Old March 7th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Can anyone reccomend a new radio for me

Hi

My Yupiteru MVT7100 has given up the ghost and died on me. As far as
HF SSB reception went it was ok at listening to Shanwick and
occasionally Gander but apart from that no other stations were heard.

Can anyone please reccomend a cheap, good quality second hand
receiver?

Thanks

Steve

Old March 8th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
CDH CDH is offline

On Mar 7, 3:59 pm, "steve wilson" wrote:
Hi

My Yupiteru MVT7100 has given up the ghost and died on me. As far as
HF SSB reception went it was ok at listening to Shanwick and
occasionally Gander but apart from that no other stations were heard.

Can anyone please reccomend a cheap, good quality second hand
receiver?

Thanks

Steve

Sangean ATS 909 or Radio Shack DX 398.
Doug

Old March 8th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"CDH" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 7, 3:59 pm, "steve wilson" wrote:
Hi

My Yupiteru MVT7100 has given up the ghost and died on me. As far as
HF SSB reception went it was ok at listening to Shanwick and
occasionally Gander but apart from that no other stations were heard.

Can anyone please reccomend a cheap, good quality second hand
receiver?

Thanks

Steve

Sangean ATS 909 or Radio Shack DX 398.
Doug

I have had a 909 before. They seem way, way overrated. I think the new
Grundig G5 has all the good things from the 440/803a and 909 combined. In
my opinion.
Old March 8th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 7, 1:59 pm, "steve wilson" wrote:
Hi

My Yupiteru MVT7100 has given up the ghost and died on me. As far as
HF SSB reception went it was ok at listening to Shanwick and
occasionally Gander but apart from that no other stations were heard.

Can anyone please reccomend a cheap, good quality second hand
receiver?

Thanks

Steve

I personally have never heard of a "Yupiteru". I assume that this was
some sort of tabletop. If you want a tabletop, I recommend keeping an
eye out for a 1980s Frog Series Yaesu, a FRG 7000, 7700 or 8800. I own
the 8800 and aside from being extremely touchy when it comes to power
(any sudden surge can temporarily scramble the chips, so I keep it on
a surge protector that I use as a master switch to completely turn off
juice when it's not in use) it's a great rig. These were popular in
their day but are hard to find on ebay-people hang on to them because
they're so nice. If you can't get one of those, try an Icom, readily
available on Ebay for $400 or so. I don't know much about Icoms so
somebody else will have to recommend one. After that, tabletops get
expensive-Drakes can fetch $2,000 each. Kenwood made HF rigs in the
80s, but if you're looking on ebay, you will have to dig through a
million ads for car stereos to find one.

Old March 8th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK BDK is offline

In article .com,
says...
[...]

Yupiteru makes a line of nice handhelds that go from "zero to daylight".
They don't scan all that fast, but are very well made. They don't trunk
or do anything like that though. A search on Ebay for Yupiteru will
usually turn up several models. The MVT9000 is very nice, great SSB
audio, but a battery hog.

Anyone paying $2000 for a Drake is being taken.

All you need to do to find Kenwood HF radios is to go to the "consumer
Electronics" section, then to "radios: CB, Ham and Shortwave, and search
for Kenwood. Kenwood still makes nice HF Transceivers, BTW, they work
well for SWL and UTES.

There are tons of Icom R71-a receivers on ebay. Bad AM audio, really
bad, but on SSB, they aren't so bad, and you can get one for about 300
bucks or so. The Yaesu receivers aren't in the same class as the Icom or
the Kenwood R5000.

BDK

Old March 9th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thanks for the help and advice.

Steve

Old March 9th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 7, 4:59 pm, "steve wilson" wrote:
Hi

My Yupiteru MVT7100 has given up the ghost and died on me. As far as
HF SSB reception went it was ok at listening to Shanwick and
occasionally Gander but apart from that no other stations were heard.

Can anyone please reccomend a cheap, good quality second hand
receiver?

Thanks

Steve

Why used. How about a new Degen DE1103 for $50.00 with full
shortwave coverage, ssb, am, fm & lw. Good audio out the speaker.