Old March 7th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WalMart sells HD

On Mar 6, 2:24�pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:46:53 -0500, "Mike" wrote in
:

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
.. .
Heard on NPR this morning WalMart can now purvey to you *fine HD
radios.

Yeah, they have the Boston Acoustics HD radio and a car radio.

Sure enough, but who cares?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5336041
Boston Acoustics HD Radio in Platinum, RECEPTERHDPLAT $299.86

Item Description

*The Recepter Radio HD is the first compact, high-performance stereo
and digital HD radio table model that delivers brilliant clarity and
high-fidelity sound. It is also the first home HD table radio to
receive and seamlessly play the additional digital HD2 multicast
programming that many stations are now broadcasting.

Key Features & Benefits:

*Groundbreaking HD digital technology

*No subscription is needed to listen to HD radio technology with the
sharpest, clearest reception and the best sound *

*Satellite speaker

*Compact satellite speaker lets you listen in true stereo sound *

*Input for iPod and MP3 players

*Play what you carry on your portable player on the Recepter Radio HD,
and let the entire room hear your tracks *

*Patented BassTrak circuitry

*Delivers satisfying bass, even at low volumes, while eliminating
distortion *

*Mini remote control

*A credit card-size remote control makes using the Recepter Radio HD
easy from anywhere in the room *

*20 station presets

*Preset the Recepter Radio to your 20 favorite AM and FM talk and
music stations *

*Dual independent clock alarms

*Every couple will appreciate having two independent alarm clocks that
can be set at two different times for different schedules *

No one cares:

"In-Stat: Digital Radio Set to Take Off"

"In 2006, 73 percent of respondents to an In-Stat U.S. consumer survey
were aware of HD Radio on some level."

http://beradio.com/eyeoniboc/instat-digital-radio-set/

"Sirius, XM, and HD: Consumer interest reality check" (Alexaholic)

"While interest in satellite radio is diminishing, interest in HD
shows no signs of a pulse."

http://www.hear2.com/2007/02/sirius_....html#comments

This just confirms, the lack of interest for HD Radio, on Google
Trends:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22hd... =all&date=all

"Rethinking AM's Future"

"Only 175 or so AM stations have even licensed AM-HD. For a number of
reasons, quite a few have tried it and taken it off the air, or so the
anecdotal evidence suggests. Ibiquity no longer reports in its public
summaries whether a station is on the air. Making AM-HD work well as a
long-term investment is seen as an expensive and risky challenge for
most stations and their owners. With the bulk of successful AMs airing
news, talk and sports, the improved fidelity advantage of HD and
stereo seem only marginally attractive. There is the significant
downside of potential new interference to some of their own AM analog
listeners as well as listeners of adjacent-channel stations. And of
course we still have no nighttime authority for AM-HD."

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0044/t.557.html

Existing RDS has the same texting functions, as HD/IBOC. For now, HD
Radio/IBOC is dead.

Old March 7th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
ups.com...

"Only 175 or so AM stations have even licensed AM-HD.

And that is approximately the number of viable AMs in the top 75 markets.
65% of the US population lives in the top 75 markets.

Old March 7th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Most of those Wal Mart shoppers around here are S..theads.They clog up
the isles and they never look where they are going.I wish I had some
kind of a little ZAPPER thingy I could take with me in there and
ZAPP/MICROWAVE/FRY!!! every one of those ''democrat'' S..theads.
A cell phone Jammer too.I wish I owned something that would ''Kill'' all
of their vehicles in the parking lots. www.advanced-intelligence.com
cuhulin

Old March 6th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 9:24 am, Bob Miller wrote:
Heard on NPR this morning WalMart can now purvey to you fine HD
radios.

bob
k5qwg

Who cares? For less money you could get an honest to goodness FM radio
there.

Old March 6th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Steve" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 6, 9:24 am, Bob Miller wrote:
Heard on NPR this morning WalMart can now purvey to you fine HD
radios.

bob
k5qwg

Who cares? For less money you could get an honest to goodness FM radio
there.

For the same money you can have an honest to goodness analog and HD FM
radio.

Old March 6th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 8:24 am, Bob Miller wrote:
Heard on NPR this morning WalMart can now purvey to you fine HD
radios.

bob
k5qwg

Here's a question. Why would anyone in their right mind spend over
two hundred dollars for a small table radio who's sound quality is
marginal at best? On another note how can you appreciate the quality
of HD radio with such an inadequate reproduction system? The Boston
Acoustics radio is not bad, I've heard worse, but still it's so
limited. This makes as much sense as receiving HDTV programming on a
1980's Sanyo television. It loses something in the translation, so to
speak.

Old March 6th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 6 Mar 2007 08:51:15 -0800, "Radiola" wrote in
. com:

Why would anyone in their right mind spend over
two hundred dollars for a small table radio who's sound quality is
marginal at best? On another note how can you appreciate the quality
of HD radio with such an inadequate reproduction system?

I have no familiarity with HD radio at all, but I presume it's
digitally encoded audio like a CD. If so, one could record the sound
(or data?) and play it on a more capable audio system for better
fidelity. Just a thought.
Old March 6th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On 6 Mar 2007 08:51:15 -0800, "Radiola" wrote in
. com:

Why would anyone in their right mind spend over
two hundred dollars for a small table radio who's sound quality is
marginal at best? On another note how can you appreciate the quality
of HD radio with such an inadequate reproduction system?

I have no familiarity with HD radio at all, but I presume it's
digitally encoded audio like a CD. If so, one could record the sound
(or data?) and play it on a more capable audio system for better
fidelity. Just a thought.

That's exactly why I want something that plugs into my existing audio
system. Something like the Sangean HDT-1.

Mike

Old March 6th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Radiola" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 6, 8:24 am, Bob Miller wrote:
Heard on NPR this morning WalMart can now purvey to you fine HD
radios.

bob
k5qwg

Here's a question. Why would anyone in their right mind spend over
two hundred dollars for a small table radio who's sound quality is
marginal at best?

How do you know it's "marginal at best"? Do you own a HD radio?
Which one?

On another note how can you appreciate the quality
of HD radio with such an inadequate reproduction system?

My home theatre system does not have dual alarm clocks let alone a clock.
Besides, I can't fit a home theatre stereo on my night table, can you?

The Boston
Acoustics radio is not bad, I've heard worse, but still it's so
limited.

Got headphones? Try a pair of Grado's with your(?) B.A. Receptor - supurb!

HD Radios are now available in all platforms - table top, auto and componant
for audiophiles.
http://www.HDRadio.com
All HD radio's incorporate analog as well as IBOC receivers.

This makes as much sense as receiving HDTV programming on a
1980's Sanyo television. It loses something in the translation, so to
speak.

Then get a FM HD componant receiver for your Home Theatre system.
http://www.HDRadio.com

Old March 6th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 6, 11:20 am, "Guerite©" wrote:
"Radiola" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I've listened to enough of the BA radios in various stores, so on.
You're right, what the hell do I know. It's great to listen to good
audiophile material on 4 inch speakers. Just like being there, in the
very back row.

The home theatre system sounds better, I'm sure. But at almost a
thousand dollars, I don't think so, not yet anyway.

On the otherhand, I like my XM radio system. And now you can bitch
about the twelve dollar per month fees.

Forget I showed up here, LOL.