Old March 26th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mpd mpd is offline

Default So if HD AM is on at night.....

I don't see how it can signficantly block other stations. If the range
of it low as some have claimed then whats the difference from day?

As of yet the three AM ones I can get in HD haven't moved to hd at
night...now two of them are a bit out of range sometimes but one of
them is a 50kw so I guess they are deciding not to. In some reguards
it's a bit redundant because the power is such that probably a quarter
of the country could probably receive it

FM hd makes sense although I think AM definatly needs work. There's
things the IBOC can do to calm some people down...like what? how about
these for starters

1) giving a huge discount if not free transmitters for hd to college
radio, religious and non profit

2) We've seen similar content grouped with subchannels...why not the
opposite? Radio is known for some talk that definatly bends a bit to
the right...why not say attach air america as a subchannel on
something with rush?

3) sort of combining #2 and #1 how about subchannels that act like
the community band (88-90mhz) since that can get crowded and fm
transmitters sometimes override it.

4) Making sure that local channels retain local news and events rather
than having simply interruptions for other events

Old March 26th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 26, 1:14�pm, "mpd" wrote:
[...]

First of all, go here to find out mo

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index....ard,194.0.html

The problem is first and second adjacent-channel interference. HD/IBOC
on AM, takes up 20 - 30 khz on either side of the analog carrier (it
carries along digital sidebands). I have listened to AM-HD during the
day, and with an analog tuner, tuned to an HD-AM station from this
list:

http://www.ibiquity.com/hdradio_find_a_station

We have WTWP at 1500 HD-AM, and when I tune to 1510 and 1490 all I
hear is the sounds of rusing water - these are the digital sidebands.
Now, if there was an AM station at either 1490, or 1510, it would be
obliterated bty this digital hash. The concern, especially, is with
nighttime AM-HD, where these sidebands would be carried hundreds of
miles and interfer with local stations, or if you have a 50kw AM-HD
station locally, its digital sidebands would interfere with any
skywaves coming in from a distance. HD/IBOC has assured that fringe
listeners will be lost.

Old March 26th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default IBOC Digital "Hash" {Noise} - It is a "Additive" Problem that Grows . . .

On Mar 26, 8:21 am, wrote:
On Mar 26, 1:14?pm, "mpd" wrote:

[...]

listeners will be lost.- Hide quoted text -

IBOC Digital "Hash" {Noise} - It is a "Additive" Problem that Grows
both Day and Night and Raises the Local and Distant Noise Levels
with respect to Radio Signal reception.

Local - 7 IBOC IBOC Digital "Hash" {Noise} Generators
-aka- AM "HD" Radio Stations
Maybe Adds One S-Unit of Added Noise to the S/N Across the Band

Regional Area - 49 IBOC IBOC Digital "Hash" {Noise} Generators
-aka- AM "HD" Radio Stations
Maybe Adds One S-Unit of Added Noise to the S/N Across the Band
- - - Adds Up to Two S-Units of Added Noise

State - 343 IBOC IBOC Digital "Hash" {Noise} Generators
-aka- AM "HD" Radio Stations
Maybe Adds One S-Unit of Added Noise to the S/N Across the Band
- - - Adds Up to Three S-Units of Added Noise

Nationally - 2401 IBOC IBOC Digital "Hash" {Noise} Generators
-aka- AM "HD" Radio Stations
Maybe Adds One S-Unit of Added Noise to the S/N Across the Band
- - - Adds Up to Four S-Units of Added Noise

IMHO - Full implimentation of IBOC Across the Nation on the
majority of AM/MW Radio Stations : Will mean that "All" AM/MW
Radio Reception will be Local. The 10mv/m Contour with be a
[Boundry] that No-Out-Side-Signal will be able to penetrate beyond.

and that is the way i see (hear) it ~ RHF
Old March 26th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 26, 5:54�pm, wrote:
On Mar 26, 7:14 am, "mpd" wrote:

[...]

I can tolerate IBOC on FM. The capture ratio of FM will make DXing
feasible. AM IBOC is just a disaster.- Hide quoted text -

Yes it is - that is exactly what the HD Radio Alliance (Cartel)
wants. To force the mom-and-pod stations out of existence, or buy
into the HD Radio farce. The "clears" will force all smaller stations
out of business with interference and limit their coverage.

LW hot again last night. [email protected] Shortwave 3 November 14th 06 08:38 PM
bad night? adam214 Shortwave 4 January 25th 06 01:31 PM
Anyone see Jay Leno last night? Dan/W4NTI General 31 May 16th 05 07:52 PM
proagagation last night ?? William Mutch Shortwave 3 July 8th 04 05:25 AM
FS: Night Owl night vision jerry franks Swap 1 February 1st 04 06:06 AM