Old March 31st 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Receivers

Is short wave worth listing to?
I bought a little radio to listen to at night and it is nothing like when I
was a kid.

--
I didn't know BMW made cars until I passed one.

Old April 1st 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Mark F." wrote in message
Is short wave worth listing to?
I bought a little radio to listen to at night and it is nothing like when

was a kid.

I think it is. I love shortwave radio. I have been a listener for many
years. As far as things being like they were when we were kids, I don't
thing anything is. But, in many respects, shortwave listening is close to
what it was a long time ago, especially if you use an analog receiver. You
still get to tune past all the whistles, pops, interference, and strange
noises, while trying to find distant stations or signals.

You still get to try to find the best antenna for your current conditions,
and it still changes with season and times. I have a lot of radio
receivers, but I still use my old analog Drake and Kenwood more than any
because when DXing slowly across the bands, I just enjoy tuning past
everything one may come across. Digital recievers are great for targeting
stations, but for general listening, I prefer analog.

I wish this group would go back to discussing shortwave listening more. I
killfile most of the trolls and bums, but it's hard to avoid all of them.

--
I didn't know BMW made cars until I passed one.

Old April 1st 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
CDH CDH is offline

On Mar 31, 7:01 pm, "SWL-2010" wrote:
"Mark F." wrote in message

I wish this group would go back to discussing shortwave listening more. I

killfile most of the trolls and bums, but it's hard to avoid all of them.

AMEN

Doug

Old April 1st 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 31, 6:36 pm, "Mark F." wrote:
Is short wave worth listing to?
I bought a little radio to listen to at night and it is nothing like when I
was a kid.

--
I didn't know BMW made cars until I passed one.

Dear Mark,

Please note that we are now at the "bottom" of the eleven-year sunspot
cycle so shortwave reception is at its "worst." Of course, that does
not mean that there isn't much to hear! There are plenty of exotic
stations and many, many interesting programs in addition to news of a
quality that one can only rarely find on US stations. What the
"bottom" of the sunspot cycle does mean is that it is now more
challenging to hear overseas stations but it can be done if you know
what you're doing and have patience. Last night at midnight ET (0400
UTC), for example, on my Sony ICF-SW7600GR receiver/Sony AN-LP1
antenna, I was able to clearly hear Radio Australia (15515 kHz) and
Radio New Zealand International (13730 kHz). At other times of the day
Voice of Vietnam, China (both via Canada relay), Cuba, Israel, Iran,
Sweden, India, Thailand (Delano relay), BBC, Deutsche Welle, and many
more countries can be heard as well.

Buy the new WRTH and the new PASSPORT TO WORLD BAND RADIO (less than
$40.00 total for both from Amazon) and you will see what is available
for you to hear.

The sunspot count will improve, probably starting next year, and we
should reach the "top" (when reception conditions are "best") around
the year 2010 or 2011. Always remember, though, that shortwave radio
signals can be heard no matter what the condition of the sunspot
cycle. Listening becomes "easier" as they increase and more
"difficult" when they lessen, but the signals are still there.

Best,

Joe

P.S. I might mention that while you do not necessarily need an
expensive radio to hear all these broadcasts, a better radio and,
especially, a better antenna always help in both ease and quality of
reception.

Old April 1st 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 31, 6:11 pm, "Mark F." wrote:
That's what I remember. Could be wrong.
It was 1970 in Flint Michigan, I was 10.
If I remember correctly it was a BBC broadcast form that area. Then again it
could have been from somewhere else.

It was probably the Antigua relay. Antigua was mothballed a couple
years ago because diesel to run the generators had become too
expensive. There are so many island nations in the Caribbean that most
people mix and match them mentally all the time. If people think of
the Caribbean at all, they think of Cuba and Haiti, which are in the
news all the time because they're so troubled and in Cuba's case
constantly poking the US. Puerto Rico and Jamaica may get some name
recognition, along with Aruba. (Most people don't know that Puerto
Rico is part of the US, including 1992 presidential dark horse
candidate Ross Perot.)

Beyond that people are on shaky ground. The Bahamas has been in the
news lately because of Anna Nicole Smith. When people talk about the
ultra rich having private islands in the Caribbean, they're
unknowingly referring to the Bahamas chain. Most people don't know
that the average Bahamian is black, because all they hear about are
rich Americans who own mansions there. So don't feel bad.

"dxAce" wrote in message

"Mark F." wrote:

My dad had an 1955 big old Grundig AM/FM/SW and it was great to listen to
night.
We would listen to jazz from Denmark and Classical from the Bahaman's.
All I here now is that I am a sinner and am going strait to HELL. Well I
guess someone has to go there.

Bahamas on shortwave, with a 1955 Grundig?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

SW PC receivers Bill Shortwave 15 July 22nd 04 01:32 PM
Radio Intel announcing a slew of small receivers Diverd4777 Shortwave 4 February 7th 04 01:40 PM
HF Receivers FS milradio Boatanchors 0 December 8th 03 01:37 PM
Compact Flash Card Type Radio Receivers Ram S Iyer Dx 0 August 27th 03 06:45 AM
Compact Flash Card Type Radio Receivers Ram S Iyer Dx 0 August 27th 03 06:45 AM