12 February 14th 04 01:10 PM
Mobile Icom 706MKIIg shielding problem ? Jim Dolson Equipment 6 August 4th 03 12:00 PM
Mobile Icom 706MKIIg shielding problem ? Jim Dolson Equipment 0 August 4th 03 12:25 AM