Old March 1st 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

Default ARRL Now Only Wants No Code Hams - Holding Midnight Exams

That's a subjective opinion, JS, and I won't fault Carl S. on
what he has done and stated in various places. I disagreed
with what NCI did NOT do immediately on FCC 06-178 when
it first broke news last December...but then NCI is really
an international movement, not strictly one for the USA.

Subjective? Well ya, all you see in my posts are one mans humble
opinoions. But then, the president pulls his pants on one leg at a time
(well, I believe he does!) and no mans opinion counts more than
mine--not even his!

NCI has REAL relevance, in my humble opinion ... your mileage may vary.

While the USA is a LATE-comer on tossing the morse code
exam internationally, there still exist other countries who have
kept it, one way or another.

Hmmm. Yep, we may be dumb, but we can always point out someone dumber!
sticks-out-tongue

In my opinion, NCI could either dissolve or change away from
being USA-oriented with a different direction. NCI's basic
goals have largely been realized and, in that, was a success
to my mind.

Yep, time for NCI to step into phase two, hope Carl is "psychic" enough
to realize that!

As long as there is money to be made from publishing to a
niche hobby activity, the ARRL will be firmly entrenched.
Human attrition will eventually cause their metamorphosis.

73, LA

Time for the "common ham" to fire up. Setup some web pages with
training, "elmering", etc. Heck, where is the group
rec.radio.amateur.new-licensees ??? Instead, we have self-protecionist
hams creating groups like "rec.radio.amateur.good-ole-boys-club"

Krist, Dee has better ideas than most, that alone should shame us into
better behavior and efforts ... are we men or are we mice?

The world is owned by the common man (in this case, common ham)--strange
how so few "common men" realize that we put amateur radio forward "one
ham at a time ..."

The little amateur who got me started, ran his rig with dignity, gained
my REAL respect and was one "HELL OF A GOOD JOE" (might I add, was LOVED
by his town and community?) and will always be remembered in my book. I
cannot find his equal easily these days ...

The arrl can go to ... well, you know where ...

Warmest regards,
JS
Old March 1st 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

David G. Nagel wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean here. The Amateur Radio
question pool was developed by a committee composed of representatives
from the various Volunteer Examination Coordinator organizations noot
the FCC. The questions are posted on the Internet and are available for
anyone to view. If you go to www.qrz.com you will find a routine that
will allow you to take a sample quiz. If you do this enough times you
will be able to pass the various level tests.
The ARRL does not have anything near exclusivity in this process. They
only have one vote in the process. I don't know exactly how many other
organizations there are but I know of at least three.
As for replacing the ARRL as an orginization feel free to do so. So far
they are the only group to stay in business.

Dave WD9BDZ

Well, exactly!

Get rid of these fools and let the FCC set the exams ... gawd, that
doesn't take an einstein does it?

I am all for private enterprise, however, when we talk about laws,
guidelines are rules governing pubic properties--we as "the people" only
have that right ...

Regards,
JS
Old March 1st 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

Actually, I should have been more clear on this.

Our representatives, and though the gov't agencies they design, should
set these "rules and regulations." "We the people", should vote in and
support only those representatives which serve us and our public
interests. Yanno, like they are supposed to work in our best interests?

Yanno, like the public airwaves are a natural resource given man by his
creator. And, since we realize that some of us "common citizens" might
work in our own best interests if not watched closely, may indulge in
stuffing our own pockets if not watched closely, may use "public
resources" for our own personal use and that of our friends if NOT
watched closely, so that we may pay attention and CLOSELY to giving all
citizens use of their creator given resources.

In my humble opinon this has not been done for decades past, indeed, the
same old protectionist policies and guidelines are being hoisted upon us
again.

We need the FCC to accept total control of these things, away from
public enterprise and interests. We need the public servants to control
these things so we can kick their butt when they start working in their
own interests.

The arrl has been working in its' own best interests for decades. They
have been able to do so because the avg citizen is ignorant. The avg
citizen doesn't even know how to wire an electrical outlet in their own
home--let alone build an xmitter or power amp.

Get real, time for private interests to be kicked out of control of
public airwaves!

Regards,
JS
Old March 1st 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

Dee Flint wrote:
"John Smith I" wrote in message

73s,

Len:

Just for starters, it pieces me off that the FCC doesn't even host the
download of the amateur pool questions "right-out-and-openly" on their web
page. This alone gives the VEC and arrl MUCH more credibility then the
toothless old grumps deserve. And, I have complained about this ... I
will continue to do so, use the public funds and keep this outta private
hands and influence!

The arrl need to go, and Carl is NOT looking like a good replacement with
NCI when he boot licks ... amateur radio needs a new start and some new
blood ... someone needs to kick some real booty here.

Regards,
JS

There are at least 12 VECs. These VECs create a Question Pool Committee and
create the pool and maintain it. Since the question pool is available in
its entirety for free from a number of websites and since the FCC does not
create nor maintain the pool, there is little reason for it to be on the FCC
web site.

Dee, N8UZE

Did I vote for these VECs? Are these VECs responsible to me under law?
Do these VECs' use public resource monies, and if so, why? Were these
VEC elected? Appointed by a congressman of mine? By the house? By the
senate?

Tell me more about why these VECs should have their A$$E$ kicked down
the stairwell ...

JS

Old March 1st 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

Dee Flint wrote:
[...]

No, you did not vote for the VECs. However, anyone could have sent an
objection to the FCC if they thought a given organization was unsuitable for
this program.

Yes they are responsible to you under the law since they are accountable to
the FCC. If any VEC (these are organizations by the way), is found to be
remiss in its duties, they can loose their standing as a VEC. At the time
the system was being developed, any organization could have applied and if
they met the FCC's standards could have been certified as a VEC.

Yes the VECs are responsible to you under the law since you have both the
right and responsibility to file a complaint with the FCC if you find that
they are not acting according to the requirements of the FCC.

The VECs do not use any public resource monies. The expenses of testing are
covered by the testing fees, which are set by the FCC.

The VECs were selected and appointed by the FCC from various organizations
applying for this task.

You may not like the VE system, but amateur radio experienced a surge of
growth once exams became available at times and locations that candidates
could get with ease and without having to take time off work.

Dee, N8UZE

Old March 1st 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

Dee Flint wrote:
[...]

I want them gone, gov't bureaucrats are enough to put up with, private
sector idiots sneaking into gov't regs, rules, exams and policy is much
more than any citizen should endure. I already pay taxes to have these
things taken care of, they don't need to hire maids and butlers to do
their work ...

JS
Old March 1st 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

John Smith I wrote:
Dee Flint wrote:
[...]

You can become a VEC if you so desire. All you have to do is find enough
hams to support your efforts and create an organization to conduct
examination sessions.
There is nothing magic about the VEC. It just takes a lot of unpaid work
on the part of a lot of people. Yes some get paid to process the
paperwork and file the actual application for your license. No one is
getting rich on this program.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old March 1st 07, 07:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 28, 7:15�pm, John Smith I wrote:
wrote:

* ...

* *That's a subjective opinion, JS, and I won't fault Carl S. on
* *what he has done and stated in various places. *I disagreed
* *with what NCI did NOT do immediately on FCC 06-178 when
* *it first broke news last December...but then NCI is really
* *an international movement, not strictly one for the USA.

Subjective? *Well ya, all you see in my posts are one mans humble
opinoions. *But then, the president pulls his pants on one leg at a time
(well, I believe he does!) and no mans opinion counts more than
mine--not even his!

All of that depends on the mindset of the "men" you are
in the company of...(he said, jangling English syntax)

NCI has REAL relevance, in my humble opinion ... your mileage may vary.

I agree but conditionally. I think it has POTENTIAL relevance.

The IARU started the code revolution in prompting for the
re-write of most of S25 at WRC-03...the WRC that made
it possible for individual adminstrations to toss the code
test at THEIR option.

* *While the USA is a LATE-comer on tossing the morse code
* *exam internationally, there still exist other countries who have
* *kept it, one way or another.

Hmmm. Yep, we may be dumb, but we can always point out someone dumber!
sticks-out-tongue

Oh, no...groan not slob-humor old movies again...!

* *In my opinion, NCI could either dissolve or change away from
* *being USA-oriented with a different direction. *NCI's basic
* *goals have largely been realized and, in that, was a success
* *to my mind.

Yep, time for NCI to step into phase two, hope Carl is "psychic" enough
to realize that!

* *As long as there is money to be made from publishing to a
* *niche hobby activity, the ARRL will be firmly entrenched.
* *Human attrition will eventually cause their metamorphosis.

* *73, LA

Time for the "common ham" to fire up. * Setup some web pages with
training, "elmering", etc. *Heck, where is the group
rec.radio.amateur.new-licensees ??? *Instead, we have self-protecionist
hams creating groups like "rec.radio.amateur.good-ole-boys-club"

THIS newsgroup was a "good-ol-boys-club" when I first
found it on DejaVu. There was no end of morsemen in
here putting down ANYONE who didn't love, honor, cherish
and obey morse code.

Krist, Dee has better ideas than most, that alone should shame us into
better behavior and efforts ... are we men or are we mice?

Wayyyyy too many anony-mousies in here. :-)

73, LA

Old March 1st 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

David G. Nagel wrote:

You can become a VEC if you so desire. All you have to do is find enough
hams to support your efforts and create an organization to conduct
examination sessions.
There is nothing magic about the VEC. It just takes a lot of unpaid work
on the part of a lot of people. Yes some get paid to process the
paperwork and file the actual application for your license. No one is
getting rich on this program.

Dave WD9BDZ

Dave:

Actually, I know all this ... I don't like the system.

Gives too much power to the forces I am opposed to ... but then, you
already knew that ...

Regards,
JS