Old February 28th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Redsun RP2100/Kaito2100

Nice clear reception of WWKB Buffalo N.Y. at 0400 at first light this
morning.
This on its internal ferrite rod only
CNN news programming
Reception was almost as good as on my big rigs.
My GE SRIII couldn't even hear it
This station is 13,000 km's/8,000 miles from this QTH
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old February 28th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

How much do they cost,where in America would I buy one? I don't like to
order things from overseas.Unless that married Irish woman wayyyyyy over
yonder across the big pond tells me she has found a Lowe radio for me,I
would send her the money.
cuhulin

Old February 28th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WWKB, NY /Redsun RP2100/Kaito2100

John Plimmer wrote:

Nice clear reception of WWKB Buffalo N.Y. at 0400 at first light this
morning.

That would be 1520 kHz for the curious. They run 50kW.

Old February 28th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 28, 1:04 am, dxAce wrote:
John Plimmer wrote:
Nice clear reception of WWKB Buffalo N.Y. at 0400 at first light this
morning.

That would be 1520 kHz for the curious. They run 50kW.

Ace -

Wasn't that station's call WKBW at one time?

Bob

Old February 28th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob wrote:

On Feb 28, 1:04 am, dxAce wrote:
John Plimmer wrote:
Nice clear reception of WWKB Buffalo N.Y. at 0400 at first light this
morning.

That would be 1520 kHz for the curious. They run 50kW.

Ace -

Wasn't that station's call WKBW at one time?

Google is my friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWKB

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 28th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Plimmer schrieb:

Nice clear reception of WWKB Buffalo N.Y. at 0400 at first light this
morning.
This on its internal ferrite rod only
CNN news programming
Reception was almost as good as on my big rigs.
My GE SRIII couldn't even hear it
This station is 13,000 km's/8,000 miles from this QTH

Not too shabby. Interestingly my experience with the RP2000 has been
that it has higher noise than it should, maybe leakage from the µP
board. Doesn't speak for the SRIII's alignment. BTW, just this weekend I
got to try my first DIY AM loop (37x37", 9 windings in ~1 cm distance,
500pF). Now *that's* what I call a booster. I've had some issues with
man-made noise that tended to disturb weak signals, but I bet in a
low-noise location a portable would grow really BIG ears. Oh, and
overload is also possible. Haven't checked with the '7030, the coupling
loop should be rewound with less fat wire first, but I guess it'll need
this kind of antenna for decent daytime MW performance.

Stephan, currently playing with the recently acquired Panasonic RF-1410L
(up to par with the ICF-7600A as far as MW sensitivity is concerned,
good FM, and nice sound, too, just the bandswitch is flaky and I have no
idea how to get some tuner spray onto the contacts inside the thing,
which looks quite similar to the one found in the RF-1405LBS found on
radiomuseum.org)
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
After we'd tried a few models, this vacuum cleaner didn't suck -
Old March 1st 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 28, 3:27 pm, Stephan Grossklass
wrote:
John Plimmer schrieb:

[...]

Nice catch there on just the internal antenna John.

Cuhulin, The radio is available from Kaito in California. They are a
little higher than on Ebay but if the thing breaks you got a warrenty
good here in USA. It's got a nice big sound so you can use in your
garage or in your garden too.

Stephan, Is the antenna 500pf by it's self resonant frequency, or is
the variable you are tuning it with a 500pf? I assume the latter
because I think 500 pf is a lot of capacitance. But you said the
turns are in 1 cm. Is that 1cm spacing or all 9 windings in a 1cm
space? How do you couple it to the radio?

I have a 4'x4' loop that has 10 turns in a 3" coil. I ring it with a
450pf variable. It's amazing what the thing will do.

regards,
NEO

Old March 1st 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

From Kaito in California? OK,Thanks.I will look into that.
cuhulin

Old March 2nd 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob wrote:

On Feb 28, 1:04 am, dxAce wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

Nice clear reception of WWKB Buffalo N.Y. at 0400 at first light this
morning.

That would be 1520 kHz for the curious. They run 50kW.

Ace -

Wasn't that station's call WKBW at one time?

Bob

Yes, it was the home of the infamous Joey Reynolds who now has a
syndicated talk show on AM. He was a popular DJ on WKBW in the 60's.
Old March 2nd 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Plimmer wrote:

Nice clear reception of WWKB Buffalo N.Y. at 0400 at first light this
morning.
This on its internal ferrite rod only
CNN news programming
Reception was almost as good as on my big rigs.
My GE SRIII couldn't even hear it
This station is 13,000 km's/8,000 miles from this QTH

Which receiver were you using?