Old January 2nd 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name of environmentalism

Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html

The Energy Challenge
Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-Mart

While it sounds like a promising idea, it turns out that the
long-lasting, swirl-shaped light bulbs known as compact fluorescent
lamps are to the nation’s energy problem what vegetables are to its
obesity epidemic: a near perfect answer, if only Americans could be
persuaded to swallow them.

But now Wal-Mart Stores, the giant discount retailer, is determined to
push them into at least 100 million homes. And its ambitions extend
even further, spurred by a sweeping commitment from its chief
executive, H. Lee Scott Jr., to reduce energy use across the country,
a move that could also improve Wal-Mart’s appeal to the more affluent
consumers the chain must win over to keep growing in the United
States.

“The environment,” Mr. Scott said, “is begging for the Wal-Mart
business model.”

It is the environmental movement’s dream: America’s biggest company,
legendary for its salesmanship and influence with suppliers,
encouraging 200 million shoppers to save energy.

For all its power in retailing, though, Wal-Mart is meeting plenty of
resistance — from light-bulb makers, competitors and consumers. To
help turn the tide, it is even reaching out to unlikely partners like
Google, Home Depot and Hollywood.
[...]

Old January 2nd 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Tester wrote:
Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html

The Energy Challenge
Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-Mart

What I would much rather see, for reasons related to both astronomy and
radio, would be for people to stop turning on so many lights when they
aren't necessary anyway, and otherwise use them intelligently. There
is absolutely no need to drown either the inside or outside of one's
house with light the way some folks do. There is little evidence that
outdoor lighting prevents crime, and considerable evidence that bad
lighting can aid crime, cause dangerous glare and loss of night vision,
screw up the environment and, of course, also foul up radio
communication.

Bruce Jensen

Old January 2nd 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Tester schrieb:

Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

They are still relatively harmless compared to other sources though -
move away some 2 meters or so, and their effect is largely gone
(certainly when using a magnetic antenna). My parents' plasma TV
radiates quite heavily, not like the previous CRT would have been much
better - enough to make 20m unusable in any case, and that in quite a
distance. My network equipment (particularly switches) isn't that
well-behaved either, while the computer itself doesn't emit that much
actually. Thankfully dimmers have never been an issue.

BTW, we haven't been using large incandescent lightbulbs for years,
except for door lighting where they still make sense as no warmup is
needed and operating time is generally small. Otherwise a 20 watt
compact fluorescent gives a decent brightness here. Oh, and flicker
these things do not, but my cheapo desk lamp with a 20 watt conventional
fluorescent and apparently a primitive starter does (which annoys both
me and the camera's autofocus). As someone with lousy vision I'm usually
not opposed to a bit more light, which with conventional lightbulbs
could quickly mean wasting hundreds of watts just on lighting, and
that's a bit much. (Even my computer barely tops 100W, monitor
included.)

Something that does not seem to be present yet are compact fluorescents
with high CRI (color rending index), meaning a more uniform coverage of
the visible spectrum. Quite a pity.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
Bytes are generally harmless - unless taken to bits.
Old January 2nd 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

bpnjensen wrote:
Tester wrote:
Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html

The Energy Challenge
Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-Mart

"""''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''
These compact fluorescent bulbs are not all bad. They use about 25% of
the current required to light an incandescent bulb and give a soft
white light wih no flicker. The main problem seems to be with the
ballasts. With about 20 fluorescent bulbs of various sizes in the house
we have had 5 blow their ballasts. Sometimes the light would just go
out, other times they emitted a particularly noxious smoke that
lingered for days. I have got to the point where I keep the sales slip
as they claim 8000 hours (Sylvania) and some have failed at 100 hrs. I
don't leave any lights on when I leave the house unless they are
incandescent.
Some of them, when new, emit terrific RF noise, while others from
the same pack are absolutely quiet. In spite of this I will continue
using them, but I have to test each one for RF noise before I put it in
place. The ballasts seem to give a warning of failure by stinking and I
have not had any burst into flame.
I don't think I am saving much money because the replacements are
expensive, but I keep hoping the manufacturers will solve their quality
control problems.

Old January 2nd 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 2, 10:39 am, "bpnjensen" wrote:
Tester wrote:
Of course, flourescent bulbs create RFI.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/business/02bulb.html

The Energy Challenge
Power-Sipping Bulbs Get Backing From Wal-MartWhat I would much rather see, for reasons related to both astronomy and

radio, would be for people to stop turning on so many lights when they
aren't necessary anyway, and otherwise use them intelligently. There
is absolutely no need to drown either the inside or outside of one's
house with light the way some folks do. There is little evidence that
outdoor lighting prevents crime, and considerable evidence that bad
lighting can aid crime, cause dangerous glare and loss of night vision,
screw up the environment and, of course, also foul up radio
communication.

Bruce Jensen

BpnJ - I will Light a Candle for You ~ ;-) - mc&hny ~ RHF

Old January 2nd 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Walmart promoting mini-flourescent bulbs in the name ofenviron...

I bought something for five dollars at the Goodwill store this
afternoon.It has a circular flouresecent light and a magnafying glass
lens.The light and lens assembly/unit are mounted on an ajustable arm
which is mounted to another adjustable arm for setting the light/lens
assembly at a convenient height,the whole thing is mounted on a stand
similar to a floor lamp.Actually,it is the second such lamp I have
bought at the Goodwill over the years.The first one I gave to my sister
for her sewing room.
cuhulin

Old January 2nd 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : Walmart Promoting Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) Bulbs In The Name Of Environmentalism -Yes- It Is Better To Light One CFL Blub - Then To Curse WalMart

tester, Tester. TESTER !

(OT) : Walmart Promoting Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) Bulbs
- - - In The Name Of Environmentalism

It Is Better To Light One CFL Blub - Then To Curse WalMart. ~ RHF
{ibid}

READ - The "CFL" Good For The Planet
- - - Maybe Bad For Shortwave Listening (SWL) Radio Reception
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...9e2d5d741cc67e

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...a9522a4d8db568

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2cc41080a10f60

- - - More about Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL) and
the Power Smart Compact Fluorescent Lighting Program
http://www.eartheasy.com/live_energyeff_lighting.htm
* CFLs a Bright Way to Save Time, Energy and Money !
http://medfordcan.home.comcast.net/Myths.html
* Energy Star - Look for the ENERGY STAR Symbol
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=cfls.pr_cfls
* Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
-about- Compact Fluorescent Lighting (CFL)
http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_li...aq_compact.htm
* Are Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL)
CFLs a Bright Way to Save Money ?
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...escent_faq.htm

WIKIPEDIA - Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp
-or- Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulb
-aka- Energy Saving Light Bulb

SO -IF- WALMART'S FOR IT - IT'S A BAD THING ! ? ! ? ! ?

Hence - Energy Conservation {Saving Watts} Is Bad.
- - - Cause Walmart's For It !
-aka- "Anti-Big-Business-Liberal-Thinking"

Hence - Reduced Foreign Oil Consumtion {Electric Power Plants} Is Bad.
- - - Cause Walmart's For It !
-aka- "Anti-Big-Business-Liberal-Thinking"

Hence - Reduced World-Wide Pollution {Fossil Fuel Usage} Is Bad.
- - - Cause Walmart's For It !
-aka- "Anti-Big-Business-Liberal-Thinking"

Hence - Better Quailty of Home Lighting {Natual Full Spectrum} Is Bad.
- - - Casue Walmart's For It !
-aka- "Anti-Big-Business-Liberal-Thinking"

How Many Lightbulbs Does it Take to Change the World ?
http://www.gadgetopia.com/post/5498
The Answer is simple "One" (1) .
We tend to slam Wal-Mart when we think they're evil,
so we should probably pat them on the back when they
do something good. And this is very good,
- - - Because Incandescent Light Bulbs are Pure Evil ! {Remember}

Wal-Mart Aims To Sell 100 Million Compact Fluorescents In One Year
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...rt_to_sell.php
- - - Can the Tree-Huggers be wrong ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Wal-Mart's Bright Idea - The from "The Motley Fool"
http://www.fool.com/investing/value/...ight-idea.aspx

What WalMart says about the Environment {Good Business}
http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMSto...te.do?catg=217
* Focusing on the Environment is key to WalMarts Mission
to Improve the Quality of Life for People around the World.
* Corporate Environmental Leadership is Critical to Walmart's
Future Ability to Grow and Thrive as a Company.

SHORTWAVE - Getting back to Shortwave :
What does the BBC have to say about the Compact Fluorescent
Light (CFL) Bulb - BBC Science and Nature - "The Green Room"
A Series of Thought-Provoking Environmental Opinion pieces.

The Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulb
http://www.visionengineer.com/env/en...ving_bulbs.php
gets the "European Eco-Label" eco, Eco. ECO !

Why even the Environmental Defense Org {Fund] wants to
http://www.environmentaldefense.org/...2&campaign=mts
help you "Find an Energy-Saving Light Bulb"
EDF [Org] = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_Defense

As for me - I say :
"What's Good For General BullMoose - Is Good For The USA !"
[ In Lil Abner speak = http://www.lil-abner.com/other.html ]
- - - Today we can all say :
"What's Good For WalMart - Is Good For The USA !"

this is 'rhf' and yes i said it ~ RHF
Old January 3rd 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) : Walmart Promoting Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL) BulbsI...

But,but,but,and this is a big BUT,,,, in the good old summertime,will
the bugs be attracted to those new fangled light bulbs like they are to
the good old fashioned incadescent light bulbs? To heck with those new
fangled light bulbs,give me the good old fashioned incadescent light
bulbs any day/night! I don't care how many watts I waste,I pay for the
watts I use,they are my watts.Who would I be saving those new fangled
watts in new fangled light bulbs for anyway?
cuhulin,the big time wattage waster

Old January 3rd 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 2, 6:14 pm, "homepc" wrote:
-
- What I find disturbing, is that the consumer is seldom warned
- about the mercury inside the bulb, and when the bulb burns out,
- they just throw it away in the regular trash.
-

Home PC,

What is Mercury (HG) ?
What are the sources of Mercury emissions ?
What are the Risks ?
http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_li...aq_compact.htm
CFLs present an opportunity to prevent Mercury emissions from entering
the Environment because they Help-to-Reduce Emissions from Coal-Fired
Power Plants. A Coal-Fired Power Plant will emit 13.6 milligrams of
Mercury to produce Electricity required to use an Incandescent Light
Bulb, compared to 3.3 milligrams for a CFL with the same light output.
EPA Mercury News & Info = http://www.epa.gov/mercury/

mercury the messager and the message is cfl ~ RHF
Old January 3rd 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

RH - Good Logical Ideas -and- Practical Too ~ RHF