Old March 30th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Current Equivalent To The Late, Great Zenith TO?

On Mar 29, 3:17 pm, Snidely wrote:
- Very good to excellent build quality
- All band coverage (by current standards)
- Portable
- Excellent sound
- In general, simply inspires lust

I'm sorry to say, I can't think of any worthy radios.

Any suggestions?

The Zenith TO was a reasonable radio in it's day, but that day has
long since passed. The Eton E1 would run circles around any of the
Zenith TO receivers, no matter which performance measure was
compared. Indeed a Degen DE1103 would outperform one too.

But the Zenith TO is a fine radio to collect and enjoy for what it
was, and how much it contributed to the hobby or radio program
listening. And one of them makes a pretty darned good addition to a
collection of antique radios.

But I suspect that whoever is posting as "Snidely" the sockpuppet
really knows all of this.

Old March 30th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Roadie wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:17 pm, Snidely wrote:
- Very good to excellent build quality
- All band coverage (by current standards)
- Portable
- Excellent sound
- In general, simply inspires lust

I'm sorry to say, I can't think of any worthy radios.

Any suggestions?

The Zenith TO was a reasonable radio in it's day, but that day has
long since passed. The Eton E1 would run circles around any of the
Zenith TO receivers, no matter which performance measure was
compared. Indeed a Degen DE1103 would outperform one too.

But the Zenith TO is a fine radio to collect and enjoy for what it
was, and how much it contributed to the hobby or radio program
listening. And one of them makes a pretty darned good addition to a
collection of antique radios.

A Jr High buddy of mine decided to get into shortwave radio. And his
father, running a steel company, had nothing but money. Still, they
combed Consumer Reports and came up with a 'Must Buy' rating on a
Masterwork M-2896.

And he got it for his birthday.

I had to put my own money down, so it took me a while to save up for
mine, but I bought a T/O. I took some crap for that. CR didn't care for
it. Tough, I bought it. I liked it, and I used it.

Within a few months, the Masterwork was in the closet. Abandoned due
to noisy and intermittent switches. It was sold a few years later.

My T/O is still working. Had a few caps replaced, and switches and
pots lubed, but other than that...pretty reliable.

I recently found and bought a pair of M-2896's. I can see why CR
liked them so much. Exceptional build quality. And the case is very
nicely appointed. The leather doesn't retract like the leather on the
T/O. The chrome also seems less likely to pit.

Electrically, they are similar. Performance is pretty close. The
Masterwork is a bit quieter, though, again, with the deeper AGC, the T/O
is pumping up more noise. The Masterwork is more likely to overload.
And the audio isn't as full. (Though later models in the series do have
a much richer sound.

The T/O holds its own on broadcast. AM and FM. The Masterwork is a
little better there. Quieter and cleaner. Especially FM.

Together, they're both representative of their period, and their
price class. But neither would stand up to a decent rig, today.

Prices on the T/O's are coming back down to reasonability. You can
pick up any of the Masterwork series for about $30 including shipping.
And I buy up what I can find, clean them up, improve what I can
electrically, and then wrap them up and give them away as Christmas
gifts to my radio engaged friends.

You should see the looks.

Old March 30th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Actually, it is a question that I thought would bring about interesting
debate and suggestions. I merely used the TO as a point of reference,
the idea being basically to discuss only the very best commercially
available portables.

I am in the market for just such a thing and am seeking input.

Instead, utter crap : (
Old March 30th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Many thanks for an answer what must have taken considerable time to compose!
Old March 30th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

This Eton has me quite intrigued. I am going to look very closely into
at it.

Unrevealed Source wrote:

The answer to the original question is probably the E1XM, although I'd wait
for the Grundig version without the XM if I were looking to buy one new.

Old March 30th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Thank you ! If everyone cleaned up the last 'post' and the one before
it, and I didn't have to scroll down 5 pages to see some 2 line reply
I'd have no problem with it either. If some one wants to 'flame' me
well have at it, I've been on the internet since 1986, seen alot, done alot
and couldn't care less what others think as to HOW things 'should be done'.
if its easier for me, to do something or I think its a 'better way', thats
how
I'll do it.

"lsmyer" wrote in message
For what it's worth, top posting is infinitely better for me. I wish
everybody top posted.

But I've seen some horrendous flaming aimed at top-posters, so I usually
just delete the entire post and put my comments by themselves. It loses
some of the continuity, but it makes it easier to read.

For those who have dial-up or limited bandwidth, short posts are greatly
appreciated.

Old March 31st 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I wouldn't call it ALL crap. Just most of it. You started by stating that
you wanted:

- Very good to excellent build quality
- All band coverage (by current standards)
- Portable
- Excellent sound
- In general, simply inspires lust

just like the TransOceanics did, IN THEIR DAY.

Some people felt it necessary to downgrade the TO, and pointed out that
current day radios outperform them. Duh. If I understand what you meant, I
would stick by my original recommendation of the Eton E1. It is the
modern-day equivalent; a premium-quality, high performance radio with all of
the features you are looking for. Of course the lust thing is subjective,
but just like a 69 Mustang inspired lust when it was new, it is of course
outperformed by even the most modest of today's technology.

Old March 31st 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Restored Zenith L600 Transoceanic SW Radio Item number: 150102030741
$910
ZENITH TRANSOCEANIC BOMBER SHORTWAVE RADIO Item number: 140095894830
$787.00
NEAR MINT LEATHER ZENITH SHORTWAVE TRANSOCEANIC RADIO Item number:
140094839134 $297.23
Zenith R-520/URR military Transoceanic Item number: 250096031644 $760.00
ZENITH 7000 TRANSOCEANIC SHORTWAVE RECEIVER D7000 EXC Item number:
250095039125 $356.00
Zenith Transoceanic Y600 Brown Leather . exc condition Item number:
190093396520 $345.00

It all depends on the condition, of course. Again, you don't know what
you're talking about.

"labtech1" wrote in message
prices I found on several web sites ( not e-bay but what the seller is
ASKING for them ):

1) Zenith Transoceanic Royal 3000-1 radio $56.55
2) Antique Zenith Short Wave Trans-Oceanic Tube Radio $25.00
3) Zenith Wave-Magnet Trans Oceanic Tube Shortwave Radio $49.95
4) Zenith H500 Trans Oceanic Shortwave Wave Magnet Radio $48.50
5) Zenith L507 5L42 Transoceanic Tube Radio Shortwave 1953 $24.99
6) Zenith Transoceanic Short Wave Radio Model No. 8G005 $24.99