Old March 12th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default why not, Why Not. WHY NOT ! - Leave AM Radio Alone

"Doug Smith" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 05:17:40 -0700, RHF wrote:
Why Not - Move about a third of the smaller lower powered
AM/MW Radio Stations that serve small {local} Rural
Radio Markets to "HD" FM Broadcasting and clear out
the AM/MW Band of a lot of the over-crowding and noise.

I don't think there are enough FM stations serving rural areas to make
this work. (they all tend to move in to the nearest large city)
Frequencies are not available to create new FM stations.

On the other hand, I can give one example of where FM is vastly better. The
Norhtern Arizona market of Prescott, Sedona and Flagstaff has only a few
AMs, and most have very limited coverage, generally of only one of the
cities in the bigger total market. But there are over a dozen full coverage
FMs and quite a few smaller ones that cover more than any of the AMs. The
AMs are, for the most part, not factors.

I had the same experience in NW Wyoming around Jackson Hole... many FMs
listenable, but the AMs did not generally make it much beyond the COL.

Move ins, in many cases, offer the opportunity for new allocations. This is
the case with many of the FMs in the last several auctions.