Old March 2nd 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Auto radios with SW?

Can anyone comment on or recommend aftermarket car radios (or radio/CD
player decks) with shortwave reception capability? For example, some of
the European radio/decks included SW bands, though I don't know if they
are available here in the US. I'm wondering whether that would be worth
the extra cost, and whether half-way decent SW reception would be
available on such receivers.

Jim Cate
Old March 2nd 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"JimC" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone comment on or recommend aftermarket car radios (or radio/CD
player decks) with shortwave reception capability? For example, some of
the European radio/decks included SW bands, though I don't know if they
are available here in the US. I'm wondering whether that would be worth
the extra cost, and whether half-way decent SW reception would be
available on such receivers.

Jim Cate

Sony XR-C5600X

http://www.shortwavestore.com used to sell them
www.jackys.com

If you by this Sony model from a local dealer you risk getting the USA model
WITHOUT shortwave coverage.

Old March 2nd 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"JimC" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone comment on or recommend aftermarket car radios (or radio/CD
player decks) with shortwave reception capability? For example, some of
the European radio/decks included SW bands, though I don't know if they
are available here in the US. I'm wondering whether that would be worth
the extra cost, and whether half-way decent SW reception would be
available on such receivers.

Jim Cate

Sony XR-C5600X

http://www.shortwavestore.com used to sell them
www.jackys.com

If you by this Sony model from a local dealer you risk getting the USA

model
WITHOUT shortwave coverage.

It seems neither link above has the XR-C5600X listed any longer.
Has another Sony SW radio been discontinued?
Shortwave radio is dieing... Get an HD Radio!

Old March 3rd 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Guerite© wrote:

"JimC" wrote in message
t...

Can anyone comment on or recommend aftermarket car radios (or radio/CD
player decks) with shortwave reception capability? For example, some of
the European radio/decks included SW bands, though I don't know if they
are available here in the US. I'm wondering whether that would be worth
the extra cost, and whether half-way decent SW reception would be
available on such receivers.

Jim Cate

Sony XR-C5600X

http://www.shortwavestore.com used to sell them
www.jackys.com

If you by this Sony model from a local dealer you risk getting the USA

model

WITHOUT shortwave coverage.

It seems neither link above has the XR-C5600X listed any longer.
Has another Sony SW radio been discontinued?
Shortwave radio is dieing... Get an HD Radio!

Get am HD radio? Our local dealers don't carry them and don't seem to
know when they will be available. Also, what about HD broadcasting?
What's the schedule for broadcasting HD radio? Is there a deadline, as
there is for the implementation of digital TV?

In any event, it seems that it would be a hassle to get an up-to-date
AM/FM/SW unit with CD player and have it installed at any of our local
dealers.

Jim
Old March 3rd 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"JimC" wrote

Get am HD radio? Our local dealers don't carry them and don't seem to
know when they will be available. Also, what about HD broadcasting?
What's the schedule for broadcasting HD radio? Is there a deadline, as
there is for the implementation of digital TV?

In any event, it seems that it would be a hassle to get an up-to-date
AM/FM/SW unit with CD player and have it installed at any of our local
dealers.

Jim

JVC KD-HDR1 with built-in HD Radio tuner . satellite radio-ready
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LDCbS48...g=266150&I=257
KDHDR1&search=HD

List of HD & XM/Sirius ready tuners
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LDCbS48...?o=v&search=HD
&pm=3&skipvs=T&g=266150&showAll=1

Add-on car HD radio tuners:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LDCbS48...?search=HD&pm=
3&skipvs=T&o=v&g=599

Old March 3rd 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

On Mar 2, 2:07 pm, "Guerite©" wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message

. ..

Can anyone comment on or recommend aftermarket car radios (or radio/CD
player decks) with shortwave reception capability? For example, some of
the European radio/decks included SW bands, though I don't know if they
are available here in the US. I'm wondering whether that would be worth
the extra cost, and whether half-way decent SW reception would be
available on such receivers.

Jim Cate

Sony XR-C5600X

http://www.shortwavestore.comused to sell themwww.jackys.com

If you by this Sony model from a local dealer you risk getting the USA model
WITHOUT shortwave coverage.

Back in 2001 or so, I purchased the Sony XR-4950X from Jacky's. It's
unfortunate that they're no longer offering the shortwave-capable car
stereos. The '4950X is a reasonable performer and incorporates the
same receiver section as is in the 'C5600X. Admittedly, the single
bandwidth filter is just a tad broad. I heard plenty on the '4950X
when I was driving the car in which I had the unit installed. It was
definitely a worthwhile purchase, as Jacky's did not jack up the price
quite to the degree that the Shortwave Store did.

In any case, if you see on of these Sonys on eBay new or used, they're
worth considering. I used to regularly tune in to a variety of major
(and minor, for that matter) broadcasters while on the road.

A few things that weren't so great about these Sony car stereos: 5
kHz tuning increments; a frequency gap from about 7600 kHz to 9500 kHz
(the omission of 9400-9495 kHz was really annoying); scan-tuning
skipped a lot of signals, while up-down 5 kHz step tuning required an
initial 3 or 4 second depression of one or the other of the up/down
seek buttons (on the whole, the arrangement was not entirely optimal
for driving, if you were seeking to locate a particular frequency that
the scan tuning wouldn't stop on).

junius

Old March 2nd 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"JimC" wrote in message
. ..
Can anyone comment on or recommend aftermarket car radios (or radio/CD
player decks) with shortwave reception capability? For example, some of
the European radio/decks included SW bands, though I don't know if they
are available here in the US. I'm wondering whether that would be worth
the extra cost, and whether half-way decent SW reception would be
available on such receivers.

Jim Cate

Here's a review of one from Monitoring Times:
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtrevujun06.pdf

-Brian

Old March 3rd 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 2, 9:36 am, JimC wrote:
Can anyone comment on or recommend aftermarket car radios (or radio/CD
player decks) with shortwave reception capability? For example, some of
the European radio/decks included SW bands, though I don't know if they
are available here in the US. I'm wondering whether that would be worth
the extra cost, and whether half-way decent SW reception would be
available on such receivers.

Jim Cate

The BBC world service comes in fine on my XM radio. ;-)

Old March 3rd 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

My '68 VW came with a Blaupunkt AM/FM/SW radio, that worked for about
five years. I considered it a good deal.
--
Ron Hardin

Old March 3rd 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
wrote:
On Mar 2, 9:36 am, JimC wrote:
Can anyone comment on or recommend aftermarket car radios (or radio/CD
player decks) with shortwave reception capability? For example, some of
the European radio/decks included SW bands, though I don't know if they
are available here in the US. I'm wondering whether that would be worth
the extra cost, and whether half-way decent SW reception would be
available on such receivers.

The BBC world service comes in fine on my XM radio. ;-)

But Glenn Hauser said, last week, that Sirius was preempting their
World Radio Network channel with sports broadcasts.

Mark Zenier

Got my Kaito today Ryan Shortwave 31 May 3rd 05 04:35 PM
export cb radios I Am Not George Policy 12 March 30th 04 12:44 PM
FS MOTOROLA RADIOS HT1000'S , VISAR'S ,& MAXTRAC'S John Swap 0 January 19th 04 05:50 AM
FS MOTOROLA RADIO'S HT1000's,VISAR'S,& MAXTRAC'S John Swap 0 January 17th 04 05:24 PM
MILITARY USES FRS RADIOS IN BOSNIA john private smith Swap 14 December 9th 03 02:50 PM