Old December 24th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default So who won the "when does NoCode happen" pool?

Back a year or three, there was a thread asking for peoples' predictions
on when the FCC would do no-code for all licenses. So who came closest?
I know that I didn't.

Old December 24th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Robert Casey wrote:
Back a year or three, there was a thread asking for peoples' predictions
on when the FCC would do no-code for all licenses. So who came closest?
I know that I didn't.

That was N2EY's gig.

He posted about it a week or so ago, but it got buried under the rubble
of the Robesin wars.

Old December 25th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Robert Casey wrote:
Back a year or three, there was a thread asking for peoples' predictions
on when the FCC would do no-code for all licenses. So who came closest?
I know that I didn't.

Hello Robert,

I don't know if the Report and Order has been published in the Federal
yet. The new rules cannot become effective until at least 30 days after
that.
I have been told that because the Report and Order modifies an earlier
one
(the "omnibus" R&O), the delay will be 60 days rather than 30, but I'm
not
sure if that is true.

The process went on so long that we began taking 'second guesses' a
year or so ago.

Here's an update on the "when will FCC drop Element 1?" pool.
This means the effective date of the FCC action that completely
eliminates Morse Code testing for any class of amateur radio
license in the USA.

Note how almost all the predicted dates and all of the *second*
predicted dates have already passed:

WA2SI: September 13, 2003 (first prediction)
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004 (first prediction)
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004 (first prediction)
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
WA2ISE: August 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
WK3C: December 30, 2004
N4PGW: May 22, 2005
N8UZE: July 1, 2005 (first prediction)
N3KIP: December 31, 2005 (second prediction)
N8UZE: January 31, 2006 (second prediction)
N2EY: March 1, 2006 (second prediction)
KB9RQZ: April 1, 2006
K2UNK: July 1, 2006 (second prediction)
AB2RC: July 1, 2007
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007
W5TIT: June 1, 2008
WA2SI: Complete elimination not within the foreseeable future (second
prediction)

Right now it looks like AB2RC is the winner, with K2UNK a close second.

Even though K2UNK's date is closer to the announcement date, the rule
states "effective date of the FCC action that completely eliminates
Morse Code testing for any class of amateur radio license in the USA".
Which cannot be any earlier than January 19, 2007, and will probably be
late February or even early March 2007 if the 60 day rule is in effect.

Maybe I should start a new pool, in which people get to predict the
growth
or decline in the number of US amateurs by a certain date after the new
rules.....

73, mri xmas es hny de Jim, N2EY

Old December 25th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ups.com...
Robert Casey wrote:
Back a year or three, there was a thread asking for peoples' predictions
on when the FCC would do no-code for all licenses. So who came closest?
I know that I didn't.

Hello Robert,

I don't know if the Report and Order has been published in the Federal
yet. The new rules cannot become effective until at least 30 days after
that.
I have been told that because the Report and Order modifies an earlier
one
(the "omnibus" R&O), the delay will be 60 days rather than 30, but I'm
not
sure if that is true.

As of last Friday, it had not been published in the Federal Register. This
new Report and Order do not modify the "omnibus" R & O and stands completely
on its own. However, it could easily be 60 days from the announcement as it
may take up to 30 days to get published in the Federal Register and then
another 30 days for its implementation date.

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 25th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Robert Casey wrote:
Back a year or three, there was a thread asking for peoples' predictions
on when the FCC would do no-code for all licenses. So who came closest?
I know that I didn't.

Hello Robert,

I don't know if the Report and Order has been published in the Federal
yet. The new rules cannot become effective until at least 30 days after
that.
I have been told that because the Report and Order modifies an earlier
one
(the "omnibus" R&O), the delay will be 60 days rather than 30, but I'm
not
sure if that is true.

As of last Friday, it had not been published in the Federal Register.

Thanks, Dee.

That means Dec 26 at the earliest. Effective date Jan 26 at the
earliest.

This
new Report and Order do not modify the "omnibus" R & O and stands completely
on its own.

??

I thought it modifies the "omnibus" R&O by moving the automated data
segment on 80 meters to 3585-3600.

Whether that invokes a 60 day rule is another issue.

However, it could easily be 60 days from the announcement as it
may take up to 30 days to get published in the Federal Register and then
another 30 days for its implementation date.

Agreed.

In any event it's at least a month away. Maybe more.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 26th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Robert Casey wrote:
[...]

The way it reads sounds like it is being treated as a "new" ruling rather
than modifying the last R&O. But it is hard to say until it is published on
what they will do with the implementation date.

However, it could easily be 60 days from the announcement as it
may take up to 30 days to get published in the Federal Register and then
another 30 days for its implementation date.

Agreed.

In any event it's at least a month away. Maybe more.

73 de Jim, N2EY

However, I've got my VE team ready to handle extra applicants in Feb, Mar, &
Apr. It's better to have extra people on hand and not need them than to be
short.

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 27th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

wrote:
On 24 Dec 2006 07:10:34 -0800,
wrote:

Robert Casey wrote:
Back a year or three, there was a thread asking for peoples'
predictions
on when the FCC would do no-code for all licenses. So who came
closest?
I know that I didn't.

That was N2EY's gig.

He posted about it a week or so ago, but it got buried under the rubble
of the Robesin wars.

he did not declare a winner

It hasn't been posted in the Fed Register yet... that could take
another 3 years...

While that is possible, it is much more likely (based on past history) that
it will be published in the Federal Register within 30 days of having been
posted on the FCC site. That would make it January 18 for publication. Then
it would normally be effective 30 days after that, which would make the
effectivity date February 17.

Or they may decide to get all their work caught up for the end of the year
and it could go into effect sooner.

Or they may want to push it through before the Democrats have control.

Either way, I've got my VE team lined up with additional members in case we
get an unusually large number of applicants in Feb, Mar, & Apr. After that
it should settle down to the normal or only slightly higher than normal
number of applicants.

Dee, N8UZE

Stock up on the no-doze and the baby wipes. You may have some long
sessions!