Old March 6th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Daylight Shifting Time

WORLD OF HOROLOGY
+++++++++++++++++

With silly DST foisted upon most of the USA three weeks earlier than before,
from March 11, it`s about time to check when other countries make the shift.

All this is from http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst2007a.html
and I suppose some of the dates are still subject to revision.

Most notably, altho Canada is going along with US (except the part which never
observes DST, Saskatchewan), Mexico is NOT but CUBA IS! Why in the world would
Havana want to keep in step with Miami? Here is a summary of the upcoming
change dates. The above site goes into more detail showing cities, and exact
times of change. However, enclaves such as non-Navajo Arizona which do not
observe DST are not singled out, and must be noted only by their absence from
the list. The dates shown here are the local date when the change occurs,
usually at local midnight to two hours later, in some cases actually the
previous date by UT, in areas such as eastern Russia, Australia, NZ, and other
points east of Western Europe.

DAYLIGHT SHIFTING STARTS:
11 MARCH: Cuba, Canada [6 zones], USA [6 zones including Alaska]
25 MARCH: all of Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Lebanon, Turkey, Europe
[almost all?], Azores, Greenland
29 MARCH: Jordan
31 MARCH: Israel
1 APRIL: Syria, Palestine, Iraq, Haiti, Mexico [3 zones but not all?]
27 APRIL: Egypt
6 MAY : Honduras

DAYLIGHT SHIFTING ENDS:
11 MARCH: Chile, Easter Island, Paraguay, Uruguay
17 MARCH: New Zealand, Chatham Islands
24 MARCH: Australia except NT, Qsld [3 zones + Lord Howe Island
changing ½ hour]
1 APRIL: Namibia
15 APRIL: Falkland Islands
(Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 6th 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bart Bailey wrote:

In posted on Tue, 06 Mar
2007 04:31:10 -0500, dxAce wrote: Begin

With silly DST foisted upon most of the USA three weeks earlier than before,

The question arises;
Does the NIST send a DST bit in their data stream for digital clocks to
interpret if so set, or is the date hard coded in the firmware of the
respective clocks?
If it's the first, them I'm good for go, if the second, I'll have to go
around manually skewing my clocks over to Arizona time, at least the
ones that aren't set to UTC and don't shift.

Contact NIST or wait and see!

Hey, be sure to set that GMT/UTC clock ahead as well. Those of you in the
Southern Hemisphere will want to set yours back, of course.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

--

Bart

Old March 6th 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ha, ha!
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Old March 6th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"John Plimmer" wrote in message
Ha, ha!

Bart

YUP, Chew

Old March 6th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Do I need to buy a new radio-controlled watch, or will the new dates
be accounted for in the magic radio signals that come in the dead of
the night?

bob
k5qwg

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 04:31:10 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

WORLD OF HOROLOGY
+++++++++++++++++

Old March 6th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The daylight bit is encoded so if the National Bureau of Standards
fixed their watches, yours will be okay too.

Except my nine identical La Crosse radio wall clocks
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin3/clock01.jpg
mostly hung in pairs so as to see the lockstep seconds ticking off,
which were on sale at Kroger for $8.99 each apparently because of
a software bug, namely :

They change times perfectly, but the next UTC midnight they revert
back to the previous time, then at local 2am revert back to the
correct time. Thus changing (in lockstep) six times a year.

You can see the bug's source with a little thinking. WWV indicates
UTC daylight time; which has to be remembered in a bit somewhere until
2am local time. They got that right. But then the UTC day changes,
and the logic is screwed up, and the clock resets back until 2am local
time again.

Someday there LaCrosse clocks will be collectors' items, like the
original HP-35 calculator with the error for log(2.02). Too bad
if you sent it in to get fixed.

LaCrosse denies there's anything wrong (``the clock is probably
overloaded by the WWVB signal, which they increase in power when
they go to daylight time'' no kidding) as long as the warranty is
in effect.
--
Ron Hardin

Old March 6th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I hope DST screws up everybody's computers,,, including meselfs too.ROCK
ONNNNNNNn,,,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old March 6th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Nibbles??? When you go Fishing,get a can of sweet corn (Guy
Lombardo/Kenny Gardner,,,, Enjoy Yourself (it's later than you think)
(DirecTV Radio tb Music) and poke some holes in the can,,, hang the can
off in the water.
cuhulin