Old March 10th 07, 10:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default UPS in series?

Has anybody tried getting longer run times from UPS's by plugging
one UPS into another?

Power goess off, the first UPS goes on batteries, and runs everything.
When it quits, the second UPS senses it and goes on batteries, and
runs the computer.

And so indefinitely if you add more UPSs to get more runtime.

It seems it me it would work except possibly :

(1)The UPSs might not like the non-sinewave output of the first UPS, and
(2)I don't know what kind of current they draw if they decide to
recharge their batteries from an outer UPS. (This would suggest it's
wise to unplug the outer UPS when the power goes off so nobody
tries to recharge.)
--
Ron Hardin

Old March 10th 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:14:47 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Has anybody tried getting longer run times from UPS's by plugging
one UPS into another?

Power goess off, the first UPS goes on batteries, and runs everything.
When it quits, the second UPS senses it and goes on batteries, and
runs the computer.

And so indefinitely if you add more UPSs to get more runtime.

It seems it me it would work except possibly :

(1)The UPSs might not like the non-sinewave output of the first UPS, and
(2)I don't know what kind of current they draw if they decide to
recharge their batteries from an outer UPS. (This would suggest it's
wise to unplug the outer UPS when the power goes off so nobody
tries to recharge.)

Why not just take the battery out of the 2nd one and put it in
parallel with the battery in the first one? It would be more
efficient.
Old March 10th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message
"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
Has anybody tried getting longer run times from UPS's by plugging
one UPS into another?

Power goess off, the first UPS goes on batteries, and runs everything.
When it quits, the second UPS senses it and goes on batteries, and
runs the computer.

And so indefinitely if you add more UPSs to get more runtime.

It seems it me it would work except possibly :

(1)The UPSs might not like the non-sinewave output of the first UPS, and
(2)I don't know what kind of current they draw if they decide to
recharge their batteries from an outer UPS. (This would suggest it's
wise to unplug the outer UPS when the power goes off so nobody
tries to recharge.)
--

You're not going to extend your runtime near as much as you might think.
If you had an UPS with a clean enough pseudo-sine waveform to even get the

Just buy a bigger UPS!!! I use to sell them

Burr

Old March 10th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:
You're not going to extend your runtime near as much as you might think. If
you had an UPS with a clean enough pseudo-sine waveform to even get the next
one in line to power up stably (and you have to get into some very very good
ones to do that, they basically have to be generator rated), then you have
to deal with the issue of the other UPS'es in the chain not being 100%
efficient, so you lose a lot of what you would have gotten from that first
unit in the line. This of course follows up the chain.

Doesn't the UPS just pass along the input to the output as long as it's ok power?
So I don't see the loss. The second UPS just passes along the output of the
first UPS.
--
Ron Hardin

Old March 10th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:50:58 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Brenda Ann wrote:
You're not going to extend your runtime near as much as you might think. If
you had an UPS with a clean enough pseudo-sine waveform to even get the next
one in line to power up stably (and you have to get into some very very good
ones to do that, they basically have to be generator rated), then you have
to deal with the issue of the other UPS'es in the chain not being 100%
efficient, so you lose a lot of what you would have gotten from that first
unit in the line. This of course follows up the chain.

Doesn't the UPS just pass along the input to the output as long as it's ok power?
So I don't see the loss. The second UPS just passes along the output of the
first UPS.

That's more of a battery backup than a real UPS.

Old March 10th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you want EXTENDED time, wait til the batteries die, remove them and run
wires to a car battery
(can even be outside in a battery box ) DO NOT allow the internal charger
in the UPS to charge the
car battery, put a diode in line to block current going to the car battery
but allowing the battery voltage
to 'flow' to the UPS. A small trickle charger or floating battery charger
can keep the car battery at
full charge. You can use an old heavy extension cord ( like those orange
ones you get to use outside )
to connect the battery and USP. Useful backup time should be anywhere from
6 to 24 hours depending
on the draw ( how much your trying to power) and the quality ( number of
plates ) of the battery.

BE SURE the UPS uses batteries totaling 12 volts, before you even attempt
this. Any damage you cause
on your own equipment is your own fault ...... so if you don't know what
your doing don't even try.
and if you do ..... don't blame me

Old March 10th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
Ron Hardin wrote:

Brenda Ann wrote:
You're not going to extend your runtime near as much as you might
think. If you had an UPS with a clean enough pseudo-sine waveform
to even get the next one in line to power up stably (and you have
to get into some very very good ones to do that, they basically
have to be generator rated), then you have to deal with the issue
of the other UPS'es in the chain not being 100% efficient, so you
lose a lot of what you would have gotten from that first unit in
the line. This of course follows up the chain.

Doesn't the UPS just pass along the input to the output as long as
it's ok power? So I don't see the loss. The second UPS just passes
along the output of the first UPS.

I have not done this but your expectation sounds reasonable.

Many UPS units produce a trapezoid shape output but again I do not see a
problem plugging one UPS into another.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 10th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
Brenda Ann wrote:
[...]

Ron, No!

There power is checked to be sure it is 60cyc, close to 120 and steadies and
it is filtered. Read the papers that came with it. Remember, you get what
you pay for. I like "Minuteman".

For your radio the way I do it is run them off a 12v car battery with a
charger hooded to them. I can "take" the charger off if I hear Norse or just
when I am DXing. If the power goes off they will still run for hours if you
have a good battery and you can shut down the radios you don't have to have.

ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD GROUND ROD GROUND for the radios and antennas!

Burr

Old March 11th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David wrote:

Why not just take the battery out of the 2nd one and put it in
parallel with the battery in the first one? It would be more
efficient.

It would be, but there's a catch. When the time comes to recharge the
now much bigger battery, the original charging circuit probably couldn't
handle the extra current. The greater the plate area, the more it starts
looking like a short circuit as far as the circuitry goes.

Most things being now built are made down to a cost instead of up to a
quality standard.

mike
Old March 11th 07, 05:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:27:50 GMT, m II wrote:

David wrote:

Why not just take the battery out of the 2nd one and put it in
parallel with the battery in the first one? It would be more
efficient.

It would be, but there's a catch. When the time comes to recharge the
now much bigger battery, the original charging circuit probably couldn't
handle the extra current. The greater the plate area, the more it starts
looking like a short circuit as far as the circuitry goes.

Most things being now built are made down to a cost instead of up to a
quality standard.

mike

I've done this succesfully. I'm guessing the current is clamped, but
the Triplett kept 3 big-ass batteries charged in a microwave shack.

FS: GE Pro Series: 6M AL G. Swap 0 December 1st 05 02:19 AM
FA : TEN TEC Series 307 Series External Speaker Dan Conti Swap 0 October 6th 05 03:42 AM
!3.8 V DC in series. Richard Antenna 24 May 1st 05 03:14 AM
WTB: RCA 77 Or 44 Series Mic [email protected] Swap 0 May 22nd 04 12:30 AM
World Series on SW? CheeseinChina Shortwave 13 November 25th 03 09:04 AM