Old March 12th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

Default The perfect radio

On Mar 12, 7:05 am, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:
Alright, I've got some dollars set aside for a new radio. Not a collectible
or shelf jewel, but one that I will actually listen to. The two that I
currently use are a Satellit 800 and ICF-6800W. I like both of those, but
need a radio in another location in my house. Looking to spend under $600
(perhaps a bit more for the right one), so things like the AOR7030 or Drake
R8B are out of range.

The problem I'm having is that the two main contenders, the Kenwood R-5000
and ICOM R-75 both seem to have major shortcomings. (The Kenwood with it's
keypad bounce and "dot" problems, and the ICOM with sucky sync detector.)

Any recommondations on the "perfect" radio, one without any major faults, in
this price range or lower? Thanks.

Jeff

If you're wanting a tabletop and you're wanting to purchase new, then
I'd go with the R75, despite the shortcomings.

If you're looking to purchase used (as indicated by your reference to
the R5000), I'd suggest a Drake R8 or R8A.

I'm guessing from the models you're looking at that you're not looking
to purchase a portable, but since the '2010 has been mentioned here,
I'll add the following: if you're looking to purchase a portable, I'd
suggest the Eton E1 over the Sony ICF-2010 and over the ICF-SW77.
While the latter two are both excellent portables (I've held on to my
'2010 and 'SW77), they're not in the same performance league as the
E1.

My end suggestion: go with the Drake R8 or R8A. I've owned both of
'em, and they're both a pleasure to listen to.

Regards,

Junius

Old March 12th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 12 Mar 2007 11:17:22 -0700, "junius" wrote in
.com:

While the latter two are both excellent portables (I've held on to my
'2010 and 'SW77), they're not in the same performance league as the
E1.

There's a review of the E1 he

http://www.radiointel.com/review-etone1.htm
Shortwave Comparisons: I first compared these radios as true
portables, using only their built-in antennas and battery power.
Using daytime extremely faint shortwave signals it was obvious
that the Sony 2010 is still the "raw sensitivity" champ. When
signals are near the threshold of audibility the Sony 2010 still
beats the Grundig Satellit 800 and the Eton E1 by a hair. The SW77
was last in this test. I used weak signals that were fading in and
out and the 2010 would just barely maintain audio while both the
Eton and Grundig had faded completely. The SW77 lost the signal
the earliest. For these tests:

SW Sensitivity: Faint DX Signals:
Sony 2010 - Best
Eton E1/Grundig Satellit 800 - Tied For Second - Very Close
Sony SW77 - Third place

Never the less, the reviewer's final conclusion was that the E1 was
the best of those radios.

It would appear that the E1 lacks Air Band coverage:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0101.html
Frequency Coverage: 100-30,000 kHz, includes shortwave, medium
wave AM broadcast band and longwave; selectable 87-108 or 76-90
MHz FM broadcast band; XM Radio Satellit radio.

Old March 12th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

Also consider a late model (used) Drake-SW8, the one with the improved
sideband sync detector. These have serial numbers starting with a '6' or
higher. This sync detector works better than the one in the R8 or R8A.
It's like the sync' in your Sat-800.
Old March 14th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 12, 11:17 am, "junius" wrote:

My end suggestion: go with the Drake R8 or R8A. I've owned both of
'em, and they're both a pleasure to listen to.

Another option, and one that should be well within the original
poster's budget, is to search for a used late model of the Drake SW8,
which has a much better sync detector than either the R8 or R8A. In
essence he would be getting another "Grundig" Sat800, but with much
better manufacturing quality and he won't need to buy another house to
place it in.

RK

The perfect radio Larry Dighera Shortwave 0 March 12th 07 03:16 PM
One Perfect Pocket Radio? Bob Shortwave 31 August 19th 05 06:27 PM
(OT) The Perfect Shot? dxAce Shortwave 7 July 6th 04 04:08 PM
MOTOROLA HT1250 ls RADIO 403-470Mhz-DTMF-Perfect Cond ! !Lou Swap 0 April 23rd 04 04:41 AM
Perfect Antenna Theplanters95 Antenna 5 March 3rd 04 10:55 PM